The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
R.I.P Holger Czukay Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

R.I.P Holger Czukay

Reports from Germany say that we have lost another true giant from the world of rock music. Rest easy Holger.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Guru

R.I.P

Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Sad...

...very sad.

Farewell Holger you enriched my life.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Oh No!
We've just lost Jaki Liebezeit this year, and now this...
Old 7th September 2017
Very sad to see him go. Can was one of the things that made the mid 70s enjoyable and, at least while you were listening, hip.

RIP, Mr Czukay.
Old 27th September 2017
ah noooooooooo
such a bad news

RIP Holger and thank you
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Only Irmin left now. :-(
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

I've never heard of him...
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Only Irmin left now. :-(
No, Damo Suzuki is still alive as well.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Excuse me, but this thread is not for people who've never heard of him.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
A strange place to profess your ignorance. Not sure what to make of it...
Old 28th September 2017
Quote:

well it's not a crime (in fact, in terms of electronic, experimental & krautrock it almost is a crime not to know about him ), but you've got internet at yours disposal.

CAN was the band of nearly the same magnitude as kraftwerk, and indeed they did the similar thing approaching from entirely different direction.
(of course, this claim might be debatable for fans of both bands.)

i find the fact that Holger died in old Can's studio especially touching.
i guess it was cheaper rent for him... i always wandered about this old legends, but at the same time bohemians and never wealthy stars, how they survived after the collapse of 'old times' record industry and royalties...

speaking of can and obituaries, i've learned about Jaki Liebezeit's death only now, when i've heard about Czukay.
i'm devastated.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Drag. Saw a pic of his studio, awesome. The Pope on vocals? Beyond awesome.
Old 28th September 2017
RIP. CAN are definetly in my top 10. One of the most original music groups of all time.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
well it's not a crime (in fact, in terms of electronic, experimental & krautrock it almost is a crime not to know about him ), but you've got internet at yours disposal.

i find the fact that Holger died in old Can's studio especially touching.
i guess it was cheaper rent for him... i always wandered about this old legends, but at the same time bohemians and never wealthy stars, how they survived after the collapse of 'old times' record industry and royalties...

speaking of can and obituaries, i've learned about Jaki Liebezeit's death only now, when i've heard about Czukay.
i'm devastated.
If you sample you owe Holger. It is that simple.

Holger was found in his apartment, not the studio.
Either way CAN Studio = Holger's studio. He was the studio guy of CAN.
Back in the '70s after CAN split he bought practically every piece of valve studio gear he could find and equipped his own laboratory/studio. He did run CAN's Inner Space Studio near Köln, Karoli owned Outer Space Studio in southern France.
Just like Jaki Holger has quite busy since CAN, working with Jah Wobble, Brian Eno etc.

I don't think it was ever about the money for anybody in CAN (except may be Roscoe Gee and Reebop Kwaku Bah if rumours are to be believed).
I'm sure Holger was just happy that it paid for itself.

You do know that Michael Karoli has passed? :-)
Old 29th September 2017
Quote:
If you sample you owe Holger. It is that simple.
well... in fact, you are right. good point.

Quote:
Holger was found in his apartment, not the studio.
Either way CAN Studio = Holger's studio. He was the studio guy of CAN.
Back in the '70s after CAN split he bought practically every piece of valve studio gear he could find and equipped his own laboratory/studio. He did run CAN's Inner Space Studio near Köln, Karoli owned Outer Space Studio in southern France.
Just like Jaki Holger has quite busy since CAN, working with Jah Wobble, Brian Eno etc.
i didn't research further from the rolling stone link on this thread (which took information from köln newspapers), and had impression that czukay moved his apartment into 'inner space' (the former movie theatre).
i'm just pointing out, that he died (if i'm not mistaken?) in the same room where some of legendary recordings took place.
it's almost as he has died while recording. though in reality he was maybe watching tv...

are you from germany, did you happen to know some of can members?

yes, i know some of their post-can works, and am looking forward to collect more of them. so far i have only czukay + sylvian works.

Quote:
I don't think it was ever about the money for anybody in CAN (except may be Roscoe Gee and Reebop Kwaku Bah if rumours are to be believed).
I'm sure Holger was just happy that it paid for itself.

You do know that Michael Karoli has passed? :-)

yes, i knew about Karoli, it was some years ago.
what i find scary is - there are cool musicians here and there, but i just don't see young people who would step into boots of czukay, liebezeit & karoli, froese or bowie...

the money issue?
art/ experimental music isn't really about getting rich, but some people manage to make a decent living even in that circuit.
i know that Froese & co. earned quite a lot, Schulze earned some decent money, Moebius 'never earned much' (as he says in bbc documentary) from his music, and Fricke died in poverty.

so, as i feel quite nostalgic about the 70s record industry (which wasn't a perfect system by all means...), i always wondered - where was the borderline? which krautrock (or any art music acts for that matter) managed to make a living from albums, and which ones did it just for the sake of the creation, while having day jobs?

i was never sure about can...
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

I grew up in Germany and a CAN free concert was the first gig I went to.

