The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oberheim Matrix 1000 firmware hacks Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

I have a black face and a white face chained and they both sound identical to me when playing. If there's a difference in any way between them, I can't hear it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa Travellers View Post
Hi guys, do you know if the latest firmware alters the compatibility of the OB-6000 editor with the Matrix-1000 in some way?
The OB-6000 editor (or any other Matrix editor) should work just as before with the latest 1.1.3 firmware.

The problem is that the Editor will still use the workarounds (dumping whole patches to alter some parameters) for the firmware bugs so you won't notice any improvement unless you use an editor without workarounds or where the workarounds can be switched off (efflux mentioned one earlier in this thread, can't remember which one it was).

So definitely do the update, you have nothing to lose.
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I have a black face and a white face chained and they both sound identical to me when playing. If there's a difference in any way between them, I can't hear it.
The alledged difference is supposed to be with with some ROM patches, not the overal sound of the M1000.

But at this point I'm 99.9% sure it was just a false rumor, there are no different ROM patches.
Old 11th May 2014
Gear Maniac
Thanks for the info.
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Maniac
Hello guys, FYI, I got a reply from the OB-6000 developer, Thomas, regarding the editor functioning with the latest firmware:

Quote:
Hello,

I have Programmed OB6000 with the White version of the Matrix 1000, I think this is the latest Version of the Firmware so OB6000 should Run with it without problems.

Best regards
Thomas
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa Travellers View Post
I have Programmed OB6000 with the White version of the Matrix 1000, I think this is the latest Version of the Firmware so OB6000 should Run with it without problems.
He seems to be refering to the lastest offical firmware (1.1.1, which AFAIK is the same on the white and the black faced models anyway), not to the 1.1.3 firmware which is unofficial and was a result of reverse engineering and bug fixing work by a German guy (see page one of this thread).

Maybe point him to this thread and explicitly mention the unofficial 1.1.3 firmware which he probably isn't aware of.
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Maniac
Will do.
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Addict

Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux View Post
Mine is like the first.
Mine is like the one in your second link. I never noticed there are two variants of the logo with inverted colours!
Old 17th July 2014
Gear interested

I posted before and never got a reply so I'll give it another shot...I would like to upgrade the firmware on my matrix 1000 but do not own an EPROM programmer so I'm hoping someone can help me update this awesome synth. Any takers? Id appreciate any help I could get
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_dntfs View Post
I posted before and never got a reply so I'll give it another shot...I would like to upgrade the firmware on my matrix 1000 but do not own an EPROM programmer so I'm hoping someone can help me update this awesome synth. Any takers? Id appreciate any help I could get
You might more likely get a response if you say where in the world you are...
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Addict

I've been in touch with Murray from Kiwitech a few times this year and although work hasn't started yet I understand that he does have plans for a new CPU and/or firmware for the Matrix1000. Considering the wonderful work he has done on new CPU boards for the PolySix and the Juno106 I am waiting for that.

I love how, over the last year or so, many great analogs from the 80's are being ressurected and vastly improved with new firmware and CPUs: P600, JX10/MKS70, Juno106, PolySix. Combined with all the new stuff coming out these days we are truly in the golden age of synths.
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Maniac
Hello,

I will soon have a m1000 to tinker with.

Although I don't plan to do a full firmware rewrite like I did with the Prophet 600, I will try to replace the CPU with a faster and compatible one, and then hack the firmware to get the timing right.

Possible benefits would be faster MIDI processing, faster overall synth and maybe (if possible) snappier envelopes.

Anyway, If I make any progress, I'll keep you informed.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gligli View Post
Hello,

Although I don't plan to do a full firmware rewrite like I did with the Prophet 600, I will try to replace the CPU with a faster and compatible one, and then hack the firmware to get the timing right.

Possible benefits would be faster MIDI processing, faster overall synth and maybe (if possible) snappier envelopes.

That would be great. Feature-wise the the MIDI is pretty good already. Maybe some people would want CCs for everything.
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hello,

Wow, you got my attention there!
I rarely use my M1000 because it responds so badly to midi. The first person to develop something to overcome this and make it respond snappy to midi gets my money
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthdood View Post
I rarely use my M1000 because it responds so badly to midi.
Huh? My Matrix responds to midi just fine...

Are you maybe trying to do realtime tweaking with sysex? Don't do that, CC is for that purpose!
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Huh? My Matrix responds to midi just fine...

Are you maybe trying to do realtime tweaking with sysex? Don't do that, CC is for that purpose!
That's exactly what I mean. Playing notes is not a problem. Editing is. Throw some sysex at it and it chokes. All I want is for it to respond normally to editors. I know I can assign stuff and then control it through CC and that's fine if you just want control one or two parameters but not for hands-on editing.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah it does choke to sysex, but it's not that bad. Just some random hickups now and then. Not a deal breaker for me.

