The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 600 users have an upgrade. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Prophet 600 users have an upgrade.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...s-of-features/

and a link to the homepage: P600fw by gligli

*edit* Looks like the synthtopia article isn't 100% accurate. You need a piece of hardware called the Teensy to get it to work apparently.

Quote:
Here’s what the Prophet 600 firmware update offers:

Non-destructive firmware drop-in replacement of the new firmware.
Greater resolution of many of the sound parameters with an improved refresh rate that is making the instrument much more responsive.
Faster, smoother amplifier and filter envelope generators supporting four different modes:
Fast Linear
Slow Linear
Fast Exponential
Slow Exponential
A new LFO function generator with a wider range from one cycle every to about 60Hz with four new waveforms in addition to the original triangle and square including sine, random stepped, noise (like on the original Prophet 5, but non-periodic) and sawtooth (ramp up)
Multiple keyboard modes including:
Poly first note priority
Unison (all voice) Hi-key priority
Unison (all voice) Low-key priority
Solo (one voice) Hi-key priority
Solo (one voice) Low-key priority
Mix Overdrive which now allows the output from both oscillators to drive the mix
Pitch Wheel interval selection of plus/minus one octave, a minor third and a fifth
Pitch Wheel reassignment to the VCF and Volume or off
Modulation wheel intensity setting from Maximum to Medium to Minimum
Full Midi In control including:
Amp and Filter velocity sensitivity with an external keyboard controller
Continuous Controllers (CC) of all sound parameters
Program change (PC) to choose current preset
A new and improved tuning procedure
Chromatic and free Oscillator course pitch control
Plus/Minus setting for Oscillator Fine Tune and Filter Envelope amount for Poly Mod and Filter
Assignable, Random And Up/Down Arpeggiator
Debounce feature that prevents unintended retriggering caused by the old keyboard
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

simply amazing! I will be installing this into my P600 tonight!
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

nice! VST editor to go along with the new CC implementation?
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 View Post
simply amazing! I will be installing this into my P600 tonight!
You need a teensy board to use it.

I've been following this since February, glad it's finished. Will report on this once the stuff arrives!!!!!
Old 13th June 2013
sweet I had a P600 and liked the sound a lot...shame they have gone up in price so much recently...
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
sweet I had a P600 and liked the sound a lot...shame they have gone up in price so much recently...
I see an easy comparison to the Jupiter 8 and 6 pricing ... This synth was great, it just took a bit for people to catch on. Glad I got one in really great condition for 800
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallu View Post
You need a teensy board to use it.

I've been following this since February, glad it's finished. Will report on this once the stuff arrives!!!!!
I already had a Teensy

I just finished the install! simply amazing! the new features are massive! Almost sounds like an OBXA now! anyone want to hear some sound samples??
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
nice! VST editor to go along with the new CC implementation?
The implementation is on PG 18 of this manual:

http://sfx.gligli.free.fr/zik/p600/P...n_beta_1_0.pdf

Looks as tho there is both a fine and coarse CC option...

Someone want to tackle a Midi Designer template? heh

It sounds great!! What a surprise finding this thread it's like I just got a brand new synth!

I wish you could sync the Arp to midi clock or LFO's but hey beggers can't be choosers :D

WOW from just finding out about the upgrade to fully installing and testing it in 2 hours!

I must say: there was some intricate soldering, and the instructions said to simply insert a wire into the IC socket, which was easier said then done unless you double up the wires thickness. Take heed of the warning in the manual about having decent electronics knowledge prior to install.

I attached a pic of the completed upgrade:
Attached Thumbnails
Prophet 600 users have an upgrade.-p600-upgrade.jpg  
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Addict

That can't be a serious question.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
That can't be a serious question.
?
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
?
I think he was referring to if we'd like to hear samples. To which I think the appropriate reply is **** yea
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I think he was referring to if we'd like to hear samples. To which I think the appropriate reply is **** yea
This.^^

The p600 is a favorite synth of mine but I never keep them because of the absolutely garbage envelopes. Sequence some fat basslines, make a demo of it being punchy... I'll be getting another p600 asap if this fixes the envelopes, everything else is just icing on that cake.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
This.^^

The p600 is a favorite synth of mine but I never keep them because of the absolutely garbage envelopes. Sequence some fat basslines, make a demo of it being punchy... I'll be getting another p600 asap if this fixes the envelopes, everything else is just icing on that cake.
It's punchy as HELL! sounds like my minimoog I will make some soundz
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Are there detailed installation instructions available somewhere? This upgrade seems pretty damn awesome. If you can make some demos, Tyler, I'd be grateful.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Carey M, check out the pdf tyler posted. There's also minisystems blog, which has links to everything.

Just got my Teensy yesterday. When I first saw it, I thought "that is teensy". Yeah, the soldering looks fun.

Been watching minisystems blog since Dec as I have two 600s. Couldn't believe it when he said Fabrice said the firmware was free.

