The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Minibrute Microbrute or both Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th November 2013
Gear Nut

Minibrute Microbrute or both

Anyone own the Minibrute and also planning on buying a Microbrute or is there too much overlap?
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear
Not overlap to me. If I was a Minibrute owner and loved the sound of the synth, then a Microbrute purchase would be a no brainer. We are talking another OCS, patching and routings, and more synth knobs to fool with...
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

This is gearslutz. Get both.

That being said I have a minibrute but don't plan on getting a micro. I considered it for a while but ultimately don't think it's the right place for my budget
Old 4th November 2013
Gear nut

Yes get more gear! Also consider the ms20 mini, or get all 3!
Old 4th November 2013
Gear maniac

I ordered both.
Old 4th November 2013
Bought the MiniBrute only six weeks ago, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Also, running the Volca Bass into it as extra oscillators, & then going through a Big Briar MF-101 (my somewhat modular), so I feel like I have enough options. And, as small as the MicroBrute is, I have no more space - something would have to go.

(Photo taken before VBass arrived)

Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

I have the MiniBrute- but am not considering the MicroBrute

Thus far I'm still looking to get the MS-20mini - because the MicroBrute doesn't have Ring Mod, and I would really like to add a 2cnd Oscillator with Ring mod to the Minibrute

I looked at the Volca Keys for this, but it does not seem to offer any Ring mod patching access.
Old 8th November 2013
dtp
Gear Head

I'm have a mini, and am getting the micro. The routing options and the sequencer make it worth it to me.
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Nut

I have both, it opens up a lot of cool possibilities. Having the extra osc and the 5th really help add a lot to the minis palette. I've also really been having fun making drum sounds, which the mini by itself has trouble with because it cant use an envelope to control pitch, and the micro doesn't have noise. They really do shore up each others weaknesses well. On top of that i get an extra filter for stereo external sources, I am very pleased with the combination.
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm a pretty firm no. The microbrute is rather nice, but it does have much the same character as the mini (as you'd expect). While I do have a bit of sequencer envy, I'd rather use the money to expand the sound palette than recover the same ground. This could mean a bit of eurorack - you could expand the capabilities of the mini in all sorts of interesting ways, or maybe something offering a very different character - maybe a DSI evolver or a moog minitaur.
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub View Post
I'm a pretty firm no. The microbrute is rather nice, but it does have much the same character as the mini (as you'd expect). While I do have a bit of sequencer envy, I'd rather use the money to expand the sound palette than recover the same ground. This could mean a bit of eurorack - you could expand the capabilities of the mini in all sorts of interesting ways, or maybe something offering a very different character - maybe a DSI evolver or a moog minitaur.
This is kind of how I feel. Different.. but not really different enough. Frankly, I wish they would have done (as is hinted in another thread) a "Maxibrute" that has all the feature of the mini and micro.In that case, I'd probably sell the Micro and buy the Maxi. Note to Arturia, if you plan on doing such a thing, add a way to save presets as well. I'd be first in line for one.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

I might eventually get a microbrute if I find one used at a good price some day. Minbrute does all kinds of really nice arpish, sweet lead & FX type sounds that would sound nice poly, and the sequencer/sub overtones are nice additions. But lack of presets and decent midi implementation makes me wary of investing too much in the `brute' line. Its just that when you start investing $800 + in a system, you start to expect more. i only spent $400 on my minibrute and so I find its limits an acceptable tradeoff.

I just love the sound and all the controls, I can put up with some limitations because of that.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

For me this is brilliant. That filter is really unique and hats off for doing something different. And its CV intergration makes this a sorta no-brainer for me. As I was going to get a KMI Quenexus for its cv/midi/osc integration Ill happily take 2 od the 3 and go with the added monster synth for an extra hundred bucks.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Et two 'Brute.
Attached Thumbnails
Minibrute Microbrute or both-imageuploadedbygearslutz1384051580.122696.jpg   Minibrute Microbrute or both-imageuploadedbygearslutz1384051602.446043.jpg  
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Another depth comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Minibrute Microbrute or both-imageuploadedbygearslutz1384052606.240037.jpg   Minibrute Microbrute or both-imageuploadedbygearslutz1384052618.981674.jpg  
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

so cute
Old 10th November 2013
Gear interested

I got a mini, and just ordered the microbrute (as well as volca keys and beats... gotta love a slut). Looking forward to hooking up the mini, micro, freqbox, and the volcas for some semi modular mayhem! Mod matrix and the sequencer sold me. Especially since you can stack the mod matrix out to at least 3 cv outs without loss of voltage.

Although looking back, I'm sure I could have a pretty decent modular going for the $1300 I've invested in all this. Its hard for me to pass up these cheap prices; the interest free credit for a year also helps. If I could get some eurorack through amazon I'd be all over it.
Old 10th November 2013
bry
Gear Addict

I own a minibrute and I have no interest in getting a microbrute, and if I owned a microbrute I don't think I'd have much of an interest on the minibrute, since they're pretty much the same thing in different sizes.

What the patch bay on the microbrute allows you to do on the microbrute you can also do on the minibrute with the extra knobs, so it is only an advantage if you're plugging it into a modular system.

