The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How good is the Moog Werkstatt-01 really?
Old 11th July 2014
Gear Addict

How good is the Moog Werkstatt-01 really?

So, I've watched every single demo on Youtube since we can't get the Werkstatt over here in the UK (yet). I was initially VERY excited about an affordable patchable modular Moog, but must admit I think the sound disappoints in the demo videos, and it can't just be lack of musicianship from the performers as Moog's own demo video doesn't impress either. The oscillator sounds thin and the filter has a squelchy character unbecoming of a Moog. I can't help but think that it must be possible to make something better sounding considering the sublime oscillators and filter of the recent Minitaur.
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Addict

What worries me is the direction Moog is going in, with the recent Sub Phatty touted extensively as "gnarly" sounding by Moog sales department, and now the Werkstatt-01 which really should be marketed as "squelchy".

I think it's a case of the Moog marketing department taking over the shop here. I totally love the fat Moog sound, and so does millions of other people (whether they know it or not, just from listening to records), but the current trend seems to be for a thinner more distorted sound on the cheap, like Arturia Mini/Micro-Brute and Korg Volcas which are all commercial successes.

With the Werkstatt-01, Moog has joined the fray, in the misunderstood interpretation that what the market wants is "thin and raspy", not so IMHO! The success of the Arturia "Brutes" and Korg Volcas has much more to do with price, presentation, style and design of the product than it's sound.

So in conclusion, the Werkstatt-01 scores highly in the low-priced, plasticy "funbox" stakes, just like the Volcas, but sounding like them is very disappointing when it says "MOOG" on the label. I think Moog should protect their brand and not try to emulate cheap Japanese synths in the misunderstood belief that it's the sound thats selling these synths, it's not, it's the price.

Just to conclude, if the Werkstatt-01 sounded like a full-range Minitaur, I'd be buying two or three of them straight away, and you'd see my two Minitaurs for sale on Ebay, and I'd be in heaven patching away at infinite possibilities with such a quality sound in a modular design.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear
Its just a little fun piece of kit, and that's it. If you are looking for that Moog sound, don't get it. If you are looking to use it as the base for a patchable modular system I don't think it's the best place to start. Can it be used for real sounds that one could use in music, absolutely, but so can a Monotron. Sure, the werkstatt is a step (or several steps) above a Monotron. You can get some good sound(s) out of it and the patching capabilities are nice but if you already have a modular setup, it's probably not better than anything in it. My take on it is that it is an experimental sort of thing or an introduction into a simple synth with patching capabilities rather than a full on synth (but technically it is a full on synth - osc, filter, enevelop). I don't think it can replace a minitaur.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsynth View Post
What worries me is the direction Moog is going in, with the recent Sub Phatty touted extensively as "gnarly" sounding by Moog sales department, and now the Werkstatt-01 which really should be marketed as "squelchy".

I think it's a case of the Moog marketing department taking over the shop here. I totally love the fat Moog sound, and so does millions of other people (whether they know it or not, just from listening to records), but the current trend seems to be for a thinner more distorted sound on the cheap, like Arturia Mini/Micro-Brute and Korg Volcas which are all commercial successes.

With the Werkstatt-01, Moog has joined the fray, in the misunderstood interpretation that what the market wants is "thin and raspy", not so IMHO! The success of the Arturia "Brutes" and Korg Volcas has much more to do with price, presentation, style and design of the product than it's sound.

So in conclusion, the Werkstatt-01 scores highly in the low-priced, plasticy "funbox" stakes, just like the Volcas, but sounding like them is very disappointing when it says "MOOG" on the label. I think Moog should protect their brand and not try to emulate cheap Japanese synths in the misunderstood belief that it's the sound thats selling these synths, it's not, it's the price.

Just to conclude, if the Werkstatt-01 sounded like a full-range Minitaur, I'd be buying two or three of them straight away, and you'd see my two Minitaurs for sale on Ebay, and I'd be in heaven patching away at infinite possibilities with such a quality sound in a modular design.
So what would be the problem, if Moog continues to make the synths with the sounds they are known for and continues to make synths like the Werkstatt what is the issue?

Would you stop buying their higher end synths with the "better" sound just because they create products in a lower price range with a less desirable sound?
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsynth View Post

I don't think the Werkstatt was designed for what the 'market' wants, or to sell synths, I think that you have misunderstood what the manufacturer wants from it.

It seems that it is a simple/fun box created for the Moogfest engineers workshop, and made available after requests from the public after that event.

It isn't a mainstream synth model, it never will be with no MIDI/USB, it isn't meant to be a full range Minitaur, it was only meant to be some fun for workshop attendees.

I think it is good that they made it available to those who couldn't attend the workshop, and who still want the synth, no one is being forced to buy it, I don't think Moog are pushing it as their new mainstream synth, I don't understand the drama.
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
Sure, the werkstatt is a step (or several steps) above a Monotron.
Really?
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
Really?
Sound-wise, perhaps. Functionality? No.

I was an attendee at the Moogfest workshop. My Werkstatt is fun, sounds good, and will be fun to extend and modify. But if I were looking to invest in a single small synth, it wouldn't be my first choice...not even remotely.
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know....I mean, take away the letters M-O-O-G from the unit, and seriously, would anyone really be interested in it? I'd much rather have a Monotron or Volca....and for a lot less $.
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Guru
Seems like a fun buddy for the Microbrute
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Guru
Seems like a fun buddy for the Microbrute
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

if you're into modding, and have a eurorack...it looks like it can be awesome. all those cv inputs....and the board....begging for some fun.

otherwise passsssss
Old 11th October 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
I don't think the Werkstatt was designed for what the 'market' wants, or to sell synths, I think that you have misunderstood what the manufacturer wants from it.

It seems that it is a simple/fun box created for the Moogfest engineers workshop, and made available after requests from the public after that event.

It isn't a mainstream synth model, it never will be with no MIDI/USB, it isn't meant to be a full range Minitaur, it was only meant to be some fun for workshop attendees.

I think it is good that they made it available to those who couldn't attend the workshop, and who still want the synth, no one is being forced to buy it, I don't think Moog are pushing it as their new mainstream synth, I don't understand the drama.
If the Werkstatt had a MIDI in, I would have bought one. (maybe two)
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search