Yamaha AN1X synth layer problem
Old 15th October 2013
  #1
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Yamaha AN1X synth layer problem

I just purchased a AN1X - it is amazing so far, except for one little issue...

When layer is set to "SINGLE" mode, I can play about 9 notes, then the 10th note does nothing - it's just silent. I'm playing them one by one, not all at the same time. I can even play the same key and count, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, --- nothing. Then it starts over again.

I couldn't find enough info in the manual to determine if this is normal or not.

When I set the layer mode to anything else, it works as specified in the manual - normal.

Maybe there is a global setting I am missing? Or maybe I need to factory reset it? or maybe this synth is balls-up?

Help me gearslutz!
Old 15th October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
enossified's Avatar
 

It's not normal.

Other than taking it to be repaired I have no ideas for you.
Old 15th October 2013
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Nijuro's Avatar
I assume it doesn't matter which notes you play, just the 10th never works?

Does it do that with every patch or select patches, even just one patch?
Old 15th October 2013
  #4
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijuro View Post
I assume it doesn't matter which notes you play, just the 10th never works?

Does it do that with every patch or select patches, even just one patch?
Correct, it could be a melody or just the same note, its always the 10th that is silent. Even arpeggiated, I can tell it cuts out the note.

Every patch I tested set to SINGLE layer mode, they all do it. When I change the patch to Unision, or anything other than single mode, it works great.
Old 15th October 2013
  #5
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Would a factory reset help?
Old 22nd October 2013
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Nijuro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
Would a factory reset help?
I suppose it can't hurt to try.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
draven5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
I just purchased a AN1X - it is amazing so far, except for one little issue...

When layer is set to "SINGLE" mode, I can play about 9 notes, then the 10th note does nothing - it's just silent. I'm playing them one by one, not all at the same time. I can even play the same key and count, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, --- nothing. Then it starts over again.

I couldn't find enough info in the manual to determine if this is normal or not.

When I set the layer mode to anything else, it works as specified in the manual - normal.

Maybe there is a global setting I am missing? Or maybe I need to factory reset it? or maybe this synth is balls-up?

Help me gearslutz!
So what's the result? Can you let us know so the thread doesn't die a pointless death and populate the internet as something useless.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
anigbrowl's Avatar
 

Factory reset. AN1x is a DSP-based synth so it's almost certainly a software problem.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #9
Gear interested
 

Hat the same problem with my old an1x, except this happened every 5th note. Nothing helped, not even a factory reset. I finally solved the problem by opening up the machine and checking all cables inside. Nothing was loose but i reconnected everything nonetheless. Afterwards all was fine.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
slaughtrhaus's Avatar
My Juno had the same problem in notes 2 and 6, and it was of course the voice chips...it must be the virtual equivalent.
It's worth fixing, those are fun synths.
Old 26th February 2014
  #11
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Sorry for the long delay in the "solution." There really wasn't one. I ended up returning the synth to the ebay seller. I didn't want to investigate any further in any fixes. I did try factory resetting it and that never helped.

The seller ended up reselling it, saying he brought it to a technician and everything was normal. So who knows, maybe he was lying or I was doing something wrong (I wasn't)

Just read what Randi said. That's odd as hell. haha. Maybe it got bumped in shipping to my house.
Old 26th February 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Maybe it would have been worth testing it via another MIDI keyboard. Probably not scanning the keyboard properly.
Old 26th February 2014
  #13
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Maybe it would have been worth testing it via another MIDI keyboard. Probably not scanning the keyboard properly.
I did have it hooked up to my DAW, and the problem was still happening when sending it notes.
Old 26th February 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore View Post
I did have it hooked up to my DAW, and the problem was still happening when sending it notes.
Very odd. Yamaha stuff is usually well-built and reliable but the AN1X is on the plasticky side.
Old 27th February 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Where's evil dragon when you need him
Old 27th February 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 

I'm here. But not sure how to help with this issue - I have all 10 voices on my AN1x.
Old 27th February 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm here. But not sure how to help with this issue - I have all 10 voices on my AN1x.
You've been raving about it so much I picked one up.
Old 27th February 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 

Good for you!
Old 27th February 2014
  #19
Gear Addict
 
morphtec's Avatar
 

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search