The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 19th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I'm wondering - and excuse me for wondering out loud - why aren't there any reviews. I mean it's a great synth that sounds phenomenal. Yet until now, SOS, keyboardmag, musictech, sonic lab etc etc - nothing about the boomstar, and yet they did their reviews for novation bass station 2 and other new analogs. There are even reviews for the microbrute which is even not out yet. I find that plain weird.
We are sending out units for review this month. Honestly, We've had none to spare up until now. Never makes any sense giving early units for review. We like to see feedback from actual users to make sure we've worked all the kinks out.

Greg
Old 19th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
Guys, I'm gonna be in NYC in a few weeks, are there any shops I can check out the Boomstar in person?
We're working on NYC proper. Three Wave in NJ has a couple on hand.

Greg
SE
Old 19th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
@Analogia:

Greg, could you tell us what is the format of the pot shafts , in case someone decided to replace the factory ones... like is it 1/4"... D-shaft, round or knurled etc...

maybe a pointless question from me, since i dont have a Boomstar yet, but am toying with the idea of 3003, and just started getting some sexy pots for some of my euro modules.. and there are some that look very much like from your early mockups, silver cap with a white pointer..

and could you give us an update on how will we be able to control the glide on/off for XOX style sequneces? i asked before, and you hinted it might be possible via MIDI or something, so i wondered are there any updates on that front?

i could use an external euro CV controlled slew (fed by expert sleeprs), but it complicates things, and would like to keep this standalone if possible.

thanks
The silver knobs in the mockups were virtual. The real thing was too small, not quite wide or high enough for my taste. Looked like a cheap radio knob. It's always tough finding good knobs. The Moog style and similar model silver with line were too low profile. Because of the close proximity of the toggle switches, I wanted something that would elevate your fingers to clear the switch. I like the soft touch of the knobs we use and their width and height is perfect. I see that some are put off by them. In a perfect world, we would have a custom made design. No budget for that with all the money we put into the pcbs and parts. The shafts are 6mm round, no knurl. The range switched are 1/4".

The glide thing is turning out to be not quite so easy and might not happen. We chose to use a hardware glide that is not seen by the processor. No way to get to it. We though we might be able to use the bend cv, but that is not so simple. Sorry to let you down on that feature.

Greg
SE
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

I have quietly read this thread for half a year with major G.A.S. pains. Can Boomstar owners gush/brag and continue to add audio clips daily HEH?! When It goes quiet I start to feel more sensible with my savings..
Old 26th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
The shafts are 6mm round, no knurl. The range switched are 1/4".

The glide thing is turning out to be not quite so easy and might not happen. We chose to use a hardware glide that is not seen by the processor. No way to get to it. We though we might be able to use the bend cv, but that is not so simple. Sorry to let you down on that feature.
thanks for the info on knobs dimensions.

and, well its not the end of the world for glide, since if get it i'll probably drive it from my expert sleepers/silent way system via CV/GATE. cause timing is perfect compared to MIDI, especially noticeable for sequences and patterns.

and then its fairly easy to introduce 303 type glide steps within DAW. think there's even a plug exactly for that purpose, and translates perfectly to the ES CV output. going all the way, i could even send an attenuated gate signal to the VCA AM input, to get the ACCENT on some steps as well.

cool, think i figured it out
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

had another chance to play with a Boomstar, this time it was a 4075.

nothing fancy, but i think you can hear the filter character pretty well.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

I've seen 1 video on YouTube that makes me interested in these units. Most of the videos are people making annoying noises that are anything but musical. I'm sure these units have potential, but come on people.
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
I've seen 1 video on YouTube that makes me interested in these units. Most of the videos are people making annoying noises that are anything but musical. I'm sure these units have potential, but come on people.
Well then, please show us all how it's done.
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
You haven't been searching much, there's plently of good demos on soundcloud and other places.
Here's my own of the 4075

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
Here is a short demo I made to try various sounds.
Everything but the drums comes from the 4075.
Hope someone enjoys it.
( Thanks clusterchord for your nice comments, prompted me to dig this up ).
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
had another chance to play with a Boomstar, this time it was a 4075.

nothing fancy, but i think you can hear the filter character pretty well.
Hot dog thanks! WANT. WILL HAVE!
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow, so lovely and bubbly! Way to bring the funk (@)||(@)
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You haven't been searching much, there's plently of good demos on soundcloud and other places.

That's pretty impressive. I was basing my comment off of what I saw on YouTube.
Old 28th November 2013
Ever think the square wave on your boomstar sounds too "nice," whatever you do to the pulsewidth? Ever think, "I'm trying to make cybernetic dream-sequence music, not emulate a bloody accordion!" Try running the sub oscillator on it's own, in the higher octaves. Almost sounds digital, guess that's the raw divide-down waveform?

