The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Aspen Pittman In Memorium
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Aspen Pittman

I heard that Aspen has passed in a car accident. I am shocked. He was so generous with his knowledge.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sghi-1yJEbs#dialog
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Aspen Pittman In Memorium

Aspen Pittman, my cousin, was killed in a terrible car crash on Friday. Besides being a great guy- incredibly creative, ingenious, high energy, generous and hilarious, he was a huge contributor to the guitar playing and music business in general. He was the epitome of an entrepreneur. Here are some of the highlights of his contributions:
manager of the 1st Guitar Center in Hollywood as a very young man
general manager of Acoustic Control Corp- iconic guitar and bass amps of the 60's and beyond
The inventor and president of Groove Tubes- the creation of the boutique tube industry that is now ubiquitous
At one time owned the largest collection of vintage guitar amps in the world
The author of The Tube Amp book- a landmark compendium of the history, impact and technical aspects of the electric guitar amp
The president of GT Electronics- wide range of boutique guitar amps and preamps, the first commercial amplifier load box, first commercial amplifiers designed to work with multiple tube types, the development of the Vipre, Supre, Glory Comp and Brick high quality studio electronics, microphones and more
The co-inventor of SFX technology (licensed by Fender) and the development of Centerpoint Stereo Space Station "3D" speakers
President of the Sapphire Club- the organization of LA audio engineers dating back from the 1940's
There is too much more to list here, but it is obvious that he was a major force in the guitar industry. Besides being a huge enthusiast of classic cars, baseball, guitars, German watches, exotic birds, and other collectibles, he was a devoted family man and devout Christian.

This is a huge loss for the guitar community, and for our family, We miss him terribly. RIP Cousin

Last edited by gtrman100; 1 week ago at 01:37 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ugh... just awful... sorry for your loss...

We have so few real pioneers left among us
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A true original, sadly to be missed. Had a unique audio perspective, and brought it to life. It was easy to imagine that his personality was in all the gear he designed. And which now survives him.
He made some good microphones too.
R.I.P. A.P.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A great man

I got to know Aspen through the Hollywood Sapphire Group here in LA. He was a well respected guru of all things pro audio nd tubes. We became friends over the last 3 years. I had a tremendous admiration for his accomplishments and his passion for creating and inventing cool stuff.

Rest in peace, my brother. I know you are with God now. You will be sorely missed by many of us.
Old 1 week ago
Always a pleasure to hear Aspen talk about gear. RIP
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Aspen

Truly an amazing chap. I got to chatting with him via email when he modded my bricks. I really looked up to him from a far and I genuinely believe he made the best outboard in the industry. The Vipre and Supre are in my opinion the best preamps money can buy. If you’re looking for the holy grails these are it. I also remember shooting out tubes for a very long time and the GT’s always won out. I hope he is held in the same regard as Les Paul, Rupert Neve and Bill Putnam. Aspen is someone I will never stop referring to as brilliant.
Old 1 week ago
I had the pleasure of meeting Aspen several times.

I also bought his book The Tube Amp Book https://amzn.to/2YGFgVp

It was very cool the way he pioneered new pro audio products

We interviewed him several times in our trade show video reports.

RIP - A big man and a big loss to pro audio.

Condolences to his family from all of us at Gearslutz
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Great guy who really knew his stuff. RIP Aspen.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

As a keyboard player, I couldn't be without my SpaceStation V3 anymore. It's the amp I've been waiting for all my professional life.
Tremendous gratitude.
RIP Mr. Pittman.
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear

I met Aspen through Craigslist when I was looking for a vintage amp. I entered his warehouse and felt like I was at a musical and classic car Disneyland. The guitars, amps, mic's, cars and misc memorabilia were impressive. The man behind them all was even more impressive. He generously spent time with me, shared his passions and his studio. We developed a bit of a friendship and I loved stopping in when I was in the area. On one of my visits he proudly showed me how he was remodeling his warehouse I bought a few of his guitars, mostly because he said "Oh, you'll love the tone of this one" and "this one is a true classic".
I just spoke to Aspen last Thursday, Aug 15, the day before he passed. I was so excited as he was going to record my band. :-(
So sad I won't be seeing my friend until we reconnect on the other side. He was a great and generous man. Something tells me he is working on higher levels of music, something we mortals won't quite understand for a time. Love and peace my friend. Godspeed Aspen, Vicki Sanchez

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search