The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Integra 7 Users ... How do you like it ?
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Roland Integra 7 Users ... How do you like it ?

Hi,

I'm thinking about adding the Roland Integra 7 module to my setup.

So.. Roland Integra 7 users : How do you like it so far ? Anything you don't like, or would like to see improved ? ...etc.

Do you think the Integra 7 has a better sonic quality than the older Roland XV-Series of modules ? I used to have their XV-5080 long time ago

Oh ... and Roland just added a Windows Editor for the Integra 7 which is one reason I'm considering it at this point in time. (Hope it works with Windows 8.1)

The Integra has 12 Virtual SRX boards. Are there any additional Expansions that can be added now, or in the future ? just wondering if it is possible to add more PCM based sounds to the Integra 7 now, or in the future ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hi,

Just bumping this topic. Since there was zero replies.

Also.. Do you think the new Integra 7 sounds better than the older XV-Series line ? (i.e. Does it have better sounding D/A , higher quality Effects, ..etc.) ?

Bottom line... Is it worth buying ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Nut

Listen to demos and stuff, or go and try one out if possible. It sounds pretty good to me, but I've not tried it.
Old 15th July 2014
I have the Roland Jupiter-50, which has the same Supernatural Synth as the Integra (I believe), as well as many of the Supernatural acoustic sounds. Most of these are very, very good. Plus of course the Integra has thousands of those legacy sounds, many of which are also very usable (I used to have an XV5050 as well). As I am sure you have read, the Integra has received universally great reviews all over the place.

The Integra has so many great sounds, that it could probably be the sole instrument for many people. But that seriously depends upon what kind of music you do. The onboard VA synth sounds very good, and is very flexible, but is very "clean" sounding IMHO. It's strong points are poly synth brass type sounds, analogish strings, and definitely lots of 80's-type keyboard sounds. The Supernatural Acoustic sounds give you very realistic pianos, EPs, strings, bells, and winds, while the organs, brass, and guitars are acceptable but not stellar. The legacy JV and XV library gives you every 80's and 90's sound ever made, many of which are still very usable today, but many are quite dated as well.

If you're making hardcord electronic music, dub and whatnot, the Integra probably won't give you much. But if your tastes stray more toward pop and rock, film, new age... basically anything except hardcore electronic stuff, the Integra could be a great asset.

It also depends upon how you work. The Integra ONLY operates in 16-channel multi mode. This is fine, because it offers dedicated MFX for each of the 16 parts, so playing one part at a time isn't a problem. But it really is designed for MIDI sequencing. You can certainly put parts on the same channel to layer sounds, and use a controller keyboard to do splits and all kinds of fun stuff. But in the studio, it is the ultimate 16-part sequencing monster rack unit, probably the best ever made.

Last edited by keybdwizrd; 15th July 2014 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to check some of the demos/videos, ..etc. and also try it out if I find one at a store before buying it.

For some reason, I don't see much about it here on Gearslutz. Not sure why, but I feel it has a lot of potential to complement my studio gear. Although, I wish the Integra 7 had a newer sound set, i.e. did not include the older SRX sounds, but rather offered a new set better, larger, and more modern/sophisticated higher quality sounds. Oh well, I guess they had to re-visit their past product lines, instead of working on newer, better sounds for 2014. That is the one thing that did not make me feel very good about it. But I will still evaluate it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Addict

I'd buy the Integra just to have the complete XV library in one unit. The Supernatural sounds are icing on the cake. As soon as they blow them out for $1200 or so, I'll be getting one.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
I'd buy the Integra just to have the complete XV library in one unit. The Supernatural sounds are icing on the cake. As soon as they blow them out for $1200 or so, I'll be getting one.
They are priced at $1999. I have no clue when they would blow them out at $1200

I used to have the XV-5080 with a bunch of SRX expansion cards. It has been a decade now, so... I was expecting something new, and better sounding than what they offered a decade ago. This is the only issue I have with the Integra 7. I wouldn't want to just re-visit what I had a decade ago. Roland needs to move forward, and offer newer, better products.

With the high-quality sample libraries offered these days, I might just stick to software based libraries, I already have a Motif XF7, which I feel sounds great.

Roland has a new Workstation as well, but I don't think it sounds as good as the Motif XF.

Again, I am still interested in further evaluating the Integra 7.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
They are priced at $1999. I have no clue when they would blow them out at $1200

I used to have the XV-5080 with a bunch of SRX expansion cards. It has been a decade now, so... I was expecting something new, and better sounding than what they offered a decade ago. This is the only issue I have with the Integra 7. I wouldn't want to just re-visit what I had a decade ago. Roland needs to move forward, and offer newer, better products.

