The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Invented new sound synthesis techniques
Old 1st February 2015
Here for the gear

Invented new sound synthesis techniques

The results from my past 5 years' worth of explorations in sound synthesis, compressed into 8 minutes heh

Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Super cool. Website?
Old 2nd February 2015
Here for the gear

Old 2nd February 2015
Gear Head

You mentioned sharing source code in the video but I couldn't find it on your web site. Would you mind telling us where to find it?
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

some nice sounding techniques there electrojunky
not sure if you ever heard but, Renoise has a hidden formula system in it.
generally you load someones custom DSP fx and you have access to the formula tool.
not actually sure if it will work for these but it may do.
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

Friggin cool! Your like a scientist, dude.
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

There are many 'instrument creation environments' out there - MAX/MSP, Puredata, Supercollider, Reaktor, even DAWs like Renoise and Logic. But if one uses a general purpose programming language like C++ or what I elected to use - Purebasic - for synthesis, it is like building a structure with tiny bricks rather than pre-fabricated modules - it takes a lot longer but the flexibility and control over the end result is unparalleled. One is not bound by the look and feel of GUIs and components or even by DSP restrictions - want to perform sub-sample bitwise processing or binary-level manipulation? Sure! And there is just SO much to explore.

For example, simply picking up a bezier curve and looking at it for a bit leads to: What happens if I modulate the control points with low-through-to-audio frequency oscillators, or modulate them stochastically (with probability functions), or, use the bezier curve to warp the phase of a sine oscillator instead of using a vector? (that's what I'm trying next). It's exciting anticipating the results when trying out these things - sometimes the outcome is underwhelming but the more one attempts, the more likely it is that an interesting outcome is not too far away.

The other thing is that for some strange reason there are not many 'show and tell examples' out there of the source of an actual, usable synth coded from scratch
It's true that of all those interested in sound shaping, the percentage of people operating in this space is tiny, but still...Oh, let alone examples of synth code which illustrate techniques outside the usual subtractive 'here is an oscillator through a filter with envelope' paradigm. I have sought to correct that
Old 10th February 2015

Open source = garbage.

You shouldn´t release it as open source. That is a waste of effort, and open source ideologists just wait to abuse you, and demand more, and you will get nothing. Resulting in a regression to facist scenarious by anti-establishment hippies, and indeed the level of totem-worship. Look at Microsoft. One of the biggest companies in the world, where people with that intelligence, gets jobs. Doing business as usual = the only way. If you cannot, you really just need to wait or build that option.

Open source as a whole, has no serious basis. Instead ofcourse Stallman, is what the myth of the "hacker living underneath MIT" is based on. Which really parallels acid-legends, and their "fall to earth". A philosophy inspired by his exclusion from Paradise, nobody wants.

Don´t let Stallman stall natural developments, ignore open source. (Official pro-establishment & cilvilization slogan pr 2015.)
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Head

Impressive and very imformative. Musically speaking, phase distortion, additive and bit twiddling give most satisfying results (to my ear at least). Good to see that most innovative thinking comes from the bottom and not from the companies that "do business as usual".
Old 11th February 2015
Gear Maniac

I already can see it in Omnisphere 2.0.1 :D

Some very interesting sounds though.
Old 12th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenleaf River View Post
blah blah blah...

too bad they removed the "thumb down" voting.
Microsoft. Great. The corporation which started by stealing and copyrighting public dolmain technologies. Great example for the youth.

And dont use the world "natural", you dont know what it means.
Flame me as much as you want, I wont bother reading your propaganda.

to the OP. Very interesting.

Last edited by EvilDead; 12th February 2015 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: summarized the quote
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
You shouldn´t release it as open source. That is a waste of effort, and open source ideologists just wait to abuse you, and demand more, and you will get nothing. Resulting in a regression to facist scenarious by anti-establishment hippies, and indeed the level of totem-worship. Look at Microsoft. One of the biggest companies in the world, where people with that intelligence, gets jobs. Doing business as usual = the only way. If you cannot, you really just need to wait or build that option.

Open source as a whole, has no serious basis. Instead ofcourse Stallman, is what the myth of the "hacker living underneath MIT" is based on. Which really parallels acid-legends, and their "fall to earth". A philosophy inspired by his exclusion from Paradise, nobody wants.

