The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test
View Poll Results: Which synth is First in the 8 bar cycle?
Diva
92 Votes - 51.11%
OB8
88 Votes - 48.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

Analogue vs Digital - Diva and OB8 test

Ive been spending some time investigating the aspects in which Diva sounds different to my analogue gear. Its actually pretty difficult to do this - because Diva is good I would say - and the small differences can sometimes come down to a different 'feel' and other subjective experiences...however in another post I will go further with individual examples.

As part of my tests I decided to make a short track excerpt - a bootleg of an old favorite - to see about the 'stacking' effect (stacking multiple analogue vs softsynth)...and also the 'once its in the mix no one can tell' theory.

This test is an automated A/B switch in a single file between the analogue and softsynth - with closely (slavishly as best I could) matched settings and levels - every 4 bars - its switches. You have to decide what the order is...in the cycle of 8 bars - which is first - OB8 or Diva?

Notes:
Although Diva is no OB8 clone - using the Uhbie filter with the Dual VCO and Triple VCO, Analogue Envelopes - gives pretty similiar results...(I 'think' the Dual VCO is based on a JP6 which has a similar CEM chip to the OB8 for the VCO)...
The sounds were as they came out of both synths - no EQ just levels (and slight spread effect on PWM lead). I took the drum loop off of bootlegged track and had to EQ it a bit to fit best I could. 1 EMT250 style Hall Reverb, compressor and bit of limiter on the master.

Any thoughts welcome

wav:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByO...it?usp=sharing
Attached Files

OB8 Diva - So Like Electric.mp3 (4.82 MB, 5341 views)

Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

That is not bad! Your patches?
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

That's a tough one! My guess: first is HW, second is SW.

Some word of advice though: don't use a poll for this, since then everyone with self-proclaimed golden ears will then reply (after the reveal) "yeah well OF COURSE you could hear that this was totally HW". You want people to put their money where their mouth is and replying in the thread also shows the ones who are willing to do this and the Johnny-come-latelies who only chime in after the fact (plus, it shows the people who never do tests like these while maintaining that they can hear the difference from a mile away anyway).
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
That's a tough one! My guess: first is HW, second is SW.

Some word of advice though: don't use a poll for this, since then everyone with self-proclaimed golden ears will then reply (after the reveal) "yeah well OF COURSE you could hear that this was totally HW". You want people to put their money where their mouth is and replying in the thread also shows the ones who are willing to do this and the Johnny-come-latelies who only chime in after the fact (plus, it shows the people who never do tests like these while maintaining that they can hear the difference from a mile away anyway).
yes but in the poll is shows who answered what...My aim in this is not to try to catch people out or hold them to account - its more just to show its close and investigate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
That is not bad! Your patches?
yeah my patches - fairl simple ones. A brassy patch, a 6 voice unison bass and a PWM lead patch...the thing with Diva is it would be easy to wrongly program it and make it stick out. I took a few days with breaks - getting them as close as I could.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I kept waiting for a break and then a restart.... that never came. I can honestly say that I have no idea which is which. I'm going to say it's a trick and it's all Diva. heh
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

No no - I never do stupid tricks. No break or restart - just A/Bing like it should be if you did it manually. Closely level matched. 4 bars of each one.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

On my internet speakers I can't tell which is which. They both sound the same.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm probably admitting that I am not a proper gearslut, but I have listened on three different sets of headphones, and I can't hear any difference at all.

I have no idea which is which :(

D.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear interested

Great Job, I think you absolutely nailed it. For all practical purposes, I think they're identical.

If I had to guess which was which, I would say DIVA first, Oberheim second. The brass part sounds absolutely identical to me, but the bass sounds ever so slightly different, with the 2nd one sounding a little more "badass". But that's just a guess.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

I ought to mention that reverse sound that comes in before the beat is sampled off the original track so that will sound the same. As for the three main sounds there are small differences.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Well done, but it's not a hard choice and not a small difference IMO. The first one sounds much better to my ears - brighter, more organic and alive, punchier. The second one sounds mushy, washed-down, boring by comparison.

I would guess the first to be the hardware, but I haven't used Diva in a long time and might be pleasantly surprised. Or maybe your converters just suck. ;-)
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

I vote the first being Diva. The OB8 is the one that has slightly less volume, the giveaway in my opinion is the amount of presence and consistency the first part has, and then each cycle I can hear the OB8 quieter but with a bit more character. But either way, it's damn close!
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Maniac

Too close to call but my hunch is the OB8 is first.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I have no clue, the sound so similar. Like the nice 80's influenced track though!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

First off, VERY close and you did an amazing job. Thanks for posting.