With the high-quality sample libraries offered these days, I might just stick to software based libraries, I already have a Motif XF7, which I feel sounds great.

Roland has a new Workstation as well, but I don't think it sounds as good as the Motif XF.

Again, I am still interested in further evaluating the Integra 7.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Once they discontinue something, Roland usually blows them out at around 60% of the regular selling price. That's how I bought my V-Synth a few years back. I also bought my Fantom G8 new for $1200 when they were blowing those out as well. It's all about timing.

I'd say getting the XV library isn't just revisiting what Roland put out a decade ago. The sounds are pretty much timeless and generally useful, and most of the expansion cards are very good. I actually like that the Integra is a combination of legacy technology that Roland got right (XV expansions) and a look forward with Supernatural.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Once they discontinue something, Roland usually blows them out at around 60% of the regular selling price. That's how I bought my V-Synth a few years back. I also bought my Fantom G8 new for $1200 when they were blowing those out as well. It's all about timing.

I'd say getting the XV library isn't just revisiting what Roland put out a decade ago. The sounds are pretty much timeless and generally useful, and most of the expansion cards are very good. I actually like that the Integra is a combination of legacy technology that Roland got right (XV expansions) and a look forward with Supernatural.
Yes, they will eventually discontinue the Integra 7 , but I'm guessing we are talking in a few years, maybe 3 or more, since it is a relatively new product.

Companies like Roland can always recycle their past sounds into new boxes, but that is one thing I'm not a big fan of. Especially when we are talking a decade old technology/sound expansions.

They could have offered a much higher quality sound set than what they offered a decade or more ago. So, this is a big compromise for me.

Just thinking what they could have done with today's technology, but chose not to, and decided to offer what they already did once again in a new package. No matter how much marketing they try to slam behind the SRX stuff, they are still old products they are trying to revive once again.

Seriously.. I feel they should have offered a new set of sounds that are better for 2014. But then again, there will always be those who feel older sounds offered a decade ago are good enough, and buy it again. That's how marketing works, and as long as there are buyers, Roland will be smiling.
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
For some reason, I don't see much about it here on Gearslutz. Not sure why, but I feel it has a lot of potential to complement my studio gear.
There is not generally a lot of love for romplers here on GS. Although many people don't know that the new Roland instruments, including the Jupiters, FAs, and Integra do contain a very powerful and flexible VA.

You may be more likely to find Integra-7 users on forums such as The Keyboard Corner or Harmony Central.
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
I remember back in the 90's, I wanted a Roland JV1080 more than anything, and as I recall they were about $1,395 new. I waited and waited and waited for the price to get reduced.... finally got mine (which I still have) for about $700. But I guess my point is that when Roland has a hit on their hands, you can wait a long time for a blowout.

FYI, there are quite often used/open box Integras on ebay being sold by retailers for $1,400-$1,600.

To the OP: If you buy one of these, if you don't like it you can always re-sell on ebay for about what you paid for it.
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
FYI, there are quite often used/open box Integras on ebay being sold by retailers for $1,400-$1,600.
I got a brand new Integra 7 from a reputable dealer in NYC late last year for $1495. You just have to open your mouth. Only suckers pay retail.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I remember back in the 90's, I wanted a Roland JV1080 more than anything, and as I recall they were about $1,395 new. I waited and waited and waited for the price to get reduced.... finally got mine (which I still have) for about $700. But I guess my point is that when Roland has a hit on their hands, you can wait a long time for a blowout.
Yeah, I'm not really in a hurry. A few months ago I did a package deal on a new Kronos and Fantom G8 for just a few hundred dollars more than the price of an Integra 7. The funny thing is, used/mint G8's are selling on eBay and CL for more than I paid for *both* the G8 and Kronos combined. I could turn around and sell the G8, buy a new Integra, and pocket the $600 left over. In the final survey, I'll have gotten a new Integra for less than the going rate and the Kronos for free.

But I think I'll wait. Eventually the Integra will either be blown out or I'll find one for a deal on CL. One thing about living in Austin is that everything shows up on CL eventually. You just have to be ready to move on it when a good one comes along.

Roland really do have a decent hit on their hands, even though a lot of people are dumping hardware romplers and going software.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

I just got one about a week ago. It's AH-MAZ-ING.

Exactly what I needed to go with my other synths (Juno 106, PEK, mopho, P12 and slim phatty again soon)

16 channels of digital synths (each with their own effects) without sacrificing ANY CPU power - yes please! And, the sounds are great and fit in the mix very very well.

