The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
You have $500 to burn. Which one, Arturia Minibrute or Novation Bass Station II ? Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: Arturia Minibrute or Novation Bass Station II
Arturia Minibrute
106 Votes - 39.70%
Novation Bass Station II
161 Votes - 60.30%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

You have $500 to burn. Which one, Arturia Minibrute or Novation Bass Station II ?

VS.

if you had to choose one or the other, which one would get your money and why?

this thread was inevitable, sorry
Old 8th April 2013
messiaen
ooohh. too tough.....would need to play both in store at same time...then I could tell you...very tempted by bass station though....
Old 8th April 2013
i think i gotta stick with the MiniBrute. tap tempo arpeggio is a pretty sweet feature & beats patch save in my book. it's a great time to be a synth geek.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Have I already bought the MS20 mini in this scenario?
Or the MFB Dominion 1?

Going to be a hard year for the vallet ... and whos going to say Poly first?

Id go Brute for the CV.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Too bad we will abbreviate the Bass Station II to BSII. Seems like unfair initials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Id go Brute for the CV.

I'd choose the BSII for everything else.

We'll have to hear it first though.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear addict

That's going to come down to personal preference. I would pick the Bass Station since it has patch memories and I imagine a smoother sound. Some are going to want the total opposite and will go for the Minibrute. Most are going to get both
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

i will admit, i'm biased as an owner of the minibrute.

for tweaking and fun, i love the minibrute. but it DOES have its limitations, which make it more of a "play and record and multitrack" tool than a live one, imho. as for the cv, i don't have a midi-cv converter, so minibrute is the only way i'm capable of doing this.

i really can't wait to hear some pure, isolated demos of the BSII. i recently posted a thread about mopho bass for live usage, but now that this is out...i'll have to rethink it!

i also have an ms-20 mini on the way but that is also more for fun than quick changes / flexibility

so much great stuff coming out!!!
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Wow holy sh!t the BSII looks amazing! I'm a minibrute owner as well, and I love it, but we're talking about wayyy more synth for the money. 2 osc + sub osc, 2 Lfo's (This is big), and patch memory... that is awesome! Novation have really outdone themselves here. Obviously it is all going to come down to how it sounds, as the minibrute has a really wicked awesome tone, we'll have to see how the BSII matches up. If I couldn't hear either of them before buying, the BSII is obviously the more feature-laden synth for the money. Also, the BSII looks better IMO.

Only thing I don't care for on the BSII is having only one set of envelope faders... that can spell trouble when you need to seamlessly switch between amp / filter / mod without screwing up the settings of one or the other.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Chop that silly 2 octave keyboard off the Bass Station II, and make it a desktop module and i would buy it. Novation take note.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Chop that silly 2 octave keyboard off the Bass Station II, and make it a desktop module and i would buy it. Novation take note.
can't agree enough with that
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

I haven't had any hands on time with either one but based off specs/features I would choose BSII.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Yeah i got the email just then and as a Novation Bass Station (original) owner I have to go Novation Bass Station 2. Cos if its like the original it is gonna be mad low bass. I think it goes down to 5Hz if i remember correctly . I have no love for aturia sorry, just seems like a windows softsynth in a box.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

you know the original baass station has patch memory right? it has only 7 plus manual like but you can save sounds, so not a great leap forward, just more patches. the extra sub osc is good addition IMHO
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
Only thing I don't care for on the BSII is having only one set of envelope faders... that can spell trouble when you need to seamlessly switch between amp / filter / mod without screwing up the settings of one or the other.
They mention that the audio path is 100% analog, but that still means that the LFOs and envelopes could be digitally controlled or even generated. If that's so, then it's certainly possible for them to implement some kind of "catch mode" for the envelope section so that when toggle between amp/filter/mod, it won't jump values till you move the fader for each specific parameter.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
They mention that the audio path is 100% analog, but that still means that the LFOs and envelopes could be digitally controlled or even generated. If that's so, then it's certainly possible for them to implement some kind of "catch mode" for the envelope section so that when toggle between amp/filter/mod, it won't jump values till you move the fader for each specific parameter.
Yeah I'm hoping it will work that way, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I just want to hear the damn thing!
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
Yeah I'm hoping it will work that way, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I just want to hear the damn thing!
Its gonna be big and PHAT, no doubt. I mean they would compare and not release it if it sounds weaker that the original I reckon. But I to can not wait to hear it and compare to original. The original filter cutoff is a bit steppy sometimes though so hopefully they sorted that right out.
Old 8th April 2013
BSII <Pretend it is blue

First, I liked my Xio, but the build was crap & the lack of midi in (& thus the inability to sync it w/ anything) drove me nuts. Hence, sold.

Second, I've missed out twice on original BS racks recently, & damn it, I'm going to get a BS one way or another.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear maniac

I already have a minibrute but man is that novation ever cool. I'd love to have both.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

pulse 2!
Old 16th April 2013
Gear interested

I have a minibrute.... i LOVE it.... keeping the osc sliders around 1/4 and the PW and metalizer down, brute factor off and it is a gentle flowing entity. Move those things around and it is a beast. I have it running cv into my monotribe, I have my tetra coming in for extra oscillators, the thing is great. I have an ms20 mini coming that i couldnt resist since i got a 25% off coupon, and ive always wanted one...... and this BSII took me by complete surprise. i know for a fact im buying the korg volca boxes, but god damn do i want a BSII, and god damn do i NOT need another monosynth........ im at a total loss..... If it sounds as good as ive built it up in my head to be, ill prob get it in aug- sept
Old 16th April 2013
depends on the rest of your kit and way of working
the minibrute has CV
the basssstation 2 has midi and patch memory
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear
I probably wouldn't buy either one because I haven't extracted the last drops of blood from everything I have, but if I was given one for free I'd probably pick the BassStation!

(I'm poor)
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Guru
It's a matter of taste.. not much overlap.

I personally would go for the BSII
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

from the specs alone, i'd go with the bass station. having heard some of the most horrendous sounds ever from any synth come out of it at messe, i wouldn't touch it.. at least til i hear something that demonstrates it can actually sound good. cause so far, it doesnt. the minibrute is an incredible synth all around.
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

I'm wondering if the voting trend will change now that people have heard the BS2 lol.
Old 16th April 2013
The Novation. If I'm gonna waste space on a two octave keyboard, I would prefer the one with two oscillators and a presumably more versatile filter. Though in that price range i will save space and take a DSI Evolver any day. Who needs a two octave keyboard?!
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
from the specs alone, i'd go with the bass station. having heard some of the most horrendous sounds ever from any synth come out of it at messe, i wouldn't touch it.. at least til i hear something that demonstrates it can actually sound good. cause so far, it doesnt. the minibrute is an incredible synth all around.
Really? tell us more
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

It sounds alright to me.
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

Not enough BassStation II sounds to compare it to. Just love my Brute to death. Been playing it constantly since the acquisition of the RE 201.
Who knows the BassStation very well could be a better synth (does have two oscillators), but just don't have enough info yet.
I would have waited till the thing was available to post this thread.
MinitBrute is my vote. For now anyway.
But that Novation sure looks badas$$!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search