The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Korg Monotron Series
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Maniac

The Korg Monotron Series

I'm very tempted to buy them all! Are they worth it? Are they noisy beyond usable? Should I keep my money for a MS-20 mini? For the price, the risk is low but I don't want to waste my time too...

I'm curious to know if you can get a good sound buy plugin them in chain. I've checked on YouTube but haven't found anything interesting.

thanks
Old 24th February 2014
PES
Lives for gear

I would rather put the money towards an MS-20 Mini.

I've got the Tron and Tribe, but don't see much use in getting the other two. I think at least the Tron is worth getting, just to have something with that interface, and also as a distortion/filter unit.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Maniac

The Delay looks fun and you can run your synths through it. Cheaper than a Moogerfooger! Would go great with the Volca Bass.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear maniac

Depends on what you like to create. For interesting sounds and textures, a monotron is great and cheap. Hook it up to a volume pedal, delay pedal and then into an amp with character and it can get a wide range of great, visceral sounds. It's all about cranking the LFO way up. Do not get it if you want to just make boopy little melodies.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

I have the delay one and it's a ton of fun but trying to tune it/ use it with other instruments is an issue and it's noisy. I love playing with it while I'm waiting for tracks to bounce down etc. I got it used for $30 and for that price I would def buy it again.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
I have the delay one and it's a ton of fun but trying to tune it/ use it with other instruments is an issue and it's noisy. I love playing with it while I'm waiting for tracks to bounce down etc. I got it used for $30 and for that price I would def buy it again.
The tuning problem is what prevent me from buying it. If I create a nice sound FX, would I be able to easily find the root note of my sound (with the mini keyboard I guess)? With the delay and some lfo I' pretty sure a guitar tuner will be helpless to give me the root note of my sound.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
run it through an auto tune plug in, makes them sound even funkier
Old 24th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleScience View Post
I'm very tempted to buy them all! Are they worth it? Are they noisy beyond usable? Should I keep my money for a MS-20 mini? For the price, the risk is low but I don't want to waste my time too...

I'm curious to know if you can get a good sound buy plugin them in chain. I've checked on YouTube but haven't found anything interesting.

thanks
Buy them used for peanuts and try them out. Super low risk.

Most likely you'll end up wanting a MS20 after buying it. But they are fun experiment with and sound design with.

So I say go for it. If you don't want them after that sell them.

As for playing notes on them...in my opinion...forget it.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

I also have great fun running the output of some old cheapy Casio keyboards from the 80s into the Monotron delay, using the filter and the delay rocks with them

especially fun with my Casio SK1's and SK200, I have even run an aux out of my mixer into it and then back into a channel for fun with microphones
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Buy them used for peanuts and try them out. Super low risk.

Most likely you'll end up wanting a MS20 after buying it. But they are fun experiment with and sound design with.

So I say go for it. If you don't want them after that sell them.

As for playing notes on them...in my opinion...forget it.
Do you mean that they are out of tune out of the box?
Old 24th February 2014
No the ribbon controller sucks to play on.
Old 25th February 2014
As you re aiming for suggestion i ll recommend you to buy the monotron ( pretty cheap ; sits nicely in your pocket ) . it s not bigger than a game boy and you ll like to get it out whenever u want to play it with earbuds ??? ... it s good on a mix also ; but to get the real instrument ( MS20 mini )will get you to make music instead of adding some fx and fool around ( Monotron ) ... Draven5 warned you !!!! you ll " most likely end up buying ms20 mini "....

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 25th February 2014
ha

Actually what happened was this

Monotron -----> then I bought a Monotribe -----> then I bought an original MS20. No joke.
Old 25th February 2014
i have all three monotrons...they were fun for a few week but ultimately sort of toyish really...for the price of all 3 your VERY close to a korg volca bass or keys or beats which are defo NOT toys, they have midi and sound great...i have a volca bass btw!
Old 25th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
i have all three monotrons...they were fun for a few week but ultimately sort of toyish really...for the price of all 3 your VERY close to a korg volca bass or keys or beats which are defo NOT toys, they have midi and sound great...i have a volca bass btw!
Just saw that Volca Bass has three oscillators, might as well buy this instead of three monotron. I'm looking for a cheap way to have some new analog juice in my music. Already have DSi Mopho keyboard and a couple of other synth (Mirage, Poly-800, etc.).
Old 25th February 2014
Gear Addict

Won't do for melodies but it is quite fun. However, to spend wisely, I supposed you could get one of three (take a pick) then sell it off later. Get the Volcas, they are much better.
Old 25th February 2014
Quote:
Just saw that Volca Bass has three oscillators, might as well buy this instead of three monotron. I'm looking for a cheap way to have some new analog juice in my music. Already have DSi Mopho keyboard and a couple of other synth (Mirage, Poly-800, etc.).
I use my monotron as a filter mostly. Makes digital and va's sound nasty.
Mine's midi modded and the tuning is pretty much crap more than a few notes down the keys. Works great for drones though.
If you just want a cheap analog get the Volca. Or critter and Guitari Bolsa bass. Sounds thicker IMO.
Old 25th February 2014
Got 2 and they're my goto's for crazy fx and for the filter.
Love'm.
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

I find playing the ribbon controller using the hard eraser end of a new pencil works a little better. You can tune a note by ear pretty easily. I really should record mine and see what I can do with it. I seriously love fiddling with it. I was thinking of gluing a pencil eraser to a clothes pin to try and create a drone note on it.
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are they worth it?
No.

Quote:
Are they noisy beyond usable?
Yes.

Had a couple. They're toys. The delay was the only interesting one. Their range is incredibly limited. Returned after a coupled of weeks, no regrets.
Old 25th February 2014
Quote:
I was going to suggest this but held back because too many times in threads people ask about a piece of gear specifically and people tell them to buy something else so didn't want to do that. But cool you made that move.

I will say out of all of them the monotron delay is the best to have for dirty effects as others have mentioned.
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

I think the volca keys is closer to the monotron trio in terms of functionality.

The problem with the volcas is that you'll want all 3. They're tremendous.
Old 25th February 2014
I had all three, I kept the Delay. They are toys but fun, especially for wild FX.
Old 25th February 2014
Here for the gear

Fun for hacking. My 'Tron is MIDIfied and CV/gate moddd and I run it into either my Mopho or Microbrute as an extra oscillator (usually detuned or as a sub). Tracks really well once callibrated.

Not sure if they all do this, but plugging external input into the 'Tron triggers the filter, even with no sound coming in, so I get a constant annoying click from the LFO unless I turn everything down. Almost needs an internal noise gate!
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search