Minitaur Editor
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Minitaur Editor

Any of you guys running Minitaur Editor on Windows XP?

I am and it does not work at all... when I open the exe it gives me an error and it shuts down.
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

??
Old 17th December 2014
Gear addict

having the same issue and still no solution.
I've updated the firmware to 2.1 and editor to 3.4, also configured Ableton Live but I'm still getting the DISCONNECTED error, it's a shame that we are still talking about this issue
Old 17th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
having the same issue and still no solution.
I've updated the firmware to 2.1 and editor to 3.4, also configured Ableton Live but I'm still getting the DISCONNECTED error, it's a shame that we are still talking about this issue
This is not the same issue as the one mentioned in the first post, actually...
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

People should just update, it's not fair to expect devs to always give full support for ancient OSs when new ones are constantly coming out, it's too much work.
Old 17th December 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
People should just update, it's not fair to expect devs to always give full support for ancient OSs when new ones are constantly coming out, it's too much work.
I wouldn't call a perfectly fine OS, that Microsoft only this year stopped supporting 'ancient'. For music production it still works great. And luckily enough there are plenty of firms that still support XP, U-HE for instance.

I have no problems with the Minitaur editor on Windows XP. But I use it standalone, not as a plugin within Cubase.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
I wouldn't call a perfectly fine OS, that Microsoft only this year stopped supporting 'ancient'. For music production it still works great. And luckily enough there are plenty of firms that still support XP, U-HE for instance.

I have no problems with the Minitaur editor on Windows XP. But I use it standalone, not as a plugin within Cubase.
lol it came out in 2001! It is quite literally STONE AGE

The only reason why Microsoft kept on supporting it for so long is because of large companies avoiding the expensive of updating their old systems.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Supporting windows is easier than OSX, its uncommon when stuff really break between versions.

XP is a good system but yes it's way too old and MS and developers have supported it for very very long, and since it also doesnt have security updates I would say it's a must to update to at least win7, which IMHO is better, very stable, very resource savy (on modern computer) and quite compatible.
Old 17th December 2014
Gear addict

I don't see why it's a must. At least not for a DAW that's not connected to the internet.

Bought a new computer last year and tried Windows 7. But it wasn't compatible with a lot of my software and hardware. And I don't like the look & feel of Win 7 (I know you can change it).

Yeah, we live in a consumer society and we all need the newest iPhone, because it's 1 mm thinner. But newer isn't necessarily always better. I'll keep using XP. Works like a charm.

And it looks like I'm not the only one.
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't see why it's a must. At least not for a DAW that's not connected to the internet.

Bought a new computer last year and tried Windows 7. But it wasn't compatible with a lot of my software and hardware. And I don't like the look & feel of Win 7 (I know you can change it).

Yeah, we live in a consumer society and we all need the newest iPhone, because it's 1 mm thinner. But newer isn't necessarily always better. I'll keep using XP. Works like a charm.

And it looks like I'm not the only one.
Oh Absolutely, I run Snow Leopard which is fairly old now '10, there's nothing wrong with using an old OS, if it works and you like it stick with it. However, don't expect new things to work and be supported properly, you can't have both worlds.
Old 18th December 2014
Gear addict

duplicated
Old 18th December 2014
Gear addict

Well, results that now it's my fault ??? ahahaha

I don't think Windows 7 64bits with 32GB RAM, Solid state drive, i7 4 core CPU water cooled and the highest mobo model from Asus it's precisely something old.

And talking only about Windows 7, the minitaur editor offers clearly support for it,
so if I buy it, I expect exactly that.
Old 18th December 2014
I am using it in Windows 7 and I don't have that problem.

I am able to help finding out when the problem arises. Usually I use it standalone, and I have Renoise, Maschine, Live 8 and Bidule to make tests. Which DAW are you using and what is your workflow?
Old 18th December 2014
this is hilarious, why on earth do you guys need an editor for the minitaur it's such a basic synth...??

is it in a rack away from your hands or something, and you talk to it via midi..??
Old 18th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this is hilarious, why on earth do you guys need an editor for the minitaur it's such a basic synth...??

is it in a rack away from your hands or something, and you talk to it via midi..??
Frankly, I use the editor mainly for testing, since it seems to be very important for many users, and my business, Audiotecna, is dealer for Colombia.

Personally, I try to map the extra parameters from the controller I am using, and I never use presets, nor the editor
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

It has some parameter only accesible via the editor.

For me is very stable on stand alone mode, it gets disconnected after a while using the vst editor.
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah more options via editor, presets, and yes some people have it racked.
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

yeah, i usually just start from scratch with a patch on it myself, but as others mentioned, there are some people who have it racked, on the other side of the room, there is some functionality that can only be addressed via the software, and also the ability to save presets etc...
Old 9th January 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichuelo View Post
I am using it in Windows 7 and I don't have that problem.

I am able to help finding out when the problem arises. Usually I use it standalone, and I have Renoise, Maschine, Live 8 and Bidule to make tests. Which DAW are you using and what is your workflow?
Thanks for chime in,
I would like to have it working also, I bought it because I thought it would work as stated, the only way that I found to make it work properly is using a MIDI cable and the "External instrument" plugin from Ableton Live 9, then the editor 3.0.4 effect version, of that way I can access to the presets and the editor but of course I can't automate the parameters with the knobs and controls of the Minitaur front-panel, that is my priority, I don't want to automate the CC codes in the MIDI clips manually or with a mapped controller,
FOR THAT REASON I BOUGHT AN ANALOG SYNTH WITH KNOBS AND 2-CHANNELS MIDI!!!

