The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Mopho's pulse wave...
Old 30th September 2013
PES
Lives for gear

Old 30th September 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
fixed
Hey Pes,

Can you elaborate? Is this fixed with the Mod?

Any instructions for the Tetra circuit board?

Cheers,

- Justin
Old 30th September 2013
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinValer View Post
Hey Pes,

Can you elaborate? Is this fixed with the Mod?

Any instructions for the Tetra circuit board?

Cheers,

- Justin
Fixed the link I meant. There was an extra www in there.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Maniac

Any response back from support at DSI about this issue? This will put me off on buying any Dave Smith products until I hear what they plan to do about it. I was geared up on getting another Mopho desktop in the near future. I had one last year and sold it.
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
Any response back from support at DSI about this issue? This will put me off on buying any Dave Smith products until I hear what they plan to do about it. I was geared up on getting another Mopho desktop in the near future. I had one last year and sold it.
If you wanted to buy it again, I don't see what this would change, it's the same synth as before.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

Would any Mopho X4 owners be willing to test their pulse waves? I'm still curious if this issue applies.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

The Mopho X4 does the same; Tetra too.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks. Gotta say, that's a huge turnoff.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Head

Well I guess DSI support cant say user error on this hahahahaha..
Old 14th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Anyone did this with Tetra ? Any photos ?
Old 17th November 2014
Gear interested
Thanks

I did the mod as described on the table-top Mopho and it makes the square nicer at the end of the pulse width setting as promised. I still hear a little bit of click on sub-bass but really I can't complain. The Mopho was my perennial least favorite synth because it was so noisey and now it's back in the band. So thanks for saving me from having to keep searching for a portable sub bass box. It might even replace the Bass Station 2 which sounds crazy even as I'm typing it.

Now I'm wondering if a similar trick isn't available for the table-top Evolver, although, to be honest, 'not smooth enough' is not its problem.

https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.ne...f3&oe=54DB43E2
Old 25th January 2016
Here for the gear
I can confirm the mod for the Desktop version. Inspired by Synthbuilders post, I added MIDI over USB and some status LEDs after I had opened my Mopho anyway.

Pictures of the capacitor location as well as detailed instructions for the rest are on my blog: Mopho Morphosis

Thanks for your research, Synthbuilder!!!
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karg View Post
I can confirm the mod for the Desktop version. Inspired by Synthbuilders post, I added MIDI over USB and some status LEDs after I had opened my Mopho anyway.

Pictures of the capacitor location as well as detailed instructions for the rest are on my blog: Mopho Morphosis

Thanks for your research, Synthbuilder!!!
Capacitor Tantalum 10µF 16 Volt CB1C106M2FCB | eBay

Is this what to order? Thanks in advance...

different capacitors show different voltages?
Old 26th January 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
Capacitor Tantalum 10µF 16 Volt CB1C106M2FCB | eBay

Is this what to order? Thanks in advance...

different capacitors show different voltages?
Yes.

FIY, the voltage rating indicates the maximum voltage the capacitor can take. You want to have some safety margin between the max capacitor voltage and what you will actually expose it to. 16V should be fine, however, I went for 35V.

Check if there is an electronic shop somewhere around you. I would be surprised if they charge more than 50p.
Old 26th January 2016
Man I almost pulled the trigger many times on a Mofo but it always sounded harsh to me a little. Perhaps this is why. The desktops are flying off the shelves at $250 now and I am handy with a soldering iron...Perhaps I will get one now. Thanks for the good read sir. You are super good at what you do clearly. Has DSI responded at all yet?
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloturner View Post
Man I almost pulled the trigger many times on a Mofo but it always sounded harsh to me a little. Perhaps this is why. ?
it's always funny to me hearing people call the mopho harsh, as though it's a bad thing. it's what attracted me, and many others, to the synth to begin with!
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.

FIY, the voltage rating indicates the maximum voltage the capacitor can take. You want to have some safety margin between the max capacitor voltage and what you will actually expose it to. 16V should be fine, however, I went for 35V.

Check if there is an electronic shop somewhere around you. I would be surprised if they charge more than 50p.
Many thanks for the reply, I'll look into this further and may try the mod. I am wondering if this is the same with the Prophet 08 too, It's funny because I prefer the sound of the P'08 yet it is meant to be the same engine, i.e. Mopho a single P'08 voice? The P'08 sounds alot smoother to me.