There's no chord memory(just unison/mono) yet but he said it will probably be added sometime soon.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

OK! here's a demo I made JUST FOR YOU GUYS! it's just straight p600 and 606 recorded live.

I tried to show off the fast LFO's and envelopes.

Now somebody make an editor for it I'm tired.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Was perusing the Upgrade site and it is rumored MIDI clock sync to LFO and arpeggiator/sequencer is in the works! ALL HAIL THE GLIGLI 600!
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Well, the Spirit was minisystems work-in-progress but was abandoned once he found Fabrices work. Just picking nits. It would be cool to have sync but I do feel a bit greedy even thinking it considering all the improvements already there.

Thanks for the demo.

Now, if I can just find why one oscillator won't track on one of mine(I need just a little more trimmer)...and that's the "not so broken" one. Ah, SCI quality.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
Now, if I can just find why one oscillator won't track on one of mine(I need just a little more trimmer)...and that's the "not so broken" one. Ah, SCI quality.
I have a parts p600 board if you need something PM me. You have a TVS also? ( notice your avatar
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a parts p600 board if you need something PM me.
Thanks, man. Gotta get through the hard part - finding the fault. My other one - now, that one's got some S/H type modulation going over all voices. I hadn't been motivated to fix it but now...oh, to have two Teensy'd 600s.

Quote:
You have a TVS also? ( notice your avatar
And a pair of patch-panels, too. I call it my Faux-Voice.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Ordered my teensy++ yesterday. Can't wait.

Doesn't look like anyone's posted it here yet, so here's the actual github page where you'll find info and everything required to make it happen.

https://github.com/gligli/p600fw
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Just had a couple of q's.

1. What's a teensy? lol is it some kind of probe board or EPROM?
2. Is this a z80 cpu replacement or does it just rewrite to firmware on the original chip, if the second option is true, why the hell couldn't the designers get decent envelope response in the first place? lol
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

It's "a complete USB-based microcontoller development system". A microprocessor on a little board that, as far as the Prophet 600 is concerned, completely replaces the z80. You need to flash new P600 firmware onto the teensy++, then you swap it with the z80.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Going to hold off on doing the update until chord memory is back and LFO sync is added. I love chord memory too much to lose it :(
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Also, here is the main page for the upgrade:

PROPHET 600 SPIRIT

look at the graphs!

It really is like an entirely new synth.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Just had a couple of q's.

if the second option is true, why the hell couldn't the designers get decent envelope response in the first place? lol
the envelopes on the original were horrible, I think due to the processor ( same as on the Emu II, sluggish)

Now all controls are snappy and a joy, you can switch between 3 LFO speeds and 4 EG modes and all the knobs respond instantly ( unlike the slow and annoying original synth)

Not to mention how STEPPY the original sounded, I honestly was considering getting rid of mine but now I will never part with it.
Old 13th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallu View Post
Going to hold off on doing the update until chord memory is back and LFO sync is added. I love chord memory too much to lose it :(
yea I loved the chord memory also...kind of wish I didnt sell my P600 now...but I traded to an OB8...but I have to say I loved the sequential sound...so raw...

Heres another example of the upgrade:

and a nice P600 demo for those who want to GAS along with me about the P600

Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear
I'm so stoked to see these projects. I don't have a Prophet 600 but I have two other vintage synths that have been upgraded (JP6 & Juno 60).

Kudos to those who are bringing these excellent sounding instruments into the modern age. Thanks!
Old 14th June 2013
Here for the gear
Glad to see so much excitement about Fabrice's P600fw upgrade. Despite having lived and breathed Prophet 600 firmware and hardware for nearly 6 months, I've only thus far tested Fabrice's alpha release back in February. From reports here, the beta release sounds quit amazing.

A couple of things to mention: yes, the Teensy++ modification is a little fiddly and if you don't have much soldering experience it could be a daunting installation. There isn't much risk to your Prophet as you're just swapping out the CPU, but even I didn't get it to work the first try.

It should be fairly trivial to design an adapter PCB to make the P600fw Teensy upgrade more plug-and-play compatible (ie. no modification of the Teensy++, but it would still require having the firmware loaded on to it for the first time). I've toyed with the idea. If no one else is doing it and there's enough interested I might give it a go (and make it open hardware, of course).

Fabrice's firmware is OPEN SOURCE. If you are so inclined, you can download and modify the source. Want MIDI sync'd seq/arp/lfos? Hopefully Fabrice will give them to us, but even if he doesn't somebody will eventually. Fabrice has open sourced the entire firmware architecture of an early 80s polysynth. The hardware architectures of the early 80s analogue polys have a lot in common. I predict that this project will become a great learning resource for people wanting to try similar things with other polysynths (although the list of synths needing upgrades grows shorter every year) and even for the ambitious among us that might want to have a go at a completely DIY polysynth!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search