The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP Dennis Dreadstone (Kidvybes )
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Guru

@dandeurloo be sure to direct Dennis' sister over here so she can see how much he meant to out community, and see the thoughts and prayers for their family, please.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear
Would it be too much for 3UAudio to do
A KV edition Warbler? I have no idea what that would be, but be a nice legacy.
Old 19th March 2016
Here for the gear

Shine On Kidvybes!
My Stellar CM-6 will forever make sweet music because of you and all the amazing information you posted about the mic on the forum!
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Dennis was the champion of quality affordable mics, no one will ever take his place.
Old 19th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Thank you for this post. Let me take a minute to share some of my personal thoughts and experiences with our esteemed colleague Kidvybes. I met him about 6 years ago via GS. We shared a love of all things Reggae and eventually went on to produce many records together. I truly count him as one of my best friends ever. I was able to talk to him about anything ranging from mics to family to even more personal issues. He was wise beyond measure. All this from a man that I never met in person.

Kidvybes (Dennis) loved mics. He was the most enthusiastic mic lover I have ever met. His personal mission in life was to find under the radar mic companies making great products and bring them to the masses. He owned many many high end mics and would shoot them out with the "new kids on the block" then send me clips for comparison. He was the first person I ever heard talk publicly about brands like Stellar, Prodipe, iSK and more recently 3U Audio (Warbler Series) microphones. Kidvybes new his mics inside and out.

On the musical front, anyone who loves mics needs talent to test them on. Kidvybes would network with talented local singers, help them produce their vocals and even help them write lyrics at times (without credit) and then bring in the musicians to build productions around their songs. Kidvybes and I did several records like this a few of which charted over the last couple of years.

Kidvybes was a generous and caring soul who's only concern was helping others. One time I was working on a production and ran it by him. I said "it's missing something don't you think?" and then after a moment we both said "lead guitar!" So Kidvybes pulls out his contacts list and gives me the number of a Grammy award winning lead guitar player...who played on the track for free as a favor to Dennis in return for previous acts of kindness! That's how much Dennis was loved and respected in the music community.

Here are a couple of in progress tracks he didn't get to see to finish due to his untimely passing. The first is a track by a French and German Reggae crew. Vocals were recorded, produced and mixed by Dennis. Second is a collaboration between him and I. Vocal recording and production by Kidvybes. Mixed by another of our close friends (another GS member).

May his memory be blessed. He will be sorely missed. This is a sad day.

RIP Kidvybes (Dennis)
Sorry for your loss man. I've chatted with Dennis a few times about mics and reggae music. He mentioned that we worked with a producer in CO, which must have been you. You guys have done some really nice productions together. Keep the music alive for D.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

A loss for words. R.I.P. dear sonic brother. And thank you for your generosity in shared knowledge. Truly sad.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

So sad to hear of his passing and such a shock. It always a strange thing to experience when you read someones posts and chat with them via the web and get to read their personality and it almost becomes like you know them, then to have them gone one day and too soon at that is sad. I thoroughly enjoyed his posts and his sharing of info and insight. He will be greatly missed !!!!!!
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

R.I.P Dennis. You will be missed.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear
Sad news, RIP Dennis
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

What a genuinely kind and generous guy! He was never looking for a fight, he was always looking for the truth and for faster, better and cheaper ways of doing things. He was unstintingly open with his copious knowledge, and had an integrity and an allegiance to improvement and learning that is all too rare. We only saw his character through this weird little lens called "Gearslutz", but I have to believe that Dennis was no different in the rest of his life. He will be missed by all of us, and I'm sure much more by those who had the pleasure of knowing him "in real life."

RIP, Dennis, and go with God.
Old 19th March 2016
Gear Nut
Rest In Peace Dennis
Old 19th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I can't say i knew him, but somehow he came to represent what is good about GS.
Yep, same feeling here.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzil View Post
Shine On Kidvybes!
My Stellar CM-6 will forever make sweet music because of you and all the amazing information you posted about the mic on the forum!
+1 same here.
he helped me out a few times and was very patient with my questions.
big loss for the community.
Old 19th March 2016
Endlessly generous with his knowledge and advice. A huge loss here. RIP Dennis.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

The one and only. Safe travels, friend.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
What a genuinely kind and generous guy! He was never looking for a fight, he was always looking for the truth and for faster, better and cheaper ways of doing things. He was unstintingly open with his copious knowledge, and had an integrity and an allegiance to improvement and learning that is all too rare. We only saw his character through this weird little lens called "Gearslutz", but I have to believe that Dennis was no different in the rest of his life. He will be missed by all of us, and I'm sure much more by those who had the pleasure of knowing him "in real life."

RIP, Dennis, and go with God.
You put that really nicely. Couldn't agree more or have said it better.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Damn only knew him thru here but he was always willing to chat it up when i had my mic talks and questions. RIP Dennis, rest easy brotha
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Despite having no direct interaction with Kidvybes, in the 5+ years I've been on GS he was always here, always passionate and intelligent, always kind and helpful. If memory serves, his excitement is what got me to buy my first "real" mic preamp. His sudden departure is weighing much more heavily on me than I would have thought. He touched a lot of folks here and I'm thankful to have crossed paths with him.
Old 19th March 2016
So sad to read this - what a generous and kind person he was!
Old 19th March 2016
Gear Maniac

R.I.P. Dennis. Thank you for being so generous with your time and knowledge. You have been a mentor to many of us and will be sorely missed.
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Dennis made a difference in many lives--mostly for his kindness and generosity.
Old 20th March 2016
Here for the gear

So sad to hear this.
I always meant to thank Kidvybes for his generous sharing of knowledge about lesser known yet great sounding microphones, several of which I've bought and happily used based on his recommendations.
So, thank you Dennis.
My deepest condolences to his friends and family.
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Head

Just read the terrible news. I am shocked and saddened. Thank you for all your contributions. Peace.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

I am in tears reading this news. I've been fortunate and blessed to have hung out with Dennis in person, share a few beers and be invited to his apartment in West Palm Beach all through his kindness and generosity that started here on GS. He's been a great mentor and positive influence. I am indebted to him forever.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

I will miss his insight and wisdom ..i too have mics here because of him..
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Would it be too much for 3UAudio to do
A KV edition Warbler? I have no idea what that would be, but be a nice legacy.
This times a million!!! Oh God please! Even if it's just a writing on the mic body itself. It would be such a great gesture.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and kindness KV - truly a special soul.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Gearslutz has definitely lost a great contributor. I'm one of those who didn't know Kidvybes but have read a lot of his posts, and was delighted by his presence. So it feels like a loss of a good relationship, like a good neighbor suddenly and unexpectedly is gone, and this saddens me. Best hopes and wishes.

::
Mads
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

RIP brother

You were always on the front edge of the who's who and what's happening in the microphone world. Your many contributions will live on with the forums and with those you've touched.

Condolences to his friends and family
Old 20th March 2016
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Gearslutz has definitely lost a great contributor. I'm one of those who didn't know Kidvybes but have read a lot of his posts, and was delighted by his presence. So it feels like a loss of a good relationship, like a good neighbor suddenly and unexpectedly is gone, and this saddens me. Best hopes and wishes.

::
Mads
Well put! Same for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search