Don´t let Stallman stall natural developments, ignore open source. (Official pro-establishment & cilvilization slogan pr 2015.)
So.. the internet doesn't run on mostly open source software then? That seems pretty serious to me.
Old 2nd March 2015

"Hippies" get really sad, when faced with such facts, and reacting like this. Forget about spirituality. It is about as interesting as a totem in your livingroom. - "Maan you don´t want this?"
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

wow! I just changed my whole world view.
Old 24th March 2015
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Wow, super impressive!
Old 16th April 2015
Here for the gear

And now, a couple of extra-terrestrials 'jamming it out' with some of these 'alien' methods of sound synthesis
https://youtu.be/NmD7NdnD3WA
Old 2nd March 2016
Here for the gear

Finished the proof of concept of "Synth Of Sorts", which features a sound generation engine based on a process not traditionally associated with music - sorting algorithms. Have uploaded a video of it in action as the second instalment in my 'Innovations In Sound Synthesis' series.
The app creates a wavetable from the actual process of the sort while it's working, which can then be played as a regular sweep-able wavetable from a midi keyboard )with the graphical sort progress display synced together with the audio playback)...so this is what sorting REALLY sounds like
Old 2nd March 2016
Electrojunky, I really admire what you are doing in your earlier posts and in this recent post.

You know, the other application of your playable sorts is for synth LFO's. I think that's where another layer of sonic complexity and beauty could be found.
Really nice work. And it's encouraging too. We need people to keep creating more ways of creating sounds. It keeps music interesting.
I am one of those people who is more interested in surprising sounds than in sonic nostalgia. Good work.
Old 13th March 2016
Here for the gear
I am really enjoying your videos, thanks for your efforts. I subscribed!!
Old 14th March 2016
Lives for gear

Really cool stuff. Still going through it all. Much thanks for releasing this stuff without restriction and disregard the nay-saying. Not everything needs to be monopolized and locked away with a price tag on it.

Cheers for your hard work and your willingness to share
Old 24th March 2016
Gear Nut

Dude! Impressive as hell! And Clearly some of us don't get the idea behind open source.
Old 29th March 2016
cool sounds!
a circle is an example of a sine wave. like a square is an example of linear functions. circles are made with sine waves...one vertical sine wave mixed with a horizontal sine wave creates circular motion

everything is sine waves....square waves are just lots of sine waves mixed in the appropriate way

linear functions have a constant rate of accelration.......sine functions (sine waves) do not, they do have limits though like linear functions (triangle waves).....-1 and 1......
Old 23rd June 2016
Here for the gear

I quite enjoy creating edu-demo videos but normally don't get enough time for this activity. However, since my coding laptop died recently I thought I'd take the opportunity to make one more - it's likely the last one I'll do from my 'back catalog' before continuing synthesis exploration/development on one of my other machines - it's for 'NeuronoiZ':
synth based on voltage waveforms of brain cells

Also, some time ago I put together this no-frills video for 'Chaosorus' to demonstrate the astonishing sound and melody complexity that is generated by two extremely simple formulae:
Sonata in chaos minor
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

I realize this is an older post, and this thread has since received newer replies, but I just have to comment on this, because this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. At least in the last five years.

For readers unaware, the term open source software refers to software that is licensed under an open source license, such as the GNU GPL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Ge...Public_License

When software is released this way, the actual programming code that comprises the software is available to be viewed. Not only can you view the source code, you can share it with others freely, you can modify it, and you can also distribute your modified version, totally free, but not just free as in money, but as in freedom of speech as well. If you are unaware, in the United States, programming code is afforded first amendment protection, being regarded as free speech.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...d-code-speech/

Closed source software on the other hand, you cannot view the source code, you cannot share the source code, you cannot modify the source code, and you cannot share your modified version. It is also typically not free, as in money. Doesn't sound much like free speech to me, either.

