The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP Dennis Dreadstone (Kidvybes )
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Wow, man oh man. I can't believe what I'm reading. Gearslutz will not be the same without him.
Old 18th March 2016
His passing is a big loss to this community...
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Kidvybes was the source of my learning so much about mics and the reason behind my buying 3U Audio mics. Although I never knew him outside of GS, I feel the loss that his family and friends have to come to terms with.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Very sad news for our community... Kidvybes was so obviously passionate and happy to share his observations, insights and expertise. I enjoyed his posts and appreciated his generosity. He'll be greatly missed. Condolences to his family from the GS family.
Old 18th March 2016
:( So sad....RIP Dennis.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Kidvybes was a genuinely nice, honest gentleman who knew his stuff and tried his best to help producers and recordists on a budget.

My purchasing of the 3U gear was less a toss in the bucket and more a vote of confidence in his experience and personality. That's how these things often go in the internet world.

I hope that his family finds peace and honor in his living.

And to all of my musician friends on this list- take care of yourselves, out there.

Last edited by Malkit; 18th March 2016 at 07:46 PM..
Old 18th March 2016
Here for the gear

I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. Dennis is one of the most passionate people I've met on this forum. His knowledge about mics and audio technology is second to none and he was always kind and willing to share information. I am indebted to him - I can honestly say that without his reviews of my mics, 3U Audio would have gotten off the ground much slower. I've consulted him many times when making mics and every time we talked I was amazed at his wealth of knowledge. I will miss his contributions here very much. The world will be a poorer place without him.

My condolences are with his family and friends.

Guosheng Zhuang
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3uaudio View Post
I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. Dennis is one of the most passionate people I've met on this forum. His knowledge about mics and audio technology is second to none and he was always kind and willing to share information. I am indebted to him - I can honestly say that without his reviews of my mics, 3U Audio would have gotten off the ground much slower. I've consulted him many times when making mics and every time we talked I was amazed at his wealth of knowledge. I will miss his contributions here very much. The world will be a poorer place without him.

Guosheng Zhuang
Good to see you chime in, too, Guosheng.
Thanks.

Yes, Dennis was pretty fond of your capsules and microphones.
The mammoth thread in "Low End" was his last masterpiece here.

And he on his turn must have influenced you in some ways.
So you could say that a part of him is your work now.

Henk
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quite unexpected and sad news.
RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
Old 18th March 2016
Here for the gear

Wow sad news indeed. I've come to truly respect Dennis' insight and experience and I think I learned more from reading his posts here than any school can teach. He will be truly missed.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Sad news...RIP to a generous and enthusiastic soul.
Old 18th March 2016
I also know him only from his valuable posts here, and never thought that'd enough to make me sad. RIP.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear
So sad.
RIP.

D
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Merry View Post
I also know him only from his valuable posts here, and never thought that'd enough to make me sad. RIP.
I know what you mean, I actually feel a true loss, it's amazing how people can impact on your life without you realising it or how you can impact on others' lives and not realise it.

He and I only shared a few messages and I can't say i knew him, but somehow he came to represent what is good about GS.

I'm sure you will be as loved wherever you are as your were her Dennis.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Nut

I'm deeply saddened by this news. With his great knowledge about mics in general and demystifying the manufacturing sources in particular, he helped a lot of people save money. Anyone who's been around here for a while knows how big of a void his absence will create. I'm glad all his knowledge will continue to help hundreds maybe thousands more for years to come through gearslutz...
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Really good man. Always friendly and helped me as well as countless others several times. Carry on my brother.
Old 18th March 2016
man that sucks, i enjoyed his posts and even bought a gear with his mentioning and it turned out to be great.
RIP, hope the family is alright...must be tough.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

I am blown away. This past month I have been turning to him for advice and as an incredible source of knowledge, having only just become acquainted with him, this is very difficult news to absorb...

My sincere condolences to his family and friends
Old 18th March 2016
Wouldn't have known about the Warbler or ISK microphones if it wasn't for him. I'm praying peace for the family he leaves behind and will miss learning from him.
Old 18th March 2016
I registered with GS because of the giant thread he started in Low-End. He helped me (and I'm sure others) in more ways than he could have ever imagined. A fine human. He will be missed... he already is missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

I'm shocked and sad.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3uaudio View Post

Guosheng Zhuang

Thank you for this post. Let me take a minute to share some of my personal thoughts and experiences with our esteemed colleague Kidvybes. I met him about 6 years ago via GS. We shared a love of all things Reggae and eventually went on to produce many records together. I truly count him as one of my best friends ever. I was able to talk to him about anything ranging from mics to family to even more personal issues. He was wise beyond measure. All this from a man that I never met in person.

Kidvybes (Dennis) loved mics. He was the most enthusiastic mic lover I have ever met. His personal mission in life was to find under the radar mic companies making great products and bring them to the masses. He owned many many high end mics and would shoot them out with the "new kids on the block" then send me clips for comparison. He was the first person I ever heard talk publicly about brands like Stellar, Prodipe, iSK and more recently 3U Audio (Warbler Series) microphones. Kidvybes new his mics inside and out.

On the musical front, anyone who loves mics needs talent to test them on. Kidvybes would network with talented local singers, help them produce their vocals and even help them write lyrics at times (without credit) and then bring in the musicians to build productions around their songs. Kidvybes and I did several records like this a few of which charted over the last couple of years.

Kidvybes was a generous and caring soul who's only concern was helping others. One time I was working on a production and ran it by him. I said "it's missing something don't you think?" and then after a moment we both said "lead guitar!" So Kidvybes pulls out his contacts list and gives me the number of a Grammy award winning lead guitar player...who played on the track for free as a favor to Dennis in return for previous acts of kindness! That's how much Dennis was loved and respected in the music community.

Here are a couple of in progress tracks he didn't get to see to finish due to his untimely passing. The first is a track by a French and German Reggae crew. Vocals were recorded, produced and mixed by Dennis. Second is a collaboration between him and I. Vocal recording and production by Kidvybes. Mixed by another of our close friends (another GS member).

May his memory be blessed. He will be sorely missed. This is a sad day.

RIP Kidvybes (Dennis)
Attached Files

Ready For The World.RuffMix04.glued.mp3 (6.44 MB, 1670 views)

Love Is All MP3 v2.mp3 (3.90 MB, 1676 views)

Last edited by Funny Cat; 19th March 2016 at 01:06 AM..
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

...such a shame. Dennis was cool and such a help to us all. Sad.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Head

What??! In the little interaction I had with him, he personally gave me guidance and inspiration which fundamentally changed the way I produce and make music. I am very sorry. RIP brother Dennis.
Old 18th March 2016

RIP Dennis,

I just want to echo everybody else's thoughts here: We are lucky to have had Dennis' insight and knowledege of the mic world. A great legacy we can continue referring to.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Saddened by this news. i always eagerly read his comments on microphones. he seemed a humble and helpful person giving of his time. i'll Miss his contributions to this site. my Condolences to his family.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

I'm very sorry as well to hear this sad news. I always looked to his posts regarding mics and other gear he loved as sort of a "final say", he just seemed so knowledgeable and legit.
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Kidvybes , I salute you my brother.

Old 18th March 2016
SEED78
That's terrible, was great forum member who would have given people good advice forever!
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Shocking and sad news. My condolences to his friends and family.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Addict

RIP kidvybes. I learned an incredible amount about microphone design and construction from reading your threads. Thanks for all you gave to us!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search