I'm not suprised DS have not answered on this, it would be an admittance of incompetence on their part. Much like the Korg Volca Beats snare and Korg, where they(Korg) deny it being a fault of production. I still love the DSi synths though....
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear
Mopho is a single P08 with sub oscillators and filter feedback.
But the Prophet 08 can do splits/layers which the Mopho can't.

Other than that, they are the same synth.

(also add the Tetra which has the subs and feedback and can do layers... but not splits)
Old 27th January 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
it's always funny to me hearing people call the mopho harsh, as though it's a bad thing. it's what attracted me, and many others, to the synth to begin with!
I would not have called it harsh, more like unclean.
Old 7th June 2016
Here for the gear
I can further confirm the mod for the Tetr4.

Pictures of the capacitor location as well as detailed instructions for the rest are on my blog: Tetr4 Morphosis

And again: thanks for your research, Synthbuilder!!!
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I can further confirm the mod for the Tetr4.

Pictures of the capacitor location as well as detailed instructions for the rest are on my blog: Tetr4 Morphosis

And again: thanks for your research, Synthbuilder!!!

DOes the Prophet 08 have this problem too?
Old 18th June 2016
dio
Gear Addict

Does anyone has some pictures of a modded X4? Damn you DSI!
Old 15th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
extremely interested. Desperate to hear some a/b of basic patches as mentioned earlier.
Here's my a/b
It begins with two presets and then a scan of the Pulse 0-99.
The greatest difference can be heard on the PhasingBass preset and at Pulse 99.

DSI_Mopho_A/B_Tantalum_Mod

Curtis Filterz
A 0:00 B 0:07
PhasingBass
A 0:14 B 0:20
Pulse 0-99
A 0:26 B 0:47
Old 15th September 2016
Here for the gear

DSI Mopho Desktop Mod Attempt

I also want to mention that this is a very frustrating mod. The leads on the capacitor are large compared to the tiny smd resistor. It's taken me 3 tries to finally succeed.

I recommend cutting down and bending the leads like little feet. Then tin the hell out of them so they're globbed with solder (I know I know it's messy and unprofessional but I'm not a tech and I really wanted this mod). I also used 63/37 leaded solder as I couldn't get lead free to stick for the life of me. The rosin core from the lead free kept gunking up the solder points and I didn't want to fry the resistor or pull up the pads. Make sure to have some rubbing alcohol and a stiff tooth brush handy to clean off the rosin.

It's all working now! Can't wait to program this thing without the influence of DC in the filter.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mopho's pulse wave...-img_4871.jpg   The Mopho's pulse wave...-img_4872.jpg   The Mopho's pulse wave...-img_4874.jpg   The Mopho's pulse wave...-img_4875.jpg  
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbuilder View Post
No, this is a fundamental problem caused by a poorly filtered internal voltage reference. It happens whether USB is used or not, whether midi is used or not, or even whether the supplied power pack is used.

Every internal control voltage in the synth is affected by the noise superimposed onto the DAC's reference voltage. Filter cut-off, resonance, output volume via the VCA, everything. The pulse width does show the fault more simply because that particular part of the electronics is more susceptible to this type of noise.

Tony
No wonder people think DSI stuff "has a sound" !

Edit: I wonder if this error has been copy/pasted into all their products?
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prephylve View Post
Here's my a/b

Curtis Filterz
PhasingBass
Pulse 0-99
A hell of a difference! Even on the first one I can hear that strange grinding in the background disappear with the mod.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prephylve View Post
Here's my a/b

Curtis Filterz
PhasingBass
Pulse 0-99
Interesting. I finally got a Tetra so as an experiment, I checked it and I don't have what other people are talking about at all. Definitely not what's so clear on your recording. Maybe my power is nice and clean? I do have everything plugged into a server grade power conditioner/UPS.

I love the sound of this thing. Perhaps it's time to get another? My wife asked me what I wanted for our 10th...
Old 15th September 2016
Here for the gear

Definitely not a mains issue at my place considering that none of my other gear has this issue. I've used the mopho in a lot of different places and it was always present. I actually had no real issue with this aesthetically until I tried using it's filter to process external audio and that's when the digital artifacts started to show. It also doesn't show up on every preset. It's more present on some than others and as a result greatly influences the sound. Maybe try loading the presets I A/B'd and scan your Pulse waves.
Old 15th September 2016
Here for the gear

I'd also like to point out that the external audio through the filter now sounds superb. I don't have an A/B but man this is exactly what I've wanted this to sound like.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Addict

Is there any professional "iron man " solderer offering this mod in the ( preferably) UK or EU ?
I would be interested in a quote .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search