Do you create your own sounds or just use presets?
Old 14th November 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Do you create your own sounds or just use presets?

Neither is right or wrong.
However after watching my friend yesterday in the studio and under pressure to try and finish a track he literally started flicking through presets......I had to make an excuse and say I was leaving, my head started to hurt watching him flick through presets.

So is this normal for the guys under pressure or just an excuse?

I don't have this problem, so I spend days creating my own own sounds. In fact it is the very first first step in creating a track.
I have no issue with producers using presets and if this it what does it for you that is fine, however I do find that nothing is better then making your own sounds or sound designing.
I find everything in the track makes more sense to me, it all seems to gel more nicely.
I have used presets in the past, but never really felt all that great about it to be honest. So my goal was always to perfect my synth chops.
Anyway do you prefer to make your own sounds, or are you a preset user?
Old 14th November 2012
  #2
Banned
 

it´s just weak ti resort to presets.. is it wrong to be weak ?
Old 14th November 2012
  #3
Gear Head
 
Steviedeez's Avatar
 

A mix of both, although I will just use the preset as a starting point to build on and when in done with it it sounds nothing like the preset I started with. I'd never use it the way it is.

But I think it's better to use a synth preset then a pre recorded melody loop from a sample pack. It's kind of sad when you see the top downloaded packs on sounds to sample are melody loop pack or midi drag and drop melodies. Why aren't these people writing their own stuff?
Old 14th November 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
it´s just weak ti resort to presets.. is it wrong to be weak ?
Weak Ill let my friend know he is weak lol.
Not sure how well a 6'9 giant is going to deal with being called weak but ill let him know.
Old 14th November 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviedeez View Post
A mix of both, although I will just use the preset as a starting point to build on and when in done with it it sounds nothing like the preset I started with. I'd never use it the way it is.

But I think it's better to use a synth preset then a pre recorded melody loop from a sample pack. It's kind of sad when you see the top downloaded packs on sounds to sample are melody loop pack or midi drag and drop melodies. Why aren't these people writing their own stuff?
It is scary to see the market flooded with these packs and preset packs.......makes me wonder really....
Sorry I dont see how dragging in midi files is being creative to me....no no no
Old 14th November 2012
  #6
Gear Head
 
Steviedeez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
It is scary to see the market flooded with these packs and preset packs.......makes me wonder really....
Sorry I dont see how dragging in midi files is being creative to me....no no no
Exactly! Even worse when they those in a drum loop and call it a day.
Old 14th November 2012
  #7
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Weak Ill let my friend know he is weak lol.
Not sure how well a 6'9 giant is going to deal with being called weak but ill let him know.
its just a fact that he is a weak performer in the studio..otherwise he would´nt need to resort to presets.
Old 14th November 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviedeez View Post
Exactly! Even worse when they those in a drum loop and call it a day.
So is this being under pressure or just an excuse?
Yeah I mean if this it what making music is about I see no point actually in trying.
Old 14th November 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
MrTechno's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
its just a fact that he is a weak performer in the studio..otherwise he would´nt need to resort to presets.
Fair enough.
You are most likely right.
Old 14th November 2012
  #10
Gear interested
 

I create my presets. The best of both worlds.
Old 14th November 2012
  #11
Gear Head
 
Steviedeez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
So is this being under pressure or just an excuse?
Yeah I mean if this it what making music is about I see no point actually in trying.
I dunno man. I think a lot of them are new "producers" who want to have pro sounding songs by dragging and dropping pre made stuff.That's not being a musician in my eyes. And I can't see how someone who does that can call it their song..
Old 14th November 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Syn303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Not sure how well a 6'9 giant is going to deal with being called weak but ill let him know.
Over here in the UK we have a saying "the bigger you are, the harder you fall"


As to presets, no, people may use them as a building block to their own sounds. I prefer to build all my own sounds from scratch, synth programming is something i have been doing since the early 90's.
Old 14th November 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

I make my own sounds from scratch all the time for all my music. The first thing I usually do to try out a new synth is create an EP patch, this kind of sound ALWAYS gives me a good look into the envelopes and ADSR parameters. To be honest, I'm not really militant on this, I don't even force myself to try and come up with a new sound everytime, it's just something that happens no matter how I try to avoid it (not that I try to do that either :P). To me it's very simple: I have absolutely NO PATIENCE to scroll through presets, and if I actually find a sound I like I usually (and strangely unconsciously) try to recreate it myself (I'm the type of person who's answer is usually: "hey I can do that!!").