My GUESS is that the first one is Diva and the second one is OB8. My reasoning is that the first one is a little too "present" and "accurate." I wouldn't go as far as to say it is harsher, but it sounds a little too clear and punchy. The second one sounds a little warmer and softer. It also sounds a little less "accurate." What I mean by that is that the oscillators don't sound completely in sync (which is a good thing giving it character).

These differences I've stated above are very slight. I am curious as to which is which.

Thanks.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Wow, these are really, really close. If I were casually listening, I wouldn't even notice.

I am wondering if the first one is the OB8?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Based on the crummy speakers on my work laptop, I vote the OB as first. I can hear differences between the two until the drums kick in... then either my ears or the laptop speakers can't account for any difference.

Nice work!
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

My guess was that the first was the OB8, but they were very close.

The first just seemed to have a bit more weight to it, if that means anything to anyone.

Seriously impressive though, both are very, very analoguey.
Old 21st July 2014
I have no clue. It all sounds great.

I have Diva, and it is a phenomenal sounding instrument that just so happens to be software. The audible differences between it and virtually any comparable sound made on a hardware instrument are exceedingly small. Nit-pickers with very good ears (or perhaps those who are just lucky guessers) might be able to tell the difference, but sonically the differences simply aren't material. Non-synthesist listeners will not care, nor with the hardware vs software debate even occur to them.

IMHO, the only significant difference is working with a hardware instrument that you can touch, vs a software instrument that most people are going to use with a mouse.

At $179 for Diva, vs thousands of dollars for hardware synthesizers, I have zero interest in anything hardware that isn't a rompler. Zero. None.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

whatever is playing at :16 is what I feel has more punch and separation.. which I think it's the beginning of the second 8 bars ... or first 4 bars of the 8 bar cycle. I placed my vote wrong in the poll since I can't count :(

Last edited by matias_thinKing; 21st July 2014 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: 8 bars is not 4 bars ... counting fail
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
Diva.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Well done. It's really so close it doesn't matter IMO. This is exactly the reason I sold my MKS-80, Voyager and Nord Lead 4 racks. I then purchased Diva, Monark and a FatSo Jr. Not looking back.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
I'm 99.9% sure the first is the real OB8. There is just a slight bit more punch, but assuming I'm correct Diva does a damn good job and once the drums and loops come in the difference is even less noticeable. Now, if I happen to be wrong, then I will have to admit I like the sound of software better
Old 21st July 2014
Here for the gear

Without having played either of them, I'm guessing the OB8 is the first one. It sounds better (perhaps because its perceived as slightly louder) and it has a seemingly random spread of the voices in the stereo field that is less apparent in the second synth.
Old 21st July 2014
I found the second parts fatter and they gave me more of an eargasm. So I assume that the fatter was the ob8. Wearing £4 earbuds from tiger and listening to mp3 version

Edit oh **** I just noticed I voted against living sounds....
I'll get my coat
Old 21st July 2014
VST
Lives for gear

Starts with Diva is my guess. I can hear warbles in the pad after 4 bars. Sometime the real deal will not sound punchier or louder, in fact the real deal often sounds weedier and more fragile. But that could just be some setting in Diva for all I know. Nice demo

Heard on some crap Logitech's at work.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Damn. This is weird. Earlier I listened on my crap DT990 headphones, and picked the OB8 as the first one. Now I'm listening on a pair of Adams and I'm thinking it's the second one instead. There's more separation there, and the high end is different.

My hearing is muffled at the moment from too loud playing lately, though (I'm ruining my ears and can't stop doing it either, it's nuts), so hopefully I can come back tomorrow after having given my ears some time to recover and listen again without anything having been revealed yet.

In any case: Impressive stuff by the Diva. I'll have to say that.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Well, come on then! Gimme the results!
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

First one sounds a bit more "prang-ier" on the attack, sharper - 2nd one the attack isnt as pronounced...first seemed sweeter to my ears although i have to say as the clip went on i found them virtually indistinguishable
voted OB8 as the first

p.s. this should be left here until the weekend so as many people as possible can vote before the reveal!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I can't tell what is what.

What i find more interesting is that people still want to be right about what is what, rather than just accepting that either synth fits the song perfectly.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search