Minibrute has full size keys and is already small enough.

Microbrute has a 64 step sequencer, minibrute has a 16 step sequencer mode, but it also has an arpeggiator, which the microbrute doesn't have.

Separate envelopes for amp and filter are also a good advantage for the minibrute, and the fifth sub octave is a nice advantage on the microbrute...

Overall the minibrute is still the most complete, but they're quite similar and rather than have two synths with the same sound, I'd prefer to add some diversity with either an MS-20 or a Minitaur, as they'd complement each other better.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post

What the patch bay on the microbrute allows you to do on the microbrute you can also do on the minibrute with the extra knobs, so it is only an advantage if you're plugging it into a modular system.
Except there is only gate out and pitch out on the MiniBrute. I like the LFO options on the MiniBrute, and I am kinda miffed that the MiniBrute doesn't have this kind of patchability.

I appreciate the MicroBrute sub-osc, too. I want to see more of these two synths in tandem and all the options available for these two synths to work as one 2 osc monosynth. If they want to sell these to MiniBrute owners, they should really talk about what they can do together.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scholl View Post
Except there is only gate out and pitch out on the MiniBrute. I like the LFO options on the MiniBrute, and I am kinda miffed that the MiniBrute doesn't have this kind of patchability.

I appreciate the MicroBrute sub-osc, too. I want to see more of these two synths in tandem and all the options available for these two synths to work as one 2 osc monosynth. If they want to sell these to MiniBrute owners, they should really talk about what they can do together.
Yes I would like to hear about how both of these guys can play together. I have the MiniBrute and don't think I would want the same timbres unless using CV and analog in can really bring a lot more to the table. I have never used CV so I am a novice in that regard. A second osc would be cool just would like to understand ways to achieve that, plus the Micro's step seq. looks cool
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
With regards to the patch bay, a few expressive routings spring to mind:
Routing ENV to pitch.
Routing LFO or ENV to sub timbre. This produces some unique and usable results.
And I'm looking into cables to stack the routings.
I'm also wanting to explore CV gate/pitch routed to the matrix with some longer cables.

I have to make an effort to lug the Minibrute around. The Micro is so light, I can pack it along at a whim to have an analog with me on trips if creativity strikes.

The Micro has enough similarity to complement the Brute. Sonically it can do about 80-90%. But it has enough differences to be entertaining in its own right.

No one HAS to buy a Micro if you have a Mini. But it's not just a duplication of a tool, it's more like an expander.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

For folks wondering why get both a Micro and a Mini:

Micro + Mini + TR909

Old 11th November 2013
Gear nut

That's what I'm talking about, Catmandeaux. Did you do the Micro/Mini Magnetic Fields vid I saw last night on Youtube? Very cool. How about oscillator stacking? How does the Microbrute oscillator sound volume-wise as external audio into Minibrute, or vice-versa? If you have the time to explore, that is. I appreciate you taking the time to post these vids.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Nut

Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

I googled CV gate and pitch but there still is some confusion on my end. My ? is how would one add another oscillator to either the Mini or Micro(using both) and say use the Micro's step seq. for note info? Would you need both CV pitch and gate?. I do understand the audio in part but would like to get a grip on several ways to fatten up either synth and of course experimenting would be fun as well
Old 11th November 2013
Gear addict

yep, cv and gate will send the keyboard control, just route it's oscillator audio out into your audio in. They will use the same filter and env and such.

Quote:
And I'm looking into cables to stack the routings.
This gets weird with analog as adding another patch cable drops the voltage in half, so it's tough to do on things that need to be precise, and on other things you'll often need an amplifier to account for the drop in voltage.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

I have the minibrute & i want the Micro too. It's mean sounding monosynth with analogue & midi connectivity for only £250. Built pretty sturdy & not too big.
Hell, i'd buy it even if i didn't own the mini !

Old 11th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDeux View Post
For folks wondering why get both a Micro and a Mini:

Micro + Mini + TR909

Sure, you can make some cool sounds and good music with both, but I still don't see a hugely compelling reason for owning both when there are other instruments that would complement either one better with less overlap. Am I wrong?
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scholl View Post
That's what I'm talking about, Catmandeaux. Did you do the Micro/Mini Magnetic Fields vid I saw last night on Youtube? Very cool. How about oscillator stacking? How does the Microbrute oscillator sound volume-wise as external audio into Minibrute, or vice-versa? If you have the time to explore, that is. I appreciate you taking the time to post these vids.
Chris, I didn't create the vids. Just forwarding them along to help with the debate of whether or not a Micro is worth adding to the Mini.

I haven't had the chance to do much of an a-b comparison, but the sound is very familiar. I can report that while the micro is a USB midi compliant device, some programs (i.e. LittleMidiMachine) aren't recognizing it when used with an iPad Air and the camera connection kit.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyforsluts View Post
This gets weird with analog as adding another patch cable drops the voltage in half, so it's tough to do on things that need to be precise, and on other things you'll often need an amplifier to account for the drop in voltage.
Yves Usson said that there is enough impedance to handle routing to 3-4 simultaneous destinations.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search