This has very grave implications. What this means is that if you use closed source software, you cannot look at the code to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, and it's not doing something malicious. I think Microsoft is a perfect example. It has been discovered that Microsoft has included a backdoor for the US National Security Agency in their Windows Operating Systems since 1999. It was discovered because of a mistake on the part of Microsoft's programmers.
NSA Built Back Door In All Windows Software by 1999

Open source software on the other hand can be publicly vetted. The entire code base can be openly audited, and not only can it be determined if the software is doing what it's supposed to do, and isn't doing anything malicious, but software vulnerabilities can also be discovered, allowing programmers to patch in updates to fix the vulnerabilities.

If you use closed source software, you have to put all of your trust into the hands of a company, or large corporation, who probably only cares about making as much money off of you as possible. Or maybe even making kickback money from government agencies like the NSA. You also have to rely on the company that makes the software to provide updates it to fix vulnerabilities which leave you at risk to malicious hackers, and often times it does not make financial sense for them to devote the man hours to fixing the vulnerabilities.

There is a massive difference in culture between closed source, and open source software as well. The culture of closed source software is commerce. Capitalism. It's pushing out a product that the user cannot vet, under the motivations of making a profit off of the user.

The culture of open source software is one of community involvement, contribution, and sharing.

Furthermore, readers should understand the power that programs have. If I can run code on your machine at an elevated privilege level, I can do absolutely anything, and the same is true for the programmers that make the proprietary, closed source software that you use. Take another look at Microsoft. Their heavy handed roll out of Windows 10 to users has been borderline evil, to be honest. People totally content with Windows 7 or Windows 8 have experienced leaving their computer for the night, coming back to it and Windows 10 being installed on it. Not only that, but even after uninstalling the Windows updates that push the update to Windows 10, Microsoft ignores the users wishes and pushes those patches back out, hoping to basically infect the user with Windows 10. It's essentially malware. Consider also the telemetry features of Windows 10 that does things like log every file you open, log every key stroke you type.
How to turn off Windows 10's keylogger (yes, it still has one) | PCWorld

This is your great champion of closed source Operating Systems. Microsoft Windows 10, and it's ****ing malware.

You simply do not find things like this with open source Operating Systems, such as Linux, because the users of the software actually have the power to change the software into something they want it to be, and software that is deemed bad or unsafe by the community is shunned to the digital graveyard of obsolescence.

To make a simple analogy, close source software is like a closed government run for the financial benefit of corporations, comprised of laws that are hidden from the citizenry. Open source software is like an open government where citizens have full knowledge of the laws, and modify the laws themselves for the betterment of everyone.

I apologize for the length of my post, but as a full time Cyber Security and Networking student, and holder of three certifications put out by the United States Committee on National Security Systems, the CNSSI 4012, 4013, and 4016, I just wanted everyone who read this incredibly stupid comment to be better informed about open source and closed source software.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Jane View Post
I realize this is an older post, and this thread has since received newer replies, but I just have to comment on this, because this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. At least in the last five years.
There is a massive difference in culture between closed source, and open source software as well. The culture of closed source software is commerce. Capitalism. It's pushing out a product that the user cannot vet, under the motivations of making a profit off of the user.
The culture of open source software is one of community involvement, contribution, and sharing.

I'm sorry, but that's every bit as ridiculously simplistic and childish view of reality as the quote you're commenting on ( if not more, because he doesn't seem very knowledgeable on what open-source or software is , but you are, therefore you have much less excuses than him to write such absurd stuff ) . It's just like the exact equivalent of what he said, but inverted.

Every product or service in life makes "a profit of the user". That's how most humans on this planet make a living, whether it's selling home-made bread or software. Asking for monetary compensation in exchange for your work doesn't mean "your only motivation is making profit". Right now you're a student living in a bubble, but later I guess you will be charging for your services , therefore you will be making a "profit of the client" that uses your services. Unless you're born rich and don't have to work to sustain your family, of course.

Real life isn't binary ON/OFF like computers. It doesn't have to be "you're either with us or you're with the terrorists". There are billions of positions between black and white.
Closed source can live side by side with open source, you can also choose to open source parts and not others. Or you can start with closed source and open it later, etc.. There are different needs for different cases at different moments of time.
They are not fundamental enemies like you're very simplisticly trying to portrait, as if open source developpers were all Mother Theresa saints and anyone daring to ask for money for a product they made or a service they provide ( whether it's bread, a consulting service or a car) is a stereotype of a big fat evil capitalist with a cigar in their mouth looking to enslave children.

