The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finger Trigger Pro vs Maschine vs Spark LE
Old 18th January 2015
Gear interested

Finger Trigger Pro vs Maschine vs Spark LE

Hi guys, I ve been making music as a pure hobby, for relaxation purposes for so long, I ve lost count. I m not that great in this, but it gives me immense pleasure
I ve decided to buy 61 key midi, and it is coming soon (using pc keyboard and piano roll is just too bad, and obviously limits my creativity).
But after ordering one, I ve realized I d be glad to have drum sequencer and pad trigger/ drum machine.
Spent 2 days reading, and listed:
Arturia Sparkle, second hand would be cheapest with great functionality.
Maschine MK1, used too- would possibly be greatest addition.
And here comes finger trigger pro, with very interesting features.
I cannot find anywhere comparison of those 3 on the web, specifically FTP and Maschine.
Would you advise please on which system would suffice for production. I m on Ableton.
Thx

View most liked answer
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Trigger finger pro is currently being blown out at $199 so if price is a factor that is worth consideration.
Old 18th January 2015
Gear interested

Well, price is important, but I m more concerned about trade offs and overall balance of productivity.
I like m audio, but maschine looks more supported and somehow has better image.
What about FTP latency issue ? Is this true ?
Old 18th January 2015
SparkLEs software is still not perfect since v2, buggy on some rigs and basic things like the software sequencer not following the hardware still not fixed after more than 6 months.

Maschine mk1, software is solid, a little bloated if you just want it for beats...but these controllers have been around for a while now. I treat mine with kid gloves but if previous owner hasnt you could be facing duff encoders, unresponsive pads, sooner rather than later.

Dont own the trigger finger, might be worth a punt though...I like the features and it comes with a fairly substantial bundle.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Definitely Maschine MK1.
Old 18th January 2015
Gear interested

Thx
I ve heard so many people ditching drum sequencers due to steep learning curve. My research confirms availability of s/h devices with almost as new state.
Thank you for tip anyway, I ll think about NI vs M-audio now.
In uk I can get used maschine mk1 for the same price as new FTP..

Actually, not only for beats, but launcher would be good. In fact time will tell how will I get on with new hardware.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear interested

As an owner of the TFP I can confirm it is a disappointing piece of hardware .... After spending £300 on it and investing 6+ months of time trying to get it to work as described In the videos I just feel like I've been lied to.
It has great potential but makes the most simplest if tasks complicated in setup between hardware & DAW.
I am seriously considering trying to get a return on it and go for an MPC or Maschine.
It could have been a lovely match made in heaven, alas, it is not. :(
The support on m-audio forums is good(ish). There is a guy called Dan who is so helpful and one or two members who really have tried to assist other people with there problems.

But all the bugs, problems, sync issues and flaws that are reported appear to have no light at the end of the tunnel...
There is a rumour of a firmware update on the way but this is ONLY a rumour and has not been confirmed by ANY official M-audio representative.
With no guarantee the issues will be fixable I have lost complete faith & confidence in a product I thought was the answer to so many problems.
In the end, It became the problem.
I can give specific points if you want but I hope u trust my opinion on this.
I will give feedback on any new alternatives when I purchase it

Last edited by RADIOFACE; 19th February 2015 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Sorry for duplicates - my browser tripped out
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
Trigger finger pro is currently being blown out at $199 so if price is a factor that is worth consideration.
It just came out last summer so it's just a sale, not a blow out or clearance item. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price change become permanent because at its $400 intro price it was way overpriced.

At $200 it competes directly with the Spark LE (which is currently bundling in additional 4 sound expansion packs to the hardware for its unchanged $200 price), but the TFP offers standalone performance without needing a connected computer, which will be a useful advantage for some people.

In a related thread KCEARL has said he's had the Spark LE (he also owned or owns the original Spark) but found the software and sequencer to have been buggy ever since v2.0 came out a year ago, so consider yourself warned.