Again, this is not some kind of rule I have imposed on myself, I got into synths cause I wanted to create unearthly sounds of my own, even if they weren't musically useful, I just wanted to make sounds "from outer space" and nothing else really; it was only afterwards that I started to use them as musical instruments; thing is, by that time I had already figured out what I wanted to sound like exactly, and as the years go by, that sound becomes even more defined (making finding useful presets nearly impossible) therefore creating my own sounds to me is actually a building block for writing music that relies on electronic textures. Some will say that the actual song is more important, and I see the value on that; but it's very exiting to write a tune and give it new life with a synth patch that you created specifically for it, because it becomes not only your song, but also your sound.
Old 14th November 2012
  #14
Gear addict
 
mrfortune's Avatar
 

Does a piano have multiple presets, I think this question is for people busy no making music. He was in the midst should he spend hours making that sound or find something similar and continue the creative process. I make sounds when I'm laying in bed watching a movie and use those ms presets when making tunes. Bulletin..... The listener does not care they just want music they like..
Old 14th November 2012
  #15
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
i can make my own sounds but i usually use presets
who the hell cares if its a preset or not?
Old 14th November 2012
  #16
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus View Post
i can make my own sounds but i usually use presets
who the hell cares if its a preset or not?
thats a pretty girlish attitude.. who cares when someone wears the same dress on the big party
Old 14th November 2012
  #17
Gear Head
 

Real musicians only use sounds they make on analog synthesizers that they invented using parts that they have machine fabricated and put together using soldering irons that they have forged and solder that they have purified and mined with a pick axe that they designed and crafted from a rock and tree which they grew from seeds that were passed down generationally through their family line and watered with their own urine. etc.

You can tell when fake-artists try to make music because it doesn't sound anything like what real-artists make using the above mentioned rules.

Doesn't everyone know this?
Old 14th November 2012
  #18
Banned
 

and real fakes try to compare preset use with buying a syntheziser.. that shows that they just dont know it any other way..
Old 14th November 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 

The main issue to me is that if you're using presets you're not really involving yourself in the music-making process, which then leads to the question "why are you making music?" To get music to sound good, you have to be pretty ****ing dedicated to it. It's hard to imagine a person who's really into music who's also...not really into music.
Old 14th November 2012
  #20
Gear Head
 

Well if you are using straight Presets your going to end up sounding like other tracks that used the same preset. You have to at least work with a preset and not keep it how you got it.
Old 14th November 2012
  #21
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Neither is right or wrong.
However after watching my friend yesterday in the studio and under pressure to try and finish a track he literally started flicking through presets......I had to make an excuse and say I was leaving, my head started to hurt watching him flick through presets.

So is this normal for the guys under pressure or just an excuse?
It's a possible approach, much like blindly picking cards out of a deck or grabbing colored pencils at random when you start to paint or draw and restrict yourself to those colors.

Desperation rarely gives good advice. Then again, the prospect of being hanged can focus the mind wonderfully.

But - it's less painful to see than someone flipping through compressor or EQ presets, because in that case you can be sure that they -really- don't know what they're doing.

Quote:
I don't have this problem, so I spend days creating my own own sounds. In fact it is the very first first step in creating a track.
You mean - you don't have deadlines?

Quote:
Anyway do you prefer to make your own sounds, or are you a preset user?
I am more than capable of making my own sounds from scratch, but presets offer perspectives that I wouldn't gravitate towards naturally; my taste in music is simply not the same as (insert sound designer here).

For that alone they're valuable.
Old 14th November 2012
  #22
I do half half - some sounds I haven't quite figured out how to synthesize myself yet, learning every day though. Honestly in a professional producing position (if you are busting out tracks all the time), unless you've had enough downtime to create a library of your own sounds, it'd be very difficult to manage time while synthesizing everything from scratch.

I also think it's a mentality of artist vs. producer. These days with the electronic world, "producer" = artist. So, if you wanna be the next cool electronic artist, you have to make everything from scratch. But not everyone producing is an artist - many people produce tracks for pop artists, television, etc.

