The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Addict

By the way, how's the EPROM update doing, is there a list where Boomstar owners can sign up to be notified when it's ready?
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaytron View Post
your wish has come true! see here (wouldn't let me embed the image ):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=663102973754081

CS80 in gold, and korg 700 in red. and i thought i could resist getting one. absolutely brilliant.
OH ****. Well now that's the last roadblock to getting one of these bad boys. Better start saving my pennies!
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
OH ****. Well now that's the last roadblock to getting one of these bad boys. Better start saving my pennies!
I agree. Resistance is futile. I have an ATCxi QF but I know I'm going to "need" that CS80 and/or Korg filter; as well as hardware envelopes.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

That's funny Zerocrossing, I saw your last post. Ask and you shall receive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold View Post
I agree. Resistance is futile. I have an ATCxi QF but I know I'm going to "need" that CS80 and/or Korg filter; as well as hardware envelopes.
Yeah, I think the ATC-Xi and the Boomstars compliment each other well. I even ended up adding another Boomstar lately
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

BOOM!
Old 27th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post

BOOM!
WOW
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

I think that the boomstar 5089 is the best sounding boomstar in the range! and I think it sounds very much like a moog slimb phatty does any one agree with me? And how much does the boomstar 5089 way in kilograms? thanks for your help in advance kind regards trey.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear
The 5089 sounds gorgeous! Don't know how much it weights though.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

thanks man
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
I think that the boomstar 5089 is the best sounding boomstar in the range! and I think it sounds very much like a moog slimb phatty does any one agree with me? And how much does the boomstar 5089 way in kilograms? thanks for your help in advance kind regards trey.
Hi Sound Warrior, I realise from another of your posts that you are blind. The Boomstar 5089 filter definitely sounds fantastic but listening to their new S E 80 dual resonant filter. I think it may also be worthy of your consideration.

It sounds like a cross between a 3 0 3 and an S E M. It would probably compliment a 5089 very well L O L. I've posted a video below and it comes in between 3 and 5 minutes. Enjoy

Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

could you post a regular url to this link because my screen reeder can't play the video controls thanks
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

what! i red on there website that there was no cs80 filter for the boomstar am i thinking rite? or am i tripping? kind regards trey.
Old 2nd February 2014
Matrix Modulator

CS80 = Acid, who knew?
Old 2nd February 2014
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
what! i red on there website that there was no cs80 filter for the boomstar am i thinking rite? or am i tripping? kind regards trey.
It isn't quite in production but it will be in about a month.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

has the korg filter disine gone in to production yet? and if yes what's it called?

kind regards trey.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Guru

Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

These boxes have been on my radar for a while... Was considering an A4 or SP but actually I think these boxes have it...just got to decide
Perhaps SEM.
I'll use either MPC or OT to sequence.
Old 5th February 2014
Has anyone successfully sequenced a Boomstar with an MPC1000?
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Based on these Boomstar videos, I've decided to build a couple of distortion circuits for my DIY modular. Does anyone have any insight into how the Boomstars are achieving their distortion? I could just build the usual overdrive circuits, but these sound good, and I am wondering if they are doing anything interesting with the circuit topology.
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

i can't waight to get a boomstar 5089 and sequence it with an arturia beatstep
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

From what I can see/hear, there are 2 sides to the Boomstars. There are the 5089, 4075, 3003 on one side. And the SEM, CS80 and 700 on the other side. I think if you pair one from each side you'd be very happy, covering a ton of range (though each one already has so much expression/character). I've done this recently and am loving. Although I did this with the decision to try multiple Boomstars in person and then keep one. But the sound of these things are making it hard to let either go. Can't wait to hear more of the CS80 and 700.
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Maniac

SE's website states that the ATCxi (formerly ATC) is now "currently unavailable"; a somewhat enigmatic status. Every time I think of selling mine I can't bring myself to do it. Best to just keep it; too many good patches are able to be wrought from it.
Has anyone with a Boomstar and an ATC run the Boomstar into the external in of the ATC? If so, what are the results. The ATCx has four filters; same as the first four Boomstars. Would closing the filter on a Boomstar and running it through the ATC yield essentially a quad-filter Boomstar?
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

I have an ATC-Xi along with the Boomstars, but have run them through the ATC. My feeling is that it will not produce a quad filter boomstar. I think Greg has stated how surprised they were to hear the 3003 sound so different than the 303 filter in the ATC. Therefore I would think the internal wirings of the Boomstar are different enough to produce a different sound. I have never heard the ATC get as chirpy as the 3003. I would think about getting one of the modular filters before thinking that the ATC will yield the same sound.
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the response RIDS. One thought is to sell my ATCxi and some other gear and buy a Pittsburgh Modular Foundation 3 along with the SE filter modules coming out. I don't really care if it ended up sounding exactly like anything vintage as I suspect that setup would sound fabulous in it's own right.
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

No problem. I guess sell the ATC-Xi at your own risk though. I personally think of the ATC-Xi and Boomstars as two completely different synths even though they are really very similar in many regards. Basically I see the ATC-Xi as the 'deeper synth' and the Boomstar as a punchy brother. The extra programable Env. and Lfos make it a lot of fun to coax creamy liquidy sounds from it. I really enjoy both quite a bit, but I know everyone has their own priorities. I will say I think the bare bones of the SE gear, mainly the Osc., and distortion circuits will yield a different sound than the Pitt. modules. Good luck with whichever direction you choose to go.
Old 6th February 2014
I really liked the idea of the boomstars and from the demos I thought they sounded great, but the CS80 and the 700 judging from the demos sound stunning. Really smart move from SE. I hope they have huge sales and keep coming out with great affordable stuff.

Always entertained the idea of an Omega (now CODE) but you know, $$$
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
No problem. I guess sell the ATC-Xi at your own risk though. I personally think of the ATC-Xi and Boomstars as two completely different synths even though they are really very similar in many regards. Basically I see the ATC-Xi as the 'deeper synth' and the Boomstar as a punchy brother. The extra programable Env. and Lfos make it a lot of fun to coax creamy liquidy sounds from it. I really enjoy both quite a bit, but I know everyone has their own priorities. I will say I think the bare bones of the SE gear, mainly the Osc., and distortion circuits will yield a different sound than the Pitt. modules. Good luck with whichever direction you choose to go.
Yes rids, you are right. I can't get myself to sell the ATCx. Too many good features. Too many good patches easily produced.
Boomstar 700 out in March maybe. That sounded really interesting. Wait for more demos.
The 80 sounded very good as well. Too much good stuff coming out right now (better than not enough good stuff).
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

i think the boomstar 5089 is the best of the current line guys. i tried to make my self want the cem one but i always end up thinking "but its not the 5089" I was thinking of selling my elektron a4 but even thoe i find it really hard at times its so versatile i just can't bring my self to part with it
Old 9th February 2014
Gear interested

Just got the Boomstar SEM.
Definitely worthwhile! I chose the SEM 'cuz I didn't want a Moog clone; I'm planning on someday getting a Sub Phatty, and I wanted something different. The choice of filter (12db, with notch/bandpass option) makes it sound different from my other stuff. I know... The big draw to the actual SEM is the oscillators... But I gotta say, I'm sold on the filter!

Two thumbs up for the SEM Boomstar!

p.s. And about those envelopes - snappy.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search