That said, I'm not saying TFP is any better. (If I had to choose something today to last for a while, it would probably be Ableton + Push + a much lighter wallet.)
Old 19th February 2015
Gear interested

Infact I'm so annoyed, here are some reasons:

1. The internal clock is ****.
Set it to 125bpm and record into your daw. Set the Daw to 125bpm. you can see the midi is all over the place in terms of the grid... It's "rushing" on the beats.

2. Everything has to be quantised to the same steps.
I.e if you have divisions of 1\16th on the sequencer... Your hi-hats can't be recorded in 1/32ths (or 1/16th triplets) without changing the whole sequnce. Effectively doubling the tempo. No work around.

3. Half of the sample packs don't load into the software. Drum loops (although not something essential to me) and bass loops.

4. Drag n drop (as advertised) does not work for loading own samples. (Although some people have said it does - for me, it doesn't)

5. The fact the price dropped my nearly HALF within months of me buying it. On a new product? Less than 6months old?
Seems suspect.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear interested

With regards to stand alone performance.... That's complete lies aswell.
It has NO outputs. Apart from midi out.
So using it as a drum machine in a live setup would require a computer to run the sound engine which is built into the software... And then probably a soundcard running from PC / laptop into a mixing board.

Utterly disappointing.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear
There is a fair amount a feature overlap between those products but Maschine wins by a mile.

1. better included sounds and expansions
2. better software integration
3. bigger community of users, more support, tutorials, resources, templates for different usages.
4. more choice of hardware and popular enough that you can easily find used ones cheap.

I didn't get it at first and resisted, but after getting into Maschine I had to admit NI got it right and other companies are still trying to play catch up.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Head
I have actually been thinking about getting the TFP but Radioface's review casts a definite shadow.... I may have to sit on this a while longer.
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

the usa price of 200 is pretty good if you think of it as more advanced Korg Pad Control, its much better build quality tho the korg has midi din in & out
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOFACE View Post
1. The internal clock is ****.
Set it to 125bpm and record into your daw. Set the Daw to 125bpm. you can see the midi is all over the place in terms of the grid... It's "rushing" on the beats.
So you're not syncing it?
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

I have both the TFP (which I bought as a hardware sequencer only) and Maschine. I can confirm that Maschine is a far, far better option if you are looking for a controller with good sampling/sequencing software. Also, if you plan on using additional NI Software the integration is flawless. Maschine plus Komplete is a hardcore combo that will take you years to exhaust.

I like the TFP as a hardware sequencer, even at the 400 dollar price point its options are pretty fantastic for that (would love to see a full song mode). You can easily rock a whole live set with the TFP as the brain.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear interested

No, as it will not sync with Cubase. I have tried and tried and tried but It won't work. Never the type to give up, The work around I thought of was just to straight record into Cubase as midi.

I then aligned the first "Kick"
(Which is on the 1 beat) with the grid.
I thought this was fine until I noticed at around 2 mins in the midi notes start drifting forwards.....
I am sorry if my last few posts seemed overly negative but I had just been using it. Stress city.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOFACE View Post
No, as it will not sync with Cubase. I have tried and tried and tried but It won't work. Never the type to give up, The work around I thought of was just to straight record into Cubase as midi.

I then aligned the first "Kick"
(Which is on the 1 beat) with the grid.
I thought this was fine until I noticed at around 2 mins in the midi notes start drifting forwards.....
I am sorry if my last few posts seemed overly negative but I had just been using it. Stress city.
Did you set clock to external:
Clock - M-audio Trigger Finger Pro User Manual [Page 87]
And Cubase to send Midi Clock:
http://www.five12.com/doc/images/CubaseSyncSetup.png
(lower right)
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

I tried Tigger Finger once and the pads were not responsive enough.

Of the various brands of drum controllers I've tried, Korg PadKontrol has the very best pad sensitivity for finger tapping resulting in meaningful velocity values. Build quality is just fine.