I wanted one for 2 years but they wouldn't make a PC VST editor. Now that it's out, I scooped it up immediately. I couldn't be happier!

I run it SPDIF (luckily my sound card has SRC on input so I do not have to clock to the Integra) and then I also run 2 sets of stereo analog outs from it. SO I try to keep everything on SPDIF for digital INTEGRity but if i really need to separate something into Cubase I have 2 other stereo paths. Usually I wind up running pads and that kinda thing digital, then maybe seperate bass and any drums among the other analog outputs.

Anyway, you can grab it used for $1500 it's a NO BRAINER.

Dont forget the AXIAL website for tons of free sound banks.

It's definitely the best digital multi-timbral rack unit ever made.
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Dont forget the AXIAL website for tons of free sound banks.
^^^ This
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Maniac

The thing that surprised me with the Integra 7 was that despite it having a zillion patches, it didn't have all the patches I used when I had a JV1080 with the JV-04 Vintage Expansion board. One was a particular Moog bass (called 'Classic MG' I think).

I believe this is because it contains all the SRX boards which are themselves a 'best of'.

There was another stock JV-1080 sound called 'Alive' which is present but without an A/B comparison I'm not sure that it sounds 'exactly' the same.

Apart from that it's still a great bread and butter module. Maybe the front panel editing isn't as intuitive as what the JV-1080 was. I presume this is because it's main feature is really the SuperNatural tones and not the legacy JV/SRX four tone stuff.

I can't pass comment on how the sound quality compares though I do like the ability to record digitally.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hi.

Can someone explain how the SuperNatural Tones differ from the normal tones ? and can one create a SuperNatural Tone based instrument from scratch ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

What I don't get with the integra is yes it has more sounds etc, but if I go an rbus to adat convertor for my 5080 (something I may do) I'd effectively get more mixing possibilities from something produced 14 years ago. Not to mention I can load any JV80+ patch natively.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
What I don't get with the integra is yes it has more sounds etc, but if I go an rbus to adat convertor for my 5080 (something I may do) I'd effectively get more mixing possibilities from something produced 14 years ago. Not to mention I can load any JV80+ patch natively.
yea the lack of digital connectivity is BULL**** - but the Integra is 24/96. Only 4 channels possible over ADAT anyway. plus ADAT sucks. an AES DB25, however, would cream my jeans
Old 15th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
yea the lack of digital connectivity is BULL****
I feel like they intentionally crippled it to promote sales of their Octa Capture, which you see in many videos of the Integra 7. A real dick move.

OCTA-CAPTURE: Hi-Speed USB Audio Interface | Roland U.S.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I feel like they intentionally crippled it to promote sales of their Octa Capture, which you see in many videos of the Integra 7. A real dick move.

OCTA-CAPTURE: Hi-Speed USB Audio Interface | Roland U.S.
Haha. Now it all makes sense. Of course they did. Might have to get one eventually. Prices dropping like a stone on them.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

I can't see people pissing and moaning about the Integra when you're still seeing individual SRX boards going for 200-300 USD every day and most of the JV ones rising over time. And people are using them in machines that dont even sound as great as the Integra.

Until you actually have one or get to try one out in a decent room you can't really compare them to the older modules. Used in the US you can get one for $1300-$1500 no problem right now.

I have an Integra and a JD990 with a Vintage card (and string ensemble card set) and its all I'll ever need for ROMplering.

The more I use the Integra I really like it, I really like the Supernatural sound synthesizer emulation that they put in it. Has a great tight sound. Very editable. It is really good for pads and basses. I wasn't even expecting to use the synthesizer part of it with all of the stuff I already have.

Like I said, for me, it's perfect. I wanted stock sounds into my analog and modular studio but I didnt want to buy a softsynth that would be taxing my computer nor bring another damned keyboard into the house. All this power, all these sounds and effects and mixing just sit in a tiny rack.

When I first started jonesing for the Integra part of the reason is that I missed (silly, I know) a RD700 stage piano that I bought for super cheap and flipped for a lot more than I paid for it. Some of the sounds, some of the silly but very editable digital effects in it I missed as well. I have an Eventide Eclipse, Lexicon 300, plenty of great outboard and somehow I still missed these dumb effects. Those effects are in the Integra and sound much better. I wish the external input was able to take on all the effects but at least they can still be subject to the reverb and chorus.

