The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequential Six Track vs Multitrack
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

This is the best yootoob I think - it should get you excited for your parcel ....

Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
This is the best yootoob I think - it should get you excited for your parcel ....

He seems to be using a lot of external effects in that video, which seems like cheating to me. Synth demonstration videos should mostly feature just the raw sound, especially for a synth with no built in effects of its own.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post

Haha, I fell asleep to that last night. Like a kid trying to get to sleep on Christmas eve.

Last edited by nowaysj; 22nd February 2015 at 05:55 PM..
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

@ robonaught - I take your point but he does switch f.x in and out. Also all synths benefit from F.X. - imagine Tangerine Dream without delay, or J.M.J phaserless ! - but some really come alive because of some synergy between the quality of the sound source and the way reverbs bring those colours out say. Sequential synths are like this.

Even a Prophet 5 can just sound like a bontempi organ with a filter, at plain settings played dry.

Whatever - the sixtrak is just a little single OSc poly - it needs a little help sometimes !
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
He seems to be using a lot of external effects in that video, which seems like cheating to me. Synth demonstration videos should mostly feature just the raw sound, especially for a synth with no built in effects of its own.
totally disagree with you... can't stand raw demos..
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I bought a Multitrak when it first came out. Was highly impressed by the multi-timbral capability, split keyboard, and sequencing, but the sound quality was not there. For it's time, it was ground breaking. Used it in a large concert, but sold it afterwards. For the money you spend on a Mutitrak or a Sixtrak, you could buy an Access Virus "B" or something along that line.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Got a virus B, doesn't really inspire. It is impressive, not inspirational.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

The AX-60 is the real bargain and the one to get out of all of the CEM3394 based synths. I has a real knob/slider interface, 5-octave keyboard, and sampler/external input...
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I'll put them head to head.

Two synths enter, one synth leaves.
Old 23rd February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
I'll put them head to head.

Two synths enter, one synth leaves.
Good plan. Try out the six-track unison modes.

BTW I use this - /layout-sequential-circuits-six-trak

if you have an ipad it makes for a handy programmer for the six-trak...
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Nice, I was going to use the BCR2000, but this is another option. I've just got to get my midi/io together for the ipad.
Old 28th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
The AX-60 is the real bargain and the one to get out of all of the CEM3394 based synths. I has a real knob/slider interface, 5-octave keyboard, and sampler/external input...
Speaking of best 3394-chip synths, I'd put my vote on AX-73.
Velocity, which controls some nice features, and dual-mode (detunable 2-VCO mode, which cuts poly to 3 voice of course) makes all the difference to me.

In that respect, AX-73 and MultiTrack are somewhat similar. I wish I could put my hands on it, cause when I had Six-track it wasn't inspiring as AX73... And it's cheaper too.
Old 28th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
Speaking of best 3394-chip synths, I'd put my vote on AX-73.
Velocity, which controls some nice features, and dual-mode (detunable 2-VCO mode, which cuts poly to 3 voice of course) makes all the difference to me.
I'll take the knobs and sliders interface, arpeggiator, and bi-timbal keyboard splits of 2 patches of the AX60 over those.
Old 28th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
I'll take the knobs and sliders interface, arpeggiator, and bi-timbal keyboard splits of 2 patches of the AX60 over those.

Damn, I forgot AX60 can do a split!
Yes, for most people knobs go over all other stuff, but for myself only thing that can compensate lack of knobs is velo + 2vco combo.
Now, a synth with velo and knobs... that is nice.

And if a poly aftertouch is added... ahhh wet dreaming..
Old 28th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn, I forgot AX60 can do a split!
Yes, for most people knobs go over all other stuff, but for myself only thing that can compensate lack of knobs is velo + 2vco combo.
Now, a synth with velo and knobs... that is nice.

And if a poly aftertouch is added... ahhh wet dreaming..
Even better, the AX-60 can use the sampler input for the split, or as a layer. Think of it like a very flexible second oscillator.
Old 28th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Even better, the AX-60 can use the sampler input for the split, or as a layer. Think of it like a very flexible second oscillator.
Well that one is the same with AX-73 (not the split, but sampler input as second /layered osc - yes).

Interesting how Akai had very few synth models, compared to Rolands of the day, but did implement some cool features into them.
Old 28th May 2015
Speaking of dual vco function, can Multitrak detune oscillators when set to dual /double?
Old 28th May 2015
Quote:
Well that one is the same with AX-73 (not the split,

now when I think... there is some "midi split" somwhere in AX73 menu IIRC, guess that works the same as in AX60, for incoming sampler signal...
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

The AX-60 is ripe for someone to upgrade the MIDI spec to send and recieve CC's from the sliders and sysex. Better slider response is another upgrade I'd be down for -- I'd like a 'pickup' mode for the sliders rather than having them jump to the current value.
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

FYI the synth board ion side of the Sixtrak/multitrak/Max/and Split 8 are basically identical.

SCI changed the software for different features.

Bob Grieb has conquered Max and Multitrak OS' to add modern Midi support.

https://xbs111.wordpress.com/2013/09...mware-upgrade/
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear
funny how the few but crappier quality YT vids of the multitrak affects public opinion. I'd take a multi over a sixtrak any day of the week. LOL at the 'gothic writing' on the sixtrak comment - I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true (people flock to it for that reason)
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy1 View Post
. . . Kept the multi-trak for the extra options . . . Search around as there are some great sysex sounds to be had. I found some Dave Smith sounds that have way exceeded the stock sounds that came with it.
Could you share where you found these Dave Smith MultiTrak sounds?
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search