Bit young otherwise but we were subletting rooms to students at the time and every single one owned a copy of Monster Movie. I grew up hearing Yoo Doo Right at full blast everyday for a while. :-)

CAN were probably a bit different than the other german bands (don't know much about the others) in that they all had a life in music before.
Czukay and Schmidt (a conductor by trade) studied under Stockhausen, Karoli studied under Czukay and Jaki was the leading Free Jazz drummer in Europe.
The whole thing was run as a collective according to their biographies with Schmidt the musical producer and Holger in charge of technical production.
Nobody ever left, Malcolm and Damo still got paid the same as everyone else which apparently led to friction between Czukay, Schmidt etc and Rosko Gee.
An interesting band on many levels and I'm still listening to them nearly 50 years later...
Old 30th September 2017
Quote:

the money issue?
art/ experimental music isn't really about getting rich, but some people manage to make a decent living even in that circuit.
i know that Froese & co. earned quite a lot, Schulze earned some decent money, Moebius 'never earned much' (as he says in bbc documentary) from his music, and Fricke died in poverty.

so, as i feel quite nostalgic about the 70s record industry (which wasn't a perfect system by all means...), i always wondered - where was the borderline? which krautrock (or any art music acts for that matter) managed to make a living from albums, and which ones did it just for the sake of the creation, while having day jobs?

i was never sure about can...
I don't hve any insight but I'm guessing TD made most of their money from soundtracks. I know Can and Schulze also made soundtracks ... Manuel Göttsching must have made a few bucks on his E2-E4 album which had a massive influence on the electronic music scene by the '90s.
I have most 'Krautrock' albums from that era. A lot of amazing music.
Some bands were pretty successful, though they may not fit into the experimental image of 'Krautrock'. Jane and Eloy sold pretty well I think.
Old 1st October 2017
Quote:
I grew up in Germany and a CAN free concert was the first gig I went to.

Bit young otherwise but we were subletting rooms to students at the time and every single one owned a copy of Monster Movie. I grew up hearing Yoo Doo Right at full blast everyday for a while. :-)

An interesting band on many levels and I'm still listening to them nearly 50 years later...

nice memories. thanks for sharing, this obituary thread is a right place.
i discovered CAN some 20 years ago, and am pretty sure i will listen to it in 20 years, it is not something one gets 'too old' to listen to.
Old 1st October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
I don't hve any insight but I'm guessing TD made most of their money from soundtracks. I know Can and Schulze also made soundtracks

i agree.
edgar froese stated somewhere that "friedkin helped TD on a way" (though movie "sorcerer" was't commercial hit, still a great movie even today).
CAN became known after the song spoon became soundtrack for a tv show.

still, TD was doing fine even before the first soundtrack, they had big tours, nearly sold out events (uk and french cathedrals, resulting in ricochet album).

i guess within krautrock, "spacey /ambiental" bands were selling slightly better than more "noisy /experimental", such as CAN.
Old 1st October 2017
Quote:
i agree.
edgar froese stated somewhere that "friedkin helped TD on a way" (though movie "sorcerer" was't commercial hit, still a great movie even today).
CAN became known after the song spoon became soundtrack for a tv show.

still, TD was doing fine even before the first soundtrack, they had big tours, nearly sold out events (uk and french cathedrals, resulting in ricochet album).

i guess within krautrock, "spacey /ambiental" bands were selling slightly better than more "noisy /experimental", such as CAN.
Krautrock is an odd term anyway these days used to describe a wide variety of underground German rock bands in the early '70s.
TD were unique at the time, but accessible enough to attract a wider public with their trippy soundscapes. Can and Faust and the like were probably just too weird to make a bigger impact. Rock orientated bands were more successful at the time. Amon Düül and Grobschnitt also spring to mind as relatively high profile.
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
but i just don't see young people who would step into boots of czukay, liebezeit & karoli, froese or bowie...
I wonder about this all the time. For the shortcomings of the 70s music business, it did support some amazing work. Perhaps just a lucky time too for breakthrough musical ideas, before the onslaught of breakthrough technology.

I saw Holger perform in the late 90s in Seattle. His gave an amazing EDM style DJ performance, dance beats infused with his (and CAN's) reinterpretation of world rhythms. The music was as on point and avant grade as ever.

His girlfriend was the opening act and performed the entirely of velvet undergrounds first album in her Nico-like voice. We had no idea what to expect next.

CAN remains a beacon of originality and set a high bar for musical adventure. Thanks Holger!!
Old 21st September 2018
Here for the gear

Jaki, Holger, Michael. Irmin, Malcolm and Damo, my heart cries for you
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search