Don't be fooled by all the bells and whistles thay tack on, sliders knobs whatever, when the pads often aren't up to task in the first place. Even Akai pads were not anything special. Maschine was a bit better.

Last edited by andrewsc; 22nd February 2015 at 11:20 PM..
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paega View Post
I have both the TFP (which I bought as a hardware sequencer only) and Maschine. I can confirm that Maschine is a far, far better option if you are looking for a controller with good sampling/sequencing software. Also, if you plan on using additional NI Software the integration is flawless. Maschine plus Komplete is a hardcore combo that will take you years to exhaust.

I like the TFP as a hardware sequencer, even at the 400 dollar price point its options are pretty fantastic for that (would love to see a full song mode). You can easily rock a whole live set with the TFP as the brain.
Just catching interest in TFP. As a hardware sequencer, how is it? Should it be sync master or is it better if it receives clock from something else?
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Maschine has the best pads currently available. Maschine MKI was already the best but now I own MKII and there is quite a big difference between MKI and MKII in terms of feel and sensitivity. The MKII pads feel smooth and not sticky to the touch and the buttons have a reassuring click. The RGB color pads really help with the overall experience too.

I've owned a PadKontrol before and I would rank its pads a close second behind Maschine. But padkontrol is let down by its overall poor build quality. With the one I had, eventually certain pads started making creaking noises from its cheap plastic chassis being rattled.

One thing is for sure though. If sensitivity is what you're after, avoid any pads made by Akai, period.
Old 8th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
Maschine has the best pads currently available. Maschine MKI was already the best but now I own MKII and there is quite a big difference between MKI and MKII in terms of feel and sensitivity. The MKII pads feel smooth and not sticky to the touch and the buttons have a reassuring click. The RGB color pads really help with the overall experience too.

I've owned a PadKontrol before and I would rank its pads a close second behind Maschine. But padkontrol is let down by its overall poor build quality. With the one I had, eventually certain pads started making creaking noises from its cheap plastic chassis being rattled.

One thing is for sure though. If sensitivity is what you're after, avoid any pads made by Akai, period.
not true..ive had the old mpd's and did the corx upgrade...it was **** you had to do

ive got a maschine mkI, ive had a mikro, which is the same pads as the mkII..ive got spark and an mpc studio, the mpc does sensitive fine. It doesnt have the same texture as maschine but theyre sensitive enough

the softwares better too now...yeah i was shocked too
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Just catching interest in TFP. As a hardware sequencer, how is it? Should it be sync master or is it better if it receives clock from something else?
Wait one month and buy an Arturia Beatstep Pro. I would be careful buying into something like the Trigger Finger Pro that is being abandoned. Nice try by M Audio, but it seems no further development will come for it, software and all. The BSP will always be useable as it's not dependent on software, but will play nicely with any software you want.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
ive had the old mpd's and did the corx upgrade...it was **** you had to do

ive got a maschine mkI, ive had a mikro, which is the same pads as the mkII..ive got spark and an mpc studio, the mpc does sensitive fine. It doesnt have the same texture as maschine but theyre sensitive enough

not true.. Akai pads in general have always had a design flaw where there's a gap between the pads and the actual sensors which are known to often cause missed or double triggering. I don't even consider them in these comparisons since because of the design flaw they essentially require paying customers to do buy additional third party pad fix upgrades in order to make Akai pads sensitive enough.

The Mikro MKI pads are closer to Maschine MKII and Mikro MKII pads because of when the model came out but they're not the same pads. There were subtle changes to the MKI pads over time. The mikro pads that were on the last rev of the MKI were only on a small batch I think (Maybe a year tops if you look at the time lines). The pads on the MKII (both mikro and regular) are the best pads I personally have ever used on a controller.
Old 8th May 2015
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
not true..ive had the old mpd's and did the corx upgrade...it was **** you had to do

I was just playing my mpd24 with the fat pads and the corx update. Wow it still feels good to trigger sounds with it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search