The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-audio Trigger Finger Pro
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

M-audio Trigger Finger Pro

Figured i should start a thread for this as a few people have already showed interest. i think this is gonna be a winner. If you can sequence external gear and it has a good song mode, swing, etccccc.

M-Audio - New Products for 2014
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

So the step sequencer and song mode are internal to the unit and not part of a software program/plugin running on your computer like Maschine and the new MPC products? I guess that is both good and bad. Regardless, the Trigger Finger Pro looks cool and I would much prefer entering steps on a row of 16 trigger pads versus the 4x4 grid on Maschine and the MPC.
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Nut

Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondis View Post
Hmmm, this thing is sounding pretty awesome

[NAMM] M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro - YouTube
sweet, you can control external gear and plugins. as long as the song mode is up to par i think ill probably grab one.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

I am curious about the x0x sequencing, and how it integrates with your DAW, HW, etc. Looking forward to more.

Can't say I like the aesthetic (reminds me of the Roland MC-808) but I can see why they would do it, it looks flashy, blue LEDs are in, etc.
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
So the step sequencer and song mode are internal to the unit and not part of a software program/plugin running on your computer like Maschine and the new MPC products? I guess that is both good and bad. Regardless, the Trigger Finger Pro looks cool and I would much prefer entering steps on a row of 16 trigger pads versus the 4x4 grid on Maschine and the MPC.
If that's the case, I wish it had an actual MIDI port and not just USB.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Hmm, there's some potential in this one certainly... I've been waiting for a simple xox midi sequencer / drum machine combo, and this will probably be pretty cheap ($300 my guess)... I'm excited about this one!
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Looks flexible and powerful. No word on price?

FYI large-sized image of the controller here.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
If that's the case, I wish it had an actual MIDI port and not just USB.
Photo shows both?
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Looks flexible and powerful. No word on price?

FYI large-sized image of the controller here.
$399
Old 23rd January 2014
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Photo shows both?
Oops. Thank you.
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Nut

Looks good..
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

This thing really looks great after watching that video, and at $400 it has a lot to offer. Hopefully in a year it will fall to below $300 on the bay and I'll scoop one up then.
Old 23rd January 2014
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
$399
If the Trigger Finger Pro is really $399 I think M-Audio might have a hard time competing against the Akai MPC Essential which is only $149. If all you really need is a set of trigger pads, the MPC Essential seems hard to beat (excuse the pun!).
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

I agree, $399 is a little pricey, considering that the Maschine Mikro is $50 less, and Arturia's SparkLE is $150 less, and both can act as more generic TFP-like controllers.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
If the Trigger Finger Pro is really $399 I think M-Audio might have a hard time competing against the Akai MPC Essential which is only $149. If all you really need is a set of trigger pads, the MPC Essential seems hard to beat (excuse the pun!).
hmmm, the trigger finger has way more features. knobs, sliders, step sequencer, and you can sequence external gear and you can do most things on the hardware itself.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
hmmm, the trigger finger has way more features. knobs, sliders, step sequencer, and you can sequence external gear and you can do most things on the hardware itself.
Maschine has a mature eco system and can be found on the used market under $200. I think they've priced themselves out of the midi controller game at $399.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting. I had the Trigger Finger and wasn't crazy fond of the pads, I'll have to check this out.
Old 23rd January 2014
I wanna see that step sequencer running, and want to see it work with an external synth
Old 1st March 2014
Gear maniac

I just wanted to say... this is my most anticipated piece of 2014...

What the hell took people so long to have a comfortable 16 step seq. with pads on it like this...
beyond me.

Plus I loved the original trigger finger pads, imho no comparison to MPC pads, even modded
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom99 View Post
I just wanted to say... this is my most anticipated piece of 2014...

What the hell took people so long to have a comfortable 16 step seq. with pads on it like this...
beyond me.
I've got a friend who for years now has been getting away with BPM and an Akai MPD32. Really amazing results. Yes, the cost today is 50% more than the TFP by itself, but the software is bulletproof (is M-Audio's?).
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
I've got a friend who for years now has been getting away with BPM and an Akai MPD32. Really amazing results. Yes, the cost today is 50% more than the TFP by itself, but the software is bulletproof (is M-Audio's?).
well, i have an akai lpd8*, (*maybe not the best representation for akai) and I used to own a fast track pro and axiom 25 1st gen for about 5 years. The m-audio stuff stood up to a beating I've never seen any electronics take. Never. Say what you will about Chinese made products, but a fair share of pro live acts will use m-audio on stage and in the studio. Not just to promote them either. The akai still works but i'm not fond of the pads.

That MOTU BPM looks interesting, never heard of it somehow. The feature unique to the trigger finger pro is the scrolling step sequencer light, you could try and program a step sequencer like this (such as mapping pads to redrum) but latency, stability, and the fact you don't see the steps visually makes this a real chore.

-edit I guess the big LCD on the BPM would serve as ample visual feedback, but I would prefer the super "hands on" lights on the TFP
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

This guy said that it works as a stand alone sequencer and that the plugin is just the sound engine. If that is true, then this could be the exact tool I am looking for.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjiGgz9xJ1I
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

need more details

16 track?
polyphony?
PPQ?
pattern and song modes?
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

No kidding... What is the deal with putting products out to market, and not having a full detail manual yet? Same with the new Roland stuff...
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
This guy said that it works as a stand alone sequencer and that the plugin is just the sound engine. If that is true, then this could be the exact tool I am looking for.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjiGgz9xJ1I
I just watched the same video and really this is hitting my sweetspot for some pads and a sequencer etc. Esp. LOVE the look of the XoX style sequencing-select pad, make pattern, very much hoping that those faders/encoders on the top left are available per-pad in that mode....
Great deal and mature as it is, this is looking better to me right now than Maschine. Oh and he said May release in this vid.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Little bit more info.....the sequencer holds 16 patterns of up to 64 notes each...KERCHING!

Control-wise I'm still a little unclear but the man sayeth, "One TFP preset can hold up to 16 sequences. Each sequence can hold up to 4 "bars", each bar being 16 steps. So, you could say 16x64 steps.

Now each sequence will hold just the note or step sequence information, no parameter/control assignments. However, you have 4 Control Banks. So, each preset has 16 separate fader and knob assignments."
Old 15th June 2014
Gear interested

I got mine 4 days ago. It's really fun. Has some good sounds that comes with it too. Even got it 10%.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search