The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Abstrakt Instruments Avalon Analog Bassline
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Addict

Abstrakt Instruments Avalon Analog Bassline

Over in the Social Entropy Engine thread, Ripe posted a photo of his booth setup, which he appears to be sharing with Abstrakt Instruments. Having not heard of them before, I did some Googling and found a SonicState NAMM2015 picture thread with this close-up of the silver box sharing the stage with the Engine:

Lots to take in there!

Abstrakt Instruments looks to be run by the guy responsible for the x0xio, an enhanced x0xb0x.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Here's a couple of better photos of the Avalon (right click and view for bigger pic)

Old 25th January 2015
Gear Addict

If the price is right I will buy one of these asap.. Was going to Devilfish my second 303 but this looks better with the sub oscillator. I'll take the black one please..
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Wow i totally missed this, would love to hear how it sounds and what is up with the little program cards or whatever they are hmmm
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Maniac

This looks fantastic, and expensive.

The only thing I'm confused about is the Tempo/Value knob.

At first I thought the knob would be used to sweep through the 16 positions of the sequencer - but it doesn't look like an endless encoder and I don't know how the user could edit the pattern without altering the tempo.

But looking at the picture the sequencer LEDs appear very pronounced compared to the other LEDs on the facia. Is it possible the sequencer LEDs are actually little buttons?

Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

No tap write?

Looks really nice, however.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
No tap write?
It's there Yoozer, called Live Entry
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

I ask because it's the first thing die hard 303 fans are going to ask about heh
Old 25th January 2015
Looks like a quality box. I'm surprised there are no videos or audio demos. I would think if you were interested in actually marketing your product, you'd at least have a Facebook/Soundcloud page ready to go after showing it off at NAMM.

It's not 1993 anymore, kids!
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Looks like a quality box. I'm surprised there are no videos or audio demos. I would think if you were interested in actually marketing your product, you'd at least have a Facebook/Soundcloud page ready to go after showing it off at NAMM.
And I'd be happy to help in this regard, if you're out there, Abstrakt Instruments! Get in touch.

I suspect that what you're looking at is largely a one man operation, and he's too busy doing quality hardware work to be bothered promoting himself. Yes, online promotion is totally necessary to get anywhere, but perhaps this is very early in the game, and flying under the radar might be the right thing to do at the moment. I suspect the x0xi0 price list might hint at what to expect with the Avalon.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

From what i have been told, the sound of the Avalon Bassline is spot on, and it probably blasts that poor imitation that is the TT-303 straight out of the water. It's a quality product from Brian Castro.
Old 25th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
From what i have been told, the sound of the Avalon Bassline is spot on, and it probably blasts that poor imitation that is the TT-303 straight out of the water. It's a quality product from Brian Castro.
I'm eager to hear it! I wonder what those little cartridges are. Reminds me of my old Gameboy. Maybe they're swappable effects or filters.
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Maniac

ok guys, we just got done at NAMM. If we don't sleep for 3 days straight the official press release will go out Monday for those of you who weren't able to attend NAMM and get a demo in person. There will be more content coming as everyone starts to upload more pics and edit videos. For those who can't wait for the NAMM content and debut of the website here are some bullet points of the basics.
  • The avalon bassline synth is an analog monosynth based on the TB-303. It combines a 100% mirror of TB-303 RevD mainboard together with a panel board containing additional analog and digital circuitry.
  • Uses all original spec parts of the original TB-303 (transistors, caps, IC's, diodes, transformer, etc..) together with a BA6110 VCA with current gain calibrated to match the original BA662.
  • Fully backwards compatible with the original TB-303 (actually works with an original TB-303 CPU).
  • Sub oscillator has saw, sqr, and tri both -1 and -2 oct.
  • The cartridge slot is for filter carts which can be hot-swapped and used in place of the internal TB-303 filter.
  • Additional analog controls include sub/ext level control, filter tracking, accent decay, vca decay (goes full off), AD utility envelope with bi-polar modulation of the VCA and VCF.
  • I/O on back includes CV & Gate In/Out, accent sweep cv out (amplified and normalized to 0-5V), filter cv input. Audio out consists of saw and sqr out (+/-5V), external input, and vca & filter outputs.
  • Sequencer control has TB-303 pitch/time modes as well as a new realtime mode making use of the the step led switches (yes those are switches). Too many features to list - browse the panel to get an idea. patterns can be 64 steps in length with numerous time signature options. There are 448 internal patterns and 56 tracks. These can also be saved and loaded via sysex.
  • Sync modes are internal, MIDI and DIN, and it outputs both MIDI and DIN Sync. Also has USB-MIDI, and synth can be played externally.
  • Extremely high build quality including custom pots, german key switches, and 4-piece steel enclosure.

Can't comment yet on price except to say it'll be under $1000US.

Last edited by abstrakt; 26th January 2015 at 06:31 AM..
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Guru

now that's a nice bit of kit...
Old 26th January 2015
Wow. Interested.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Whoa! Hot swappable filters. Lots of steps and memory.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

I hadn't heard about this box until today - while I was loitering in the MakeNoise booth on the sleepy final day of NAMM, Alessandro Cortini suggested that I check out Abstrakt's booth and I'm glad I did. While I didn't get to touch the unit, I stood and listened to it for a while as Abstrakt demonstrated the sound and features…. and it sounds DAMN good. Build quality appeared to be excellent - no, beyond excellent…. supremely robust. The switches used are my favorite type, similar (identical?) to those found on Nord synths, and although I didn't get to pick it up and use it to smash a car window, it certainly appeared that it could be used for this without damage to the unit. With the greatly expanded feature set and swappable filter cartridges, I think we have a new leader of the 303 pack. Nicely done Abstrakt!
Old 26th January 2015
Here for the gear

If this thing is anywhere near the same quality as my x0xi0, prepare to be amazed. Brian Castro knows what he's doing!!
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
How is it gonna 'blast' the TT-303 straight out of the water if the TT is a near perfect copy of the original TB-303 already?
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Nice, looks like the Cadillac of 303 clones.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, what a beast!
Old 26th January 2015
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Dunno, to my ears theres something not quite right about the TT-303, though obviously close, the XOXBOX sounds closer to me. Very interested to hear this, like the idea of swappable filters.
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Addict

Looks like with this and the new Grendel Grenadier, you could have a hell of an acid set-up.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Look awesome. I want to hear it.
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Now on my watch list. Currently have the Acidlab Bassline as my go-to purchase in the future, but I'll wait to see how this turns out.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Looking fwd to hearing this. Brian def knows what he is doing!
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
How is it gonna 'blast' the TT-303 straight out of the water if the TT is a near perfect copy of the original TB-303 already?
I'm glad someone else said that as I thinking the exact thing myself but didn't want to start bickering...the TT is about as close as you'll get to the original from my understanding and listening...a double blind test and I doubt anyone could split the two..

Old 27th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
Ever played with a Futureretro 777?
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Since this has USB, I'm curious to know if there will be a vst editor of some sort that comes with this or can be downloaded later.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search