Any Nord Lead 4 Users Here ?
Old 25th October 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Any Nord Lead 4 Users Here ?

Hi,

I recently got my Nord Lead 4 (Desktop) , and love the way it sounds, I'm still discovering all the new features, and learning how to program it.

It would be cool to hear some feedback from other NL4 users.

Let's discuss : How do you like it so far ? Programming the new features, Tips ... etc ?



Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 25th October 2013
  #2
Gear maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

It's a great synth. Amazing sound. Want one.

One way I measure a synth's quality is to see how 'real' a programmed piano preset sounds. The Nord 4 has a very nice emulation of this. Of course I never buy a synth for making piano sounds, but I believe it's a great measure of its quality. Anyways, extremely envious of you!
Old 26th October 2013
  #3
Gear maniac
 

I've had mine a couple of months (keyboard).I've had many synths over 30 plus years.I've also got a nord wave.I really like the lead 4.Very simple and very tactile like all nords and most of all sounds great.. to my ears.Really like the morph buttons and you don't need a manual.I originally had issues with no patch naming when this was first shown but in use this is not so bad.Not claiming that this is the best synth ever built but for me definitely one of my favorites
Old 26th October 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

I've been very impressed with demos I've heard. I want a Lead 4 rack and Roland Integra 7, but I'm nut sure which to get first. Something's telling me Lead 4 first and let Kontact do Rompler duties till I get funds up for the Integra. Then there's the Prophet 12 rack that was just announced hopefully that's still a-ways out, all this wanting is stressing me out, lol.
Old 26th October 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hi,

I hope I didn't induce a lot of GAS by posting this

I will post some feedback on my experience with the NL4 (desktop), and maybe some audio demos.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 26th October 2013
  #6
Gear maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

I hope I didn't induce a lot of GAS by posting this
You did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
I will post some feedback on my experience with the NL4 (desktop), and maybe some audio demos.
Please do!
Old 26th October 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hi Brento,

Sorry for inducing some serious GAS

I will post some feedback and audio of the NL4 in the near future. Although that's going to produce more GAS

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 26th October 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Old 26th October 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cryophonik's Avatar
 

I had higher hopes for the Prophet 12 module, but after seeing its prototype, the NL4R is looking much more enticing.
Old 26th October 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
I have owned the 1, 2X, G2X, and Electro 2. Nord is a great, wonderfully pricey company. Just bitter for I would take a 4 in a second.
Old 26th October 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
I've been very impressed with demos I've heard. I want a Lead 4 rack and Roland Integra 7, but I'm nut sure which to get first. Something's telling me Lead 4 first and let Kontact do Rompler duties till I get funds up for the Integra. Then there's the Prophet 12 rack that was just announced hopefully that's still a-ways out, all this wanting is stressing me out, lol.
I think you should get neither. Seems to me you're talking about getting the Integra-7, and the NL4 and perhaps the P12 desktop - and you're only asking yourself in what order. If you have money for all those, may i suggest a different alternative?
For the Integra-7 i say "settle" for a beefed up kontakt. I recently upgraded to komplete 9 ultimate. I have also sat for three hours in a store with the Integra-7. While i think it sounded very good, i can say that kontakt does the job. Specially if all you do is for studio work and not live.
If you have money for two or three of these synths (NL4, Integra-7 and P12) i think you should add that money and get the SE Omega-8 instead, for a poly synth.
If it's the digital domain you want - than perhaps it's better for you to go big for something like the Bowen Solaris.
Old 26th October 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I think you should get neither. Seems to me you're talking about getting the Integra-7, and the NL4 and perhaps the P12 desktop - and you're only asking yourself in what order. If you have money for all those, may i suggest a different alternative?
For the Integra-7 i say "settle" for a beefed up kontakt. I recently upgraded to komplete 9 ultimate. I have also sat for three hours in a store with the Integra-7. While i think it sounded very good, i can say that kontakt does the job. Specially if all you do is for studio work and not live.
If you have money for two or three of these synths (NL4, Integra-7 and P12) i think you should add that money and get the SE Omega-8 instead, for a poly synth.
If it's the digital domain you want - than perhaps it's better for you to go big for something like the Bowen Solaris.
The Omega/Code has crossed my mind more than once. Especially if I sell my Voyager RME it's even closer to a reality.
Old 26th October 2013
  #13
Gear addict
 