I really think it's a bit extreme to suggest being a producer means synthesizing all your own sounds. I'm all for it though if you have the time/care to learn, synthesis is a crazy creative world.
Old 14th November 2012
  #23
95% of the time I create my own patches from scratch. It's usually just faster this way and the sounds fit the song much better... not to mention my analog modular synths don't really handle presets very well...
Old 14th November 2012
  #24
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
thats a pretty girlish attitude.. who cares when someone wears the same dress on the big party
But the actual reality is..... no one cares.
I worked with one of the most eminent producers in the 80's, and he surprised me by using pre-sets all the time.
His tracks sounded amazing, because it was the whole package. A pre-set, if used, was just one component and very often the exactly right component. No one ever knew he used synth pre-sets. I didn't until I saw it in person.
These regular pre-set threads are just the snob army on patrol.
As it happens, I make 99% of my sounds from scratch, using hardware synths. However, I think there are so many pre-set packs being bought because finding a pre-set that is close to where you want to be is more effective than doing everything from scratch.
If you want a bass sound, or a pad, why start from absolute scratch, when you can save some time by finding something similar to what you want, then editing it to make it unique to yourself?
Old 14th November 2012
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
I have absolutely NO PATIENCE to scroll through presets,
me too, i find preset surfing is so annoying and time consuming, that even if i had never wanted to learn synth programming i simply would have had no other choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
and if I actually find a sound I like I usually (and strangely unconsciously) try to recreate it myself (I'm the type of person who's answer is usually: "hey I can do that!!").

Yes -if a sound is interesting I want to know how it´s made.
Old 14th November 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
masaski's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Neither is right or wrong.
However after watching my friend yesterday in the studio and under pressure to try and finish a track he literally started flicking through presets......I had to make an excuse and say I was leaving, my head started to hurt watching him flick through presets.

So is this normal for the guys under pressure or just an excuse?

I don't have this problem, so I spend days creating my own own sounds. In fact it is the very first first step in creating a track.
I have no issue with producers using presets and if this it what does it for you that is fine, however I do find that nothing is better then making your own sounds or sound designing.
I find everything in the track makes more sense to me, it all seems to gel more nicely.
I have used presets in the past, but never really felt all that great about it to be honest. So my goal was always to perfect my synth chops.
Anyway do you prefer to make your own sounds, or are you a preset user?
Honestly, who gives a ****? Really...

You just make this sound like a pissing contest between you and your pal. Who cares. Just make music. Maybe he doesn't have the luxury time-wise of creating everything from scratch...

I'd love to hear some of your work created with raw waves/tones etc...
Old 14th November 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I do both as well...Use Presets and tweak/create my own.

How can you you tell if someone is using, say, drum loops or any kind of loop (besides melodies)?
Old 14th November 2012
  #28
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaski View Post
Honestly, who gives a ****? Really...

You just make this sound like a pissing contest between you and your pal. Who cares. Just make music. Maybe he doesn't have the luxury time-wise of creating everything from scratch...

I'd love to hear some of your work created with raw waves/tones etc...
how many sounds does an edm track need? 3? and even when a preset once in a while domt hurts..there are way to many tracks out there that are 100% presets and than even try to copy a known track..thats a bit to much preset and definitely unhealthy for the music and its status.

A little creativity dont hurts.. especially when the occupation is music production
Old 14th November 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

More than a few masterpieces were made by people banging that same preset called a piano, for a few centuries now.
Old 14th November 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
masaski's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
how many sounds does an edm track need? 3? and even when a preset once in a while domt hurts..there are way to many tracks out there that are 100% presets and than even try to copy a known track..thats a bit to much preset and definitely unhealthy for the music and its status.

A little creativity dont hurts.. especially when the occupation is music production
I agree with you 100%. Most people agree.

I just take the op's point as standard. If you are a music producer, you will make 90% of your own sounds. BUT sometimes maybe, to get yourself out of a hole or just by chance, you may use a preset. If so, it doesn't matter.

It's like saying I would never use a 909 kick.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
TBA / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
11
Bubbakron / Q & A with engineer / producer / artist - Alan Parsons
1
celebritymusic / So much gear, so little time!
1
Richard / So much gear, so little time!
20

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search