The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
You all need to buy a Solaris. No, seriously, you just do. :)
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
It's great, but it hasn't replaced my Avalon, prophet 6, modal 002, elements, eurorack, or grp a4. All those offer something different or special for an otb rig.
Yeah, again, not a Solaris, but even my experiments running various Scope plugins, including Solaris (I know it's not the same), at 96 khz revealed that, contrary to many claims of users, my analogs were safe. Complemented, but safe.

Another aspect of a Solaris type synth is that, for a guy like myself, it would mean having to give up a lot of individual pieces. While it does a lot, it is tied to John Bowen's philosophy and aesthetic, even though it does a lot of different things. I find that I enjoy having a group of simpler synths with their own personalities, even if that means less capabilities. Also, it's huge, and with the way things are going, space will only be a bigger issue for me. At least for the foreseeable future.

So, until I hit the big time, I'm good with my rag-tag posse of synths and I'll pretend that Tranzistow is my software editor for my Solaris. Seriously, check it out. It's brilliant. Don't worry, you'll get over the "OW! MY EYES!" thing pretty quickly after you hear it.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

That's really good. The Oberheim one does seem to have a little bit of fur on the sound that the Solaris doesn't have, but holy crap, close. The Jupiter one, close too... different though... harder to say, "I like that one better," but not quite the same. Very nice. I should also say that I'm much less a fan of the Jupiter sound than the Oberheim OB8 sound.
Old 19th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That's really good. The Oberheim one does seem to have a little bit of fur on the sound that the Solaris doesn't have, but holy crap, close. The Jupiter one, close too... different though... harder to say, "I like that one better," but not quite the same. Very nice. I should also say that I'm much less a fan of the Jupiter sound than the Oberheim OB8 sound.
yeah its impressive...perhaps slightly 'harder' sound than analogue but the tone is pretty decent...
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yeah its impressive...perhaps slightly 'harder' sound than analogue but the tone is pretty decent...
Right, but then you do get into confirmation bias and what I call "sound imprinting." I think a lot of us got "imprinted" with the sound of classic synths and that's what we like. It's like people who dig marmite. It's horrible unless you grew up with it. Not that extreme, of course, but something like that. I fully admit that while I could totally hear a difference in your soundset demos, I picked the one I thought sounded better... and I picked Diva. So, regardless as to whether or not there is a difference, is that difference better or worse? Or equal and different?
Old 19th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Right, but then you do get into confirmation bias and what I call "sound imprinting." I think a lot of us got "imprinted" with the sound of classic synths and that's what we like. It's like people who dig marmite. It's horrible unless you grew up with it. Not that extreme, of course, but something like that. I fully admit that while I could totally hear a difference in your soundset demos, I picked the one I thought sounded better... and I picked Diva. So, regardless as to whether or not there is a difference, is that difference better or worse? Or equal and different?
yes and I think that is the reason people frequently get analogue and digital tests wrong - because of their 'idea' of what analogue sounds like...whereas in reality there is many characteristics that are so subtle and varied that small things can influence the answer-and no one really wants to sit down and spend hours/weeks/months studying those tiny transient details so they can answer tests correctly....for example in my 'Song Test' Diva actually produced deeper bass than the OB8 so of course everyone thought Diva was 'real analogue' because it has more bass right?
I agree in some cases Diva sounded better, but others I preferred the OB8.

I think analogue and digital have strengths and weaknesses and I see no reason not to use both and have best of both worlds...I feel depressed if I have no analogue gear (including processors) but I realised a while ago I cannot live without the DAW....the key is hybrid IMO for a nice balance....
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search