How're the wavetables and formant capabilities of this synth? Anyone care to post some demos? These were the major new features to the NL series and I haven't seen anyone talking about them or seen many demos that feature them...
Old 26th October 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dionysiananarchy's Avatar
liked the nl4, mess with it every time i go the store,,, a lot,,,

it sounds really good, but i wouldnt buy it.

for a similar, maybe lower than the rack you can get a nord g2, has much more to it,,, seems like they add a few things to the lead, things that have been in the g2 since 10 years ago,,,, effects n stuff,,, not the wavetables.,,, besides, still cant do 6 op fm or use the crazy patch mutator. cant make patches with 8 oscs and 7 filters being modulated by 10 lfos either,,, those are great.
Old 27th October 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

Just ordered a Nord Lead 4 Rack last night. Should pair well with the Voyager.
Old 27th October 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 

Can we get some demos??? This thing has been out for a while, I can only find about 5 demos. It's the same demos I already heard months ago on NL's soundcloud page. They sound good on there, but I wanna hear what the amateurs are doing with it.
Old 28th October 2013
  #17
Gear Maniac
I have one for about 6 or 7 weeks now and i love it. Never before i was programming so many new presets, this interface really makes you more creative or you just need less time to go where you want.

The only thing that i don't like is that you can't use delay and reverb at the same time. But filters, effects and oscilators with wavetables makes it great tool to produce sounds.

I use it along with Virus Ti and these two beasts sound great together
Old 28th October 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
I have one for about 6 or 7 weeks now and i love it. Never before i was programming so many new presets, this interface really makes you more creative or you just need less time to go where you want.

The only thing that i don't like is that you can't use delay and reverb at the same time. But filters, effects and oscilators with wavetables makes it great tool to produce sounds.

I use it along with Virus Ti and these two beasts sound great together
Yes, it would have been cool if you could use both reverb, and delay at the same time. I also think the Reverb is good quality wise, but it could have been much better. imho the Virus Ti has much better Reverb than the NL4.
Old 28th October 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
 

I would love to see how it compares to the P12.
Old 28th October 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

I hope, once I receive it, that it curbs my desire for a P12. If the recently revealed P12 module would've had more knobs it would've been a much tougher decision between it and the Nord 4 rack.
Old 29th October 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
It should or you are just spoiled for it looks like a beast.
Old 29th October 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Synth80s's Avatar
I'd love to hear from any Nord Lead 4 owners who previously owned (or still do) a Nord Lead 2. Of course the 4 can do many things the 2 can't (digital waveforms, effects, etc.) but I'm most curious to hear how the raw VA engine compares, especially in terms of oscillator and filter quality.

I had a Nord Rack 2X for a couple years and it was a workhouse -- easy to program and good for whipping up bread and butter synth parts -- but over time, I recognized that the raw VA sound quality was nothing special. That's not to say it's a bad synth, but it just didn't offer anything special that made me want to hang onto it, so I sold it with no regrets.

How does the Nord Lead 4 sound in comparison?
Old 29th October 2013
  #23
Gear Head
 
monstermusiker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
I've had mine a couple of months (keyboard).I've had many synths over 30 plus years.I've also got a nord wave.I really like the lead 4.Very simple and very tactile like all nords and most of all sounds great.. to my ears.Really like the morph buttons and you don't need a manual.I originally had issues with no patch naming when this was first shown but in use this is not so bad.Not claiming that this is the best synth ever built but for me definitely one of my favorites
How is the overlap in sound between the nl4 and the wave? I have a wave and I`m really interested in the nl4.
Old 29th October 2013
  #24
Gear maniac
 

@muziksculp

Are the oscillators free running like the other Leads or can you re-trigger them?
Old 6th November 2013
  #25
Gear Head
 

So, a week has gone since the last post. Any new Lead owners/opinions? Any audio demos coming our way?
Old 13th November 2013
  #26
Gear maniac
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Nobody?
Old 13th November 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I too would like to know how the Nord Lead 4 compares to the original Nord 1/2 series in terms of sound. Anyone have both?

As an aside, I bought the Nord 3 when it came out thinking that it would be a better Nord Lead - just more of everything. But the Nord 3 is really a completely different synth that sounds very different from the original Nord Lead (not necessarily better or worse - just very different). I'm wondering if it's the same thing with the Nord 4.
Old 23rd February 2015
  #28
Gear interested
 
rainineden's Avatar
 

I love my NL4.

I run a mix of hardware and software since we produce a wide range of music in the home studio and play out in an equally wide mix of genres. Th NL4 is the only board I take every time. Just can do most of what I need and is ultra live friendly.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search