[Sound Design] Detroit techno soft lead synth (hipster house content)
Old 28th December 2013
Gear Addict

[Sound Design] Detroit techno soft lead synth (hipster house content)

So here is the track:

I'm after the soft lead that runs from the start of the clip.

Whats the basic principle behind it?

It's gotta be real simple I can tell - unless it's FM i'm hoping to recreate it on my Microbrute if that would be possible.

I don't have access to any vintage synthesizers but something like that must be able to achieve in any modern soft synth - just looking for the basic principle to get me started.

Old 28th December 2013
Gear Addict

Alright, I've actually stumbled across it just now while playing around with some presets.

However its using a strange waveform in Zeta+ so wouldn't know how to explain it to others - but I think it's effectively detuned triangles with a bit filter on the top to take the crispy highs out and you end up with the soft synth sound
Old 28th December 2013
Sounds like a chord......maybe a sampled chord, with a lot of glide.
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

I see you found something while I was typing but here's my thought's on it:

They're chords(or just two notes), so you'd have to multitrack the Micro, but it's certainly possible. Use portamento and turn the cutoff down to get that muted sound(or just use a sine/triangle wave). Legato will keep the envelopes from retriggering, as well. The clip is probably done with a "chord memory" function. Many synths have this. Multiple keys can be triggered using a single key. This takes polyphony. If the synth has poly portamento, it would just be a matter of playing chords with legato.

Come to think of it, if it's only two notes, it may just be a 2 Osc synth with the tuning to the desired interval.
Old 28th December 2013
Gear Addict

Yeah awesome bil_g, I think I will try that with triangles in a soft synth from scratch before I arse about multitracking my mono - cheers!
Old 30th December 2013
Osc sine or triangle, double the chords like in the screenshot below:
Attached Thumbnails
[Sound Design] Detroit techno soft lead synth (hipster house content)-chords.png  
Attached Files
chords.mp3 (40.4 KB, 374 views)

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search