I have the feeling that there is going to be a lot of development of the Integra over the next few years. It is now finally starting to hit its stride in hype, use and popularity. I think Roland are finally figuring out what they can do with it.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

coming out with the windows editor is going to sell 1000s more units.
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For some reason, I don't see much about it here on Gearslutz. Not sure why, but I feel it has a lot of potential to complement my studio gear. Although, I wish the Integra 7 had a newer sound set, i.e. did not include the older SRX sounds, but rather offered a new set better, larger, and more modern/sophisticated higher quality sounds. Oh well, I guess they had to re-visit their past product lines, instead of working on newer, better sounds for 2014. That is the one thing that did not make me feel very good about it. But I will still evaluate it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Well it's Roland. What do you expect in GS? For example, the way people talked about the Jupiter 80 in here is one of the finest examples of idiocy and ignorance on the internet.

Regarding the Integra what do you mean you wish it had a new sound set? The integra is a new soundset! The older tones are the icing on the cake! A gigantic icing!
Well, actually they're another cake on top :D

I've had the Integra for almost a year now and it's an amazing box. I remember when i turned it on and played it i was amazed. The sound is really really good, powerful and fresh. The supernatural acoustic sounds are really great and fun to play. Love the guitars!
And nobody talks about the new supernatural acoustic drums. I think they're the best acoustic drums available today be it on hardware or software and they are extremely editable.

The pcm sounds are also still fresh. It's amazing.

I mean there is so much sound possibilities in here that one of the things it can do is actually harm your music production, because if you start exploring while looking for tones you will get lost in them!

Stop waiting for the new yamaha workstation and try this out :P
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Trust me…

I have owned all of the major synths. Motif, Kronos, Fantom etc.

The only one I kept out of all of them was the Jupiter- 80.

Massive polyphony, soundsets, tone sculpting.

One of the reasons I will not buy the system 1 is because the Jupiter has all the sounds from all their legacy keyboards.

TB, Juno etc etc.

Keep you going for years. Very deep if you want.

Did I mention how expressive the supernatural sounds are.

One of the only key/synths I won't sell.

Cheers
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

The Integra is just great, all ROLAND legacy in 1 box. + All the Supernaturals.
People who don't like it, didn't know what they were getting into. But when you live and breath ROLAND JV for 25 years this unit is a godsend.
sounds so much better than al those ITB romplers /GM modules
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGmaestro View Post
Well it's Roland. What do you expect in GS? For example, the way people talked about the Jupiter 80 in here is one of the finest examples of idiocy and ignorance on the internet.

Regarding the Integra what do you mean you wish it had a new sound set? The integra is a new soundset! The older tones are the icing on the cake! A gigantic icing!
Well, actually they're another cake on top :D

I've had the Integra for almost a year now and it's an amazing box. I remember when i turned it on and played it i was amazed. The sound is really really good, powerful and fresh. The supernatural acoustic sounds are really great and fun to play. Love the guitars!
And nobody talks about the new supernatural acoustic drums. I think they're the best acoustic drums available today be it on hardware or software and they are extremely editable.

The pcm sounds are also still fresh. It's amazing.

I mean there is so much sound possibilities in here that one of the things it can do is actually harm your music production, because if you start exploring while looking for tones you will get lost in them!

Stop waiting for the new yamaha workstation and try this out :P
Hi DNGmaestro,

Thanks for the positive feedback regarding the Integra-7.

I'm seriously looking into adding it to my setup. It would surely add a lot of sonic power, and as you said, it has a lot to offer as far as tones are concerned, that I will surely be spending many sleepless nights programming, and discovering it's deeper potential.

As far as waiting for the next generation of Yamaha workstation. Well.. I already gave up on them. I think they have their lost their mojo. Which is very Sad. Their latest release is a white Motif XF ...

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Trust me…

I have owned all of the major synths. Motif, Kronos, Fantom etc.

The only one I kept out of all of them was the Jupiter- 80.

Massive polyphony, soundsets, tone sculpting.

One of the reasons I will not buy the system 1 is because the Jupiter has all the sounds from all their legacy keyboards.

TB, Juno etc etc.

Keep you going for years. Very deep if you want.

Did I mention how expressive the supernatural sounds are.

One of the only key/synths I won't sell.

Cheers
Hi nickknack,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying your Jupiter 80. It is a great sounding synth. But.. I'm more interested in the Integra 7.

Have you checked or compared the Jupiter 80 to the Integra 7 from a purely sonic perspective ? Do you think the Integra 7 resembles the Jupiter 80 sonically ? ... any feedback you wish to contribute about this would be helpful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search