The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
R.I.P. Brendan Higgs
Old 27th July 2019
Gear Head

R.I.P. Brendan Higgs

Rest in Peace Brendan Higgs

(note: I this is edited from a note I put in a local newspaper this morning in his current home town in Northern California)

Brendan was a recording engineer on Olivia Newton John's Xanadu album, toured as live sound engineer with Black Sabbath, Ozzy Ozbourne, Electric Light Orchestra and many others. He told me he apprenticed under an engineer nicknamed "Mack the Knife" (for his tape splicing skills).

I met him back in 2001 when I needed someone to help me record and mix a rock band and he stepped up, over the course of several weeks I learned an amazing amount of things about mixing, compression, and Equalization, replaced my studio monitors at his suggestion with a pair of Tannoy Reveal Active's that I still use today.

I found this online: http://www.elodiscovery.com/Jeff-Lyn...3-04-2014.html
"Brendan Higgs was sound engineer in concerts (ELO, Supertramp, ELO, INXS, Heart, Ozzy Osbourne...) and worked for Jet Records among others. He has been a plumber for years now!"

Brendan, (after spending a few months sleeping on Ozzy's couch in LA I believe) in his own words "got sick of it all" and became a licensed plumber which was his main source of income when I met him.

Brendan and I were involved in several community related sound projects in the town I used to live in (I left in 2007 for a job as Universal Audio's IT manager) writing a grant to replace the sound system and then negotiating with equipment vendors until we were able to get everything we needed for the exact amount of the grant.

Ironically, I tried to reach out to Brendan via Facebook a few weeks ago, as we had not spoken in a few years since I moved, wanted to show him my new studio, I guess I should have made a more direct approach than sending a FB invite.

I miss you Brendan and I'm sure everyone who knew you will miss you too.

- Joel Braverman
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks Joel for sharing that story, it means a lot in the age of anonymous web posting and puts change of career in an inspiring perspective. RIP Brendan Higgs, glad to have heard about you.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

A lovely tribute to your friend and mentor Joel. RIP Brendan.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search