Just a little tip I found last night

EDIT: not to say it tends to sound like an accordion. That's just what I often end up doing when messing around with square waves.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Creammmyyy!!
Old 3rd December 2013
Gear interested

i'm still a bit confusing which boomstar to pick as the only one, could you please help me with advice?

i'm into intelligent experimental minimal techno and my goal is to get really low sine/triangle bass with ultra-sharp punchy transients, which is really hard to get from modern, cheap analogs. i'm not interested in heavily distorted, acid or hi-mids bass.

also i'm planning to use it for analog sfxs, but bass, as i described, is its primary target.

at this time i'm thinking about SEM version, due to its multi-mode filter and i like demos with its sharpness
but maybe i should go for moog or even 3003 filters?

and another question: i still dont get it: can i modulate osc pitch by one of envelopes or only by LFO?
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

are the boomstars shipping with V2 yet?
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivity View Post
...can i modulate osc pitch by one of envelopes or only by LFO?
You can modulate the pitch of VCO2 by either envelope 1 or 2, use the switch and knob in the top right hand corner.
Old 17th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hope to have it out soon. It's been a busy summer and fall getting production up to speed. There are only a few things left to implement. We've streamlined the final version. The features added will be key trigger for the LFO, swapping aftertouch and modwheel assignments, tweaking the LFO rates, and storing the midi channel.

Greg
SE
Greg,

Will Rev2 be just a firmware upgrade? Or are there actual tweaks to the hardware itself?

Just wondering if I buy a Boomstar now, will I be able to upgrade to Rev2.
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillloyd View Post
Greg,

Will Rev2 be just a firmware upgrade? Or are there actual tweaks to the hardware itself?

Just wondering if I buy a Boomstar now, will I be able to upgrade to Rev2.
No changes to the hardware, just a firmware update.

Greg
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
No changes to the hardware, just a firmware update.

Greg
Thanks Greg, I just realized this was asked/answered earlier in the thread.

FWIW I wandered into Big City Music (Studio City) yesterday and walked out with a 4075. Couldn't be happier with the sound!

Only problem is that now I have G.A.S. for the 303 and 5089...I can kind of understand how Gabalonso ended up with all 4 LOL. But I think the 4075 will keep me plenty busy for a while...
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
The Boomstar manual has a lot of blank patch sheets with specific names on them. I'm wondering if these will get filled in with an amendment to the manual.
I'd love to see these completed as well ...

Every time I fire up the 4075 I usually come up with a killer sound ... But I've never been able to duplicate one ... Well, I haven't really been trying that hard ... The lack of memory is kind of the charm ... Suits the way I make music anyway as I'll use different bass sounds, leads, etc. throughout the entire track ... If anything, 4075 is pushing me into this workflow even more ...
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
I'd love to see these completed as well ...

Every time I fire up the 4075 I usually come up with a killer sound ... But I've never been able to duplicate one ... Well, I haven't really been trying that hard ... The lack of memory is kind of the charm ... Suits the way I make music anyway as I'll use different bass sounds, leads, etc. throughout the entire track ... If anything, 4075 is pushing me into this workflow even more ...
I wonder also if a newer version of the manual will include a printed signal flow diagram (although truth be told I actually dig the scribbled-on-notebook paper diagram--kinda makes you feel like you've got a copy of the very first SE brainstorm/chicken scratchings for the B*--but it is a bit tough to read in spots). The manual's really well done though, just went through it line by line and I think I have a good sense of the routing and modulations.

FWIW the only thing I couldn't figure out is the function of the MOD DEPTH knob in the VCO2 section. The manual seems to say the knob acts as a modulation control (sent to either ENV1 or ENV2, depending on where you set the switch), but when I try to use it, it seems to just act to modulate the pitch, and seems to act the same regardless of whether ENV1 or 2 is selected.

My first day with this thing has been an absolute blast though. Shocked at how huge-sounding it can get. Love the immediacy of it too (I have other analogs, but none with true one knob-per-function layouts).

I thought I'd miss the lack of patch storage, but the tradeoff seems well worth it (I'm forced into constant knob-turning, which I guess is the point with a beast like this I imagine I'll eventually either have a thick folder of filled-out patch sheets, or a bunch of jpeg pics of the sounds I'm stumbling into.
Old 20th December 2013
StudioXchange has £50 off the moog one and the roland one, ending on the 23rd! Studio Electronics Synthesisers | Studioxchange

I guess this means the ARP one and the SEM one are selling a little better perhaps? I know went for the arp one because it's a little more exotic than the others. It does sound like a poor man's 2600 a lot of the time. Put a spring reverb IR on it and you can pretend it's the early 1970s quite easily. Makes me wish I could play keys so I could smash out some rhodes solos over the top of it.
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Nut

For those of you interested in the SEM, one just popped up on Ebay. Not a huge deal ($799 + $25 shipping from Canada), but for those looking for the SEM flavor it will save you a few bucks.

Boomstar SEM | eBay
Old 24th December 2013
Quote:

you're welcome
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

So, I've kind of lusted after one of these for a while now, but having an ATC-x QFS, I don't want to overlap on the filter type. Any chance of S.E. doing a Yamaha CS80 filter model? You know you want to.
Old 24th January 2014
Gear interested

Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear
Played with them today, the cs80 sounded really nice.
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Oh man, as if it wasn't hard enough to make a choice already!
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

Besides the korg 700 filter - all the other filters were available for the Omega/CODE (the moog filter, SEM, arp, 303 and CS-80).
What i'm wondering is whether they'll make an Omega compatible version of the korg 700 filters. That woul'd indeed be great news!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search