Quote:

You've asked and you've answered yourself. I use it via MIDI because to compose I like to arrange in MIDI for possible modifications and also I like to automate the parameters with the physical knobs. (Also, you have parameters that are only accesible from the extended editor.)
Old 10th January 2015
Gear addict

Amos from Moog, told me that they are working on a new plugin for windows that works properly and will be done in around 2 or 3 months.
Old 10th January 2015
Windows XP is 14 years old now. You really expect developers to keep supporting that shit?
Old 11th January 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Windows XP is 14 years old now. You really expect developers to keep supporting that shit?
I don't know if you are talking to me, but I use Windows 7 64bits and doesn't work neither, sweet friend.
It's ridiculous trying to defend the indefensible, the thing just doesn't work properly and you can find tons of users with issues, period.

FYI: When the Moog Minitaur was released (March 2012) the Windows 8 didn't even was announced (July 2012) released (October 2012). cheers

Last edited by papawise; 11th January 2015 at 07:08 PM..
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
I don't know if you are talking to me, but I use Windows 7 64bits and doesn't work neither, sweet friend.
It's ridiculous trying to defend the indefensible, the thing just doesn't work properly and you can find tons of users with issues, period.

FYI: When the Moog Minitaur was released (March 2012) the Windows 8 didn't even was announced (July 2012) released (October 2012). cheers
I'm not a windows guy, and not stirring the pot, but even though the Minitaur was released in March 2012, the editor in it current capability wasn't announced (V2 they called it) until like a year and a half ago...
It was more of a. an aftermarket bonus for us early buyers of the unit and b. something to jumpstart sales for new users.... so I'm sure they weren't thinking of going back to support every os that will still poking around since it's inception..

I know there are some issues with it, and I use it (but on OSX), and I also know that they don't have the largest staff working on it. I think Amos over there works pretty hard, and on their forum sites is fairly responsive to users needs... But I'm sure they don't really have resources to make it work with Mac os9 or something, which is fair.... But again, I don't know the timeline on pc os's, so not sure if V2 was announced they were claiming it would work with XP or whatnot....
Old 16th January 2015
Gear addict

I repeat. I'm not talking about XP, I'm talking about Windows 7 service-packed 64bits, which was completly contemporary at the time/range that the editor plugin was announced.

Anyways, this discussion is kind of ridiculous, when you buy something, you expect that works!, and this plugin editor doesn't work properly, so simple as that. period.
Since when you have to upgrade your OS the same month that was released?otherwise your plugins would stop working and even if that would be the unlikely and extreme case, you should be able to get a proper update in such a long period.

I was in conversation with Amos, and he is a nice guy, but seeing that many are defending the indefendible annoys me a bit and makes me say the things like they are.

Maybe they are a small team with too much work, ok, but,
No resources? com' on!! I see a Moog product in every f*ckin' studio man, I don't want to be rude, but don't tell me bullshit. There are tons! of companies developing software with the help of third party programmers and this is not a new problem, so, no justification.

I bought the Minitaur specifically for improving my workflow with automation and for the great sound, but now I find myself with a product doing the half of what they originally told me that does, and with a problem that displays records of being known many months ago.
And lastly, I thought in selling it, since I already have a Voyaguer, but I live in a country where it's really difficult to sell this kind of stuff.

Following some of the previous statements, all the plugins that were made more than 2 years ago should have issues and strange behaviors, and of course it doesn't work like that.

I hope to get a Minitaur plugin that works properly very soon, and I believe too many more users too.

regards.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

no worries, I hear you, as I said, not sure of windows time line and releases and what Moog promised…. I can read and feel your anger friend… especially if you bought it with a full expectation of the plugin working in conjunction with your system, which apparently they DID promise… so you are justified in being pissed..! all good, I hope they figure it out for you soon!
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

I suspect the problem is the USB driver on windows and the use of it by two programs at the same time (the minitaur editor and the DAW). Programming drivers is hard so I suspect it is whats holding back from being a working product.

A big error was also not to include MIDI out, it would have solved this problem a long time ago.
Old 16th January 2015
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I suspect the problem is the USB driver on windows and the use of it by two programs at the same time (the minitaur editor and the DAW). Programming drivers is hard so I suspect it is whats holding back from being a working product.

A big error was also not to include MIDI out, it would have solved this problem a long time ago.
I use tons of VST editors for my hardware synths, and you are right. In Cubase, the midi port that the synth is on MUST be disabled in device manager (then restart cubase!) and then MIDI channel is set in the plugin itself. they all work like a charm for me, including the sub phatty editor.

Also, i have a litle trick. If you want to use the editor and have the midi and audio on one track like a VSTi, start a new instrument track select the editor as the VSTi. Now, create an external FX with only the return as the synth inputs (no send). Insert that in the first spot of insert FX on that channel. now you have an integrated audio and midi track instead of 2 separate tracks. In fact, there are many tricks you can do with cubase using this method of passing audio. its the best way to pass around inputs if you need to switch them fast

Last edited by mike vee; 16th January 2015 at 08:44 PM..
Old 17th January 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
i suspect the problem is the usb driver on windows and the use of it by two programs at the same time (the minitaur editor and the daw). Programming drivers is hard so i suspect it is whats holding back from being a working product.

A big error was also not to include midi out, it would have solved this problem a long time ago.
this
+1
Old 17th January 2015
Gear nut

I'm on Win7 64bit, didn't install the Moog driver, using Reaper, and can replicate the editor issue. Standalone mode works fine.

Thankfully the Minitaur works just fine as a generic MIDI device that you can send notes and CCs to and from. You can use your DAW to detune the oscillators and everything, you just don't get the pretty GUI.
Old 25th January 2015
Gear addict

Well, for me the presets and the physical knobs were the reasons why I bought it, so if I can't access to them, it's doing the half (or less) of what MOOG said that the product does.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search