It would be sweet to have more CC slots to controller matrix, though. Four realtime controllers per patch is not always enough.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Maniac
Hi, I made some progress regarding my attempt to replace the CPU.

So, I desoldered the old 6809, soldered a 40pin socket in its place, I also added a socket for the 8Mhz crystal.

The CPU I now use is a HD63C09P, it is compatible with the 6809, but can run at higher clock speed.
I clocked it with a 16Mhz crystal, so twice the original speed.
I had to add a CD4040 on top of the CPU and solder a few wires to divide that clock by 2 for the peripherals (MIDI UART, DCO Timers).

Here's a pic of the mod: http://sfx.gligli.free.fr/zik/m1k/m1k_new_cpu.jpg

And... it works
I'm still running vanilla 111 firmware (I didn't receive my eeproms yet) so everything is now twice faster: buttons repeat speed, MIDI processing, envelopes, LFOs, glide, ...

So, now the next step is to hack the firmware to get at least all sound-related stuff back to its original speed, but with twice the resolution!
For this I'll have to understand how the code works, hopefully I can get some help from the author of v113, it could speed things up.

Edit: here's the wiring diagram: http://sfx.gligli.free.fr/zik/m1k/m1k-wiring.pdf

Last edited by gligli; 2nd August 2014 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: adding diagram
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Respect!
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, I made some progress regarding my attempt to replace the CPU.
Wow, this would be great if you could do this for the Matrix 6(R) too.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
Yes, this.

Either way...good work, again, gligli!
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

Yes please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

I see a couple of M1000s in my future...

gligli, a question: is there any way you could figure out how to make the 800 ROM preset patches overwriteable? I assume it would need a memory chip replacement, along with some OS tweaks. I cannot emphasize how utterly awesome M1000 would become with 1000 fully writeable patch locations!! Also, would it be possible to use a 32 MHz crystal to get 4 times the resolution (if and after you manage to hack the OS to bring the speed of everything down)?
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Maniac
EvilDragon>
About overwriting rom presets, it would require some important changes, both for the hardware and the software, I'm not sure it's worth it.
About speed, unfortunately even the new CPU can't handle that speed, with a 16Mhz crystal it's already slightly overclocked, it's fine really but higher clock rates won't be possible.

About the M6/M6R, they could be upgraded/hacked the same way, but I don't plan to buy those.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

Awesome gligli !!!
Thanks for giving it a serious shot!
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
EvilDragon>
About overwriting rom presets, it would require some important changes, both for the hardware and the software, I'm not sure it's worth it.
Thanks for the info. It would be awesome if you could give it a shot, if at all possible... I cannot even begin to express how many smiles that would bring to my face. Definitely willing to pay for this. Anybody else with me?

Quote:
About speed, unfortunately even the new CPU can't handle that speed, with a 16Mhz crystal it's already slightly overclocked, it's fine really but higher clock rates won't be possible.
Understood. Twice the resolution should be quite excellent anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that basically mean that LFOs would be calculated twice faster, which would result in a less "steppy" waveform?
Old 1st August 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

I have a white face M1000, and sure am interested if there are some affordable mods for it. I typically use it only as a preset machine and add some fx and filtering afterwards. Is there a way to control the filter cutoff for example using midi cc? Somebody mentioned 4 midi cc's, which midi cc numbers are these?

I did some preventative maintenance for my M1000 2 years ago. I replaced all electrolytics on the boards with Panasonic FM/FC caps. I also replaced the original battery with a battery holder and a new battery.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
So, now the next step is to hack the firmware to get at least all sound-related stuff back to its original speed, but with twice the resolution!
For this I'll have to understand how the code works, hopefully I can get some help from the author of v113, it could speed things up.
I am intrigued to know, right off the bat, did the "choking" go away, or is that unaffected?

I believe that the midi implementation itself may force the synth to hang if it receives sysex messages faster than 20msec apart, but I am not entirely sure.

I'll be building a maxforlive device this weekend to see if I "slow" the sysex to have a 20msec gap in between messages if it indeed stops the hanging or choking.

If my initial impressions are correct, then the cpu upgrade is only part of the puzzle, and an OS revamp is the other major undertaking
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Is there a way to control the filter cutoff for example using midi cc? Somebody mentioned 4 midi cc's, which midi cc numbers are these?
I guess that was me.

The CC numbers are:
01 - Mod wheel / Lever 2
02 - Breath Control / Lever 3
04 - Foot Pedal / Pedal 1
64 - Sustain / Pedal 2

These controllers are modulation matrix sources, so if you want to use these to adjust filter cutoff, you must edit the patch to do so.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search