Stereotypes and simplistic clichés come from both sides.

Quote:
If you use closed source software, you have to put all of your trust into the hands of a company, or large corporation, who probably only cares about making as much money off of you as possible.

Yes, even that little game you're enjoying on your smartphone and that is written by a teenager in his bedroom, well it's actually really made by this guy.

Machines are becoming more and and more subtle and complex, while humans are becoming more and more binary.

Last edited by spaceman; 4th July 2016 at 03:14 PM..
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Every product or service in life makes "a profit of the user". That's how most humans on this planet make a living, whether it's selling home-made bread or software. Asking for monetary compensation in exchange for your work doesn't mean "your only motivation is making profit". Right now you're a student living in a bubble, but later I guess you will be charging for your services , therefore you will be making a "profit of the client" that uses your services. Unless you're born rich and don't have to work to sustain your family, of course.

First of all, it's clear when you say "every product or service in life makes a profit off the user", you're referring to commercial products, or services. You're not talking about things like charity or community outreach. You're entirely dismissing things like charity and community outreach, and I'm curious why? Aren't these good things?

You're right, if you produce and sell proprietary, commercial software for profit, you can obviously have motivations other than making a profit. But your primary motivation is in fact to make a profit. Otherwise, it would not be proprietary, commercial software.

We should not make assumptions about each other, as we do not know each other. But secondly, you appear to be the one living in a bubble. I'm just calling like I sees it, and clearly, you're living in a bubble, lil spaceman.

My main focus in IT is more along the sysadmin, and penetration testing lines, rather than software development. So the services I will be producing, are not going to be programs that I have written, in large. Yes I do plan on further engaging in capitalism once I start my professional career in IT, but that is an act of pragmatism. You see, I'm an Anarchist, but a very pragmatic one.

But making money is not my main motivation for what I've chosen to study, and engage in. My main motivation comes from my ethos, not the desire for pesos. I'm not sure if you understand the concepts of volunteering and community, or the concept of trying to change the world.

Having said all of that, you're getting hung up on something that is not the point. You're missing the point.

In short, security is the point. Accountability, the ability to be audited. The ability to verify that the code running on your machine is not malicious.

Computers have become so incredibly important in our society, and security was not a main focus during the development of the internet, which is what connects us all together, so the network infrastructure we use to communicate is inherently insecure.

Think about this. Think about a computer that might be used to keep track of aeronautic flight times and flight paths. To do any sort of task on a computer, a program has to be written to do that, so let's say we have a commercial flight time and flight path program produced by a Swiss company. It's closed source, proprietary software.

Do you see anything at all wrong with this? I sure do. You cannot audit the code. It's closed source, proprietary software, so the source code cannot be openly audited to determine if it's doing what it's supposed to do, it's secure, and it's not blatantly malicious.

Can you imagine anything bad that might happen if the Swiss company happened to be a front for a government that is hostile to the country you live in?

Do you get the importance of being able to audit the code that runs on your computer? What if your computer is part of a nuclear reactor? What if it controls the power grid? What if you just do online banking and buy **** on amazon?

Think about cryptography. Think about the software implementations of cryptographic protocols, such as SSL/TLS. Imagine OpenSSL is instead Closed(ForProfit)SSL. SSL/TLS is critical for the success of e-commerce. Do you think it's a good thing to be able to audit software implementations of SSL/TLS?
Old 4th July 2016
m03
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Jane View Post
The post you're talking about seemed like obvious sarcasm to me.
Old 4th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post
The post you're talking about seemed like obvious sarcasm to me.
This.

Plus: nowadays MS is one of the biggest embracers and contributer to open source. Bash for Win10, anyone? .NET core coming this summer. Linux on Azure. Etc etc.

Lots of misinformation going on in this thread.

And btw, me_jane: open standards/source can, and have been, open for attacks as well.
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
And btw, me_jane: open standards/source can, and have been, open for attacks as well.

Absolutely. No software is immune to programming errors. But open source software can be openly vetted to determine if it is indeed secure or not. Closed source software cannot. This is the most important point.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search