The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP Geoff Emerick
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Genious composer + great musicians + wonderful engineers = WORK OF ART to be enjoyed forever = Musical heritage = Music for Heaven and Earth

Thanks Geoff Emerick, we´ll keep learning you.

RIP
Old 5th October 2018
500 series nutjob

:(

RIP Geoff
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

I had the pleasure of meeting Geoff a few years ago - he was an super awesome guy to chat with. I am sure he will be missed by friends and family.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Nut

Richard Lush told me of an early experience as a very young assistant ( on Sgt Pepper).

Geoff : " Richard run down and mic up that Vox amp".

Richard (nervously) : " Where will I put the mic ?"

Geoff ( impatiently : " In front of the f*cking amplifier !!"

So much for all the complex Beatle mic placement theories .
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

I must admit that I began to worry about Mr. Emerick when he sorta disappeared from his own GS Q&A for a bit (with several unanswered questions left).

...Then, a moderator's message appeared asking for more questions.

Shortly thereafter, several new questions appeared (and a few were answered).

...Then everything went silent.

That's when I really started to worry.

I rarely participate in "RIP threads" on GS, but the death of this man has effected me more than I would have thought.

From what I can tell, he was not only a "game changer" engineer/producer, but also a true gentleman who was always helpful and polite (even when nobody was looking).

Thanks, Geoff!

Wherever you are, you should be pleased that your work lives on and inspires many people.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post

From what I can tell, he was not only a "game changer" engineer/producer, but also a true gentleman who was always helpful and polite (even when nobody was looking).

Thanks, Geoff!

Wherever you are, you should be pleased that your work lives on and inspires many people.

Thanks Geoff
Attached Files

ADITL last string bit.mp3 (1.35 MB, 484 views)

Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting the video ... I got no work done ... but it was great to hear the interview !

Thanks
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

I posted this April 1, 2009:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post
last year, at a fab faux concert at the beacon theater in nyc, geoff emerick was in the lobby, autographing copies of his book...

i waited til the masses went away, and at the end of the night, i went to him, and said...

"i just want to thank you, because you are probably the reason i am an audio engineer today..."

he looked at me in mock horror, and started to run away, and said..."well, don't blame me!"

we both broke into laughter.

he was truly a modest english gentleman, unimpressed by his work.

you are admired, geoff.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post
I met him once.
He seemed like a really nice man.

I recommend his book.
Just got in to reading it. This funny little anecdote is Fab

Paraphrased from Page 57.
"And then there were the 'Massed Alberts", another eccentric Parlophone signing by George Martin. (also a favourite of Lennon`s)
Booked into studio 2 to perform "An evening of British rubbish" to a live audience.
At the afternoon rehearsal one of the characters let of a starting gun(slapstick)and sausages came out.
We did not factor in the acoustic material in the ceiling though. Actually it was just seaweed ....hanging in fine netting; the theory being that it would absorb the damp and it had not been vibrated in years.
When the pistol went of it rained soot,turning all the chairs and floors black.
Every brown coat in EMI was ensconced to clean it all up and be ready for the evening performance.

'Massed Alberts" with Spike Milligan and others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Rest in peace.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

From Paul: "Woke up this morning to the sad news of Geoff Emerick’s passing. He was a great engineer and friend, and even though The Beatles had many great engineers over the years Geoff was the ONE. He was smart, fun-loving and the genius behind many of the great sounds on our records. I worked with him after The Beatles and it was always fun and the sounds he managed to conjure up were always special. Having seen him earlier this year when he came round to our studio I’m shocked and saddened to have lost such a special friend. God bless you Geoffrey – love Paul. x"
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search