The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP George Michael Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
This one is hitting me harder than I would have thought ...
Yeah I'm feeling quite crummy about it actually.
Old 26th December 2016
Engagement Manager

Very saddened to hear this news
RIP Yog
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Very sad to hear! Truly talented artist with a gorgeous voice! Left us way too soon. As others have mentioned, 53 is way too young. Last Christmas is one of my favourite songs ever.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Very sad news. Tremendous talent.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm guessing he was suffering from a disease as he was "surrounded by friends and family" at home when he passed...

Wham was but for a certain time and place... Always liked his solo stupid though.

Hopefully he was able to escape his demons
Sad
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Very sad to hear! Truly talented artist with a gorgeous voice! Left us way too soon. As others have mentioned, 53 is way too young. Last Christmas is one of my favourite songs ever.
Yet we shall probably have Justin Bieber and Kanye until they're 97 years old
Old 26th December 2016
Here for the gear

George Michael....

Bye George. You were the best.
Have a good trip...
:(
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Such a talented performer and song writer, seen him singing live 10 years ago and it was amazing. RIP.
https://youtu.be/W1PuJb-blp8

Last edited by isham; 26th December 2016 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Link
Old 26th December 2016
byk
Gear Maniac
Very sad news indeed.

RIP.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Absolutely shocked and saddened. His 80s stuff is mostly cheesy but super fun and a lot of his 90s stuff is just brilliant. Super underrated songwriter. And quite a tragic figure as well.

No age to go. This year has been a c*nt.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Once again, too young to go...
Old 26th December 2016
RIP, yet another great one leaves us.

PS: Fvck you 2016!
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Addict

Soon there will be no pop stars left!
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Addict

Seemed to be someone who could fight the good fight and to have more steel & depth & personal integrity than given credit for.

RIP
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

sad news ...
Old 26th December 2016
Engagement Manager

These threads are for people to pay respects/post thoughts on musical figures that have passed away

If you didn't like them/rate them or don't care about them being gone please just ignore it and don't post
nasty comments or jokes

Thanks
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Such sad news! George was a very kind and genuine soul who gave the world so much great music. Watching him mature as a singer and songwriter to create sounds of such depth, beauty and emotional honesty has been a privilege in my life.
Thank you so much George. R.I.P.
You will be loved and missed here.
Old 26th December 2016
Holy cow, serious talk? I've not heard about this yet. I never was a big fan, but these guys younger than me start dropping, and it tends to be unnerving. Bummer.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Holy cow, serious talk? I've not heard about this yet. I never was a big fan, but these guys younger than me start dropping, and it tends to be unnerving. Bummer.
Might want to avoid the obit section of your hometown paper.
Old 26th December 2016
Having him cover a song of mine as a young writer/producer I got to know him a little. He used to leave me comedy voicemail as "George the singing Greek". Silly Man.
Old 26th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Might want to avoid the obit section of your hometown paper.
Dude. Believe it or not, I work in genealogy a bunch, check 'em online almost every day.
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

:(
Old 26th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Having him cover a song of mine as a young writer/producer I got to know him a little. He used to leave me comedy voicemail as "George the singing Greek". Silly Man.
What song was it? Please share!
Old 26th December 2016
Lives for gear

Very sad news indeed. My introduction to pop music was through Wham. Club Tropicana was one of the first 7" singles I bought with my own money as a kid.

I don't know if it was great 80s music, but it was very popular stuff back then.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Dude. Believe it or not, I work in genealogy a bunch, check 'em online almost every day.
It was top of mind because this morning I was scanning the obits in the Illinois State Journal-Register, which I do to keep from putting my foot in my mouth when I talk to the home folk.

Not sure it works the same everywhere, but at the SJ-R when you want to run an obit, they not only gouge you, they make you write the damn thing yourself. And it seems they don't much care what you write.

Take, for example this except from a bereavement notice just a few days ago:

The family of "XXXX XXXXX", 50, of Springfield, sadly announces his unexpected passing Monday, Dec. 19, 2016, at his residence along with his dog, Nellie."

At least they didn't quote from the police report, which no doubt concluded with, "... at which time Nellie then turned the pistol on herself."
Old 26th December 2016

I suppose that I should add that, there was a time that the obits didn't bother me - everybody that was dying was so much damn older than me. Now whenever I record a tune, I try to get it done because if I don't I never know if I'll be around tomorrow to finish. The thought of leaving an unfinished tune irks me to no end.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 26th December 2016 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: addendum.
Old 26th December 2016
Here for the gear

Another music hero of my childhood ... gone way too early!!
If you want to know what the 80s looked and sounded like, just watch any Wham! video.
RIP Yog
We will miss you and your great talent George!

Ray of Sunshine has always been one of my favorites from the early days, this TOTP appearance is pure 80s gold:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yOB4rqFuoH4
Old 27th December 2016
Such a great artist and talented singer.
I'm very sad :(
Old 27th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
What song was it? Please share!
It was our 2nd single called "Tape Loop" Our label wouldn't let us be associated with him at such an early stage in our career which I kind of understand.

There were copies floating around the net " Morcheeba and George Michael - Tape Loop"

The beat was basically the same but the soul he put into the new vocal was incredible.

He was fussy though, sang each syllable if he wanted to. It was a fun and crazy time.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Maniac

This has hit me hard too. Never thought of myself as much of a fan until I realised how much his songs played a part of my youth.

I listened to praying for time last night as I looked up at the stars and shed a tear. Never has a song seemed so fitting for both his untimely death, and also these dark times that we live in.

RIP George

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search