The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP George Michael
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

I came across this article on Andrew Ridgeley and thought I should post is as it's one of the more insightful articles on the internet i have read in a while. It really made be think about Wham!, George Michael and their music and what they really meant in my own life.

Quote:
It’s tempting to think that it doesn’t matter much what kind of music is popular. So long as people like it, don’t worry, it’s just a bit of fun. But music is one of the biggest influences that shapes a culture. It encourages an attitude to life. The songs get inside our heads and the ideas they carry with them stay there – influencing how we value ourselves and our goals.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

It's ironic he died on Christmas considering the Anti-Christmas song he wrote.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak75 View Post
Cant somebody help these, every artist seem to die when they are 50. RIP.
Leonard Cohen died at the age of 82 back in November.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Yes, I ment prince , jackson etc..
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

The BF is yapping to the British tabloids... Says George had a secret heroin addiction.

I hope that's untrue and that he just had a heart attack in his sleep. Either way it's sad, but always even sadder when there's an OD
Old 28th December 2016
Quote:
And Glenn Frey was 67, David Bowie was 69...
Old 29th December 2016
This year has been a tough one all the way around. We've lost a lot of talent, irrespective of age.
Old 29th December 2016
Quote:
It's ironic he died on Christmas considering the Anti-Christmas song he wrote.
how is it anti Christmas?
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
how is it anti Christmas?
The song "Last Christmas" takes place at Christmas, but it DOESN'T have anything to do with Christmas time or the Christmas spirit.

It's not about good wishes, or good will towards all, it's about spite and anger, and screw you! He was spurned by his lover so he turns around and says he's going to give his heart to "someone special", meaning his lover wasn't special after all.

The song should have really been written about "Valentines Day" since that's the time for this type of "love".
Old 29th December 2016
Quote:
The song "Last Christmas" takes place at Christmas, but it DOESN'T have anything to do with Christmas time or the Christmas spirit.

It's not about good wishes, or good will towards all, it's about spite and anger, and screw you! He was spurned by his lover so he turns around and says he's going to give his heart to "someone special", meaning his lover wasn't special after all.

The song should have really been written about "Valentines Day" since that's the time for this type of "love".
"but it DOESN'T have anything to do with Christmas time" YET "it takes place at Christmas"
Bit of a contradiction don't you think? I don't think its anti Christmas at all, its not spite but a heartbreak song that takes place at that time of the year, This current trend to use the word anti incorrectly is starting to be silly, by the way, Saving private Ryan is not a war film, its an "anti war film" becouse it doesn't glory war... bla!!!
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

R.I.P.
Old 29th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
"but it DOESN'T have anything to do with Christmas time" YET "it takes place at Christmas"
Bit of a contradiction don't you think? I don't think its anti Christmas at all, its not spite but a heartbreak song that takes place at that time of the year, This current trend to use the word anti incorrectly is starting to be silly, by the way, Saving private Ryan is not a war film, its an "anti war film" becouse it doesn't glory war... bla!!!
"Jingle Bells" is one of the most famous Christmas songs in history, and there is not one mention of Christmas or even any holiday.
Old 29th December 2016
Quote:

It's basically George Michael's version of this song...

Old 29th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
"Jingle Bells" is one of the most famous Christmas songs in history, and there is not one mention of Christmas or even any holiday.
oh yeah, it must be one of the Anti Christmas songs too...
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraburner View Post
This has hit me hard too. Never thought of myself as much of a fan until I realised how much his songs played a part of my youth.

I listened to praying for time last night as I looked up at the stars and shed a tear. Never has a song seemed so fitting for both his untimely death, and also these dark times that we live in.

RIP George
He was very special to me too and I also didn't consciously realize that much until now... the (my) world feels somehow a little emptier and scarier.

RIP GM
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
It's basically George Michael's version of this song...

Not heard this song before. I can hear the influence now in George Michaels Christmas song. He was a magpie of sorts drawing on his influences and assimilating.Bo Diddley beat on the "Faith" song for example.
He certainly had a knack of laying an original melody down.
I was listening to Freedom 90 today and lyrically it reveals a lot. He planned his early Persona and knew it would have a shelf life. Very smart guy who controlled most if not every part of his output.
---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The BF is yapping to the British tabloids... Says George had a secret heroin addiction.

I hope that's untrue and that he just had a heart attack in his sleep. Either way it's sad, but always even sadder when there's an OD
The initial Post-Mortem (autopsy) today states the result are inconclusive.Further tests are to be carried out…..Like you, i hope there was no OD.
By the way, its suspected as Heart Failure and not Heart Attack. It was reported that he had recently gained weight and a sudden weight gain can be a contributing factor to heart failure.
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac
It’s still hard to believe George is no more :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
New song released.
This Is How (We Want You To Get High)

"This Is How" is the first new music from George Michael in seven years, and features in the forthcoming rom-com Last Christmas - a movie co-written by Emma Thompson and based around the star's songbook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50314620

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search