The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 29th October 2013
  #1921
Gear interested
 
Solum's Avatar
 

When will the Rev 2 come?
Old 29th October 2013
  #1922
Rev 2...

You may have to wait a long time for a revision. I've been waiting 5 years for an update on the omega 8....
Old 30th October 2013
  #1923
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solum View Post
When will the Rev 2 come?
Hope to have it out soon. It's been a busy summer and fall getting production up to speed. There are only a few things left to implement. We've streamlined the final version. The features added will be key trigger for the LFO, swapping aftertouch and modwheel assignments, tweaking the LFO rates, and storing the midi channel.

Greg
SE
Old 2nd November 2013
  #1924
Gear interested
 

Just an update. I got my new SE 4075. Nova Musik and Studio Electronics were both very helpful in sorting out the issues with my first Boomstar.
What a wonderful synth. Running this with a Dark Time using CV gates and such.
Absolutely rich sounds and textures. Deep control possibilities.
Thanks alot Studio Electronics.
Old 2nd November 2013
  #1925
Gear interested
 

deleted double post
Old 3rd November 2013
  #1926
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
Still curious if anyone with multiple Boomstars has tried going Osc Out on one to Ext In on another.
Old 3rd November 2013
  #1927
Lives for gear
 

Tried ALL 4 the other day, :D (thanks awave) mini review

All the filters had the different characters they are based on and all sounded great.

Had the all those types of filters in the past so prolly going the sem and possibly a 3003,
I sold my 4 v 6 years ago :{

Plenty of controls, lots of switching, nice small foot print and logically laid out, heavy duty power connector

Took very little time to get some pretty tough sounds out of them and then able to change the sound with a few twists and switches back to nice smooth sound, so memory is not an issue and gelling with a no memory mono synth is fun to me any way.

Whats with the over flow switch on the back, poly?

Excellent.
Old 3rd November 2013
  #1928
Lives for gear
 
Gil missFlag's Avatar
 

I've pretty much decided to get a Boomstar 4075, but is there any point getting one now with Rev 2 around the corner? I don't live in the US so I think I should probably wait...
Old 9th November 2013
  #1929
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

Loving my 4075 but I think it's time for these renderings to come down off the Studio Electronics website since the actual units do not have the very-nice-looking silver plate on the knobs ... nor the white position indicator ...



This is the actual ...

Old 9th November 2013
  #1930
Lives for gear
Is this for real? I'm a bit anal about aesthetics but that is like getting a Moog without the moog. I can get better lookin knobs from many electronics retailers but what worries me more is what's under the hood.
Old 9th November 2013
  #1931
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Is this for real? I'm a bit anal about aesthetics but that is like getting a Moog without the moog. I can get better lookin knobs from many electronics retailers but what worries me more is what's under the hood.
How's this for under the hood:



Old 9th November 2013
  #1932
Gear interested
 
berlin's Avatar
 

I have some concern about the new analog synth that come out nowadays.
I really don't know **** when it comes to electronics so do you this kind of machine will stand out through the years and still be serviceable in the future like an old MS20 that you can still easily fix today (so they say) ?

That's what scares me the most about new analog stuff like voyagers , phatties and SE stuff....
Old 9th November 2013
  #1933
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin View Post
I have some concern about the new analog synth that come out nowadays.
I really don't know **** when it comes to electronics so do you this kind of machine will stand out through the years and still be serviceable in the future like an old MS20 that you can still easily fix today (so they say) ?

That's what scares me the most about new analog stuff like voyagers , phatties and SE stuff....
What I can confirm is that this SE stuff seems to be very serviceable and if it does what you want it might be a wonderful synth. It probably does it better than an original MS-20 but maybe not better than an MS-20 mini - which in turn is ****ty in construction. There's always a reverse side to it.
Old 9th November 2013
  #1934
Gear interested
 
berlin's Avatar
 

Ok , i'm not trying to compare the possibilities and overall sound of the MS20 with the boomstar here , the differences are obvious. I actually own an MS20 , love it and will never part with it but it seems like a good example of what a trusty good old analog synth is today , again based on the information i gathered on the internet concerning its reliability. Mine still works like a charm today.

I'm just wondering , will the boomstars be in 20 years what the old Ms20's are today in terms of reliability and serviceability?

When you see the inside of the boomstars (and voyagers...etc) it seems more complex than the circuitry of a minimoog , odyssey or MS....

So is it something worth worrying about ?
Old 9th November 2013
  #1935
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin View Post
Ok , i'm not trying to compare the possibilities and overall sound of the MS20 with the boomstar here , the differences are obvious. I actually own an MS20 , love it and will never part with it but it seems like a good example of what a trusty good old analog synth is today , again based on the information i gathered on the internet concerning its reliability. Mine still works like a charm today.

I'm just wondering , will the boomstars be in 20 years what the old Ms20's are today in terms of reliability and serviceability?

When you see the inside of the boomstars (and voyagers...etc) it seems more complex than the circuitry of a minimoog , odyssey or MS....

So is it something worth worrying about ?
I have no degree in electronics so you can't trust me. But I'll give my opinion anyway :D

What I see is all through-hole circuitry which may or may not exist in 20 years time. However it is very much time-tested and likely to exist for some time. I've peeked into my MS-20 when I owned it and it's not much different to the SE units. The main concerns would be the chips availability and maybe bad el capacitors if you believe in bad luck.
Old 9th November 2013
  #1936
Lives for gear
 
Rust Creep's Avatar
 

I dont own a boomstar but the T.O. SEMs osc are part of its sound.. seems obvious but havent seen this mentioned.. that said.. if i didnt have an xs the boomstar would be quite appealing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 9th November 2013
  #1937
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Studio Electronics does a good job of backing up and supporting their products. Though I haven't had to ever contact them for anything faulty or crapping out. I've owned all their ATC line (ATC1, ATCX, ATCXi) and they've held up strong.
Old 10th November 2013
  #1938
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin View Post
Ok , i'm not trying to compare the possibilities and overall sound of the MS20 with the boomstar here , the differences are obvious. I actually own an MS20 , love it and will never part with it but it seems like a good example of what a trusty good old analog synth is today , again based on the information i gathered on the internet concerning its reliability. Mine still works like a charm today.

I'm just wondering , will the boomstars be in 20 years what the old Ms20's are today in terms of reliability and serviceability?

When you see the inside of the boomstars (and voyagers...etc) it seems more complex than the circuitry of a minimoog , odyssey or MS....

So is it something worth worrying about ?
The ARP Odyssey is a pretty unreliable and maintenance-heavy synth.
Old 10th November 2013
  #1939
Lives for gear
 

In the pics of the PCBs, looking at the last pic on the board near the center foreground it looks like some resistors are installed oddly, like some last minute revision or kludge. Is that supposed to be like that?
Old 10th November 2013
  #1940
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
I dont own a boomstar but the T.O. SEMs osc are part of its sound.. seems obvious but havent seen this mentioned.. that said.. if i didnt have an xs the boomstar would be quite appealing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
The design is similar to both T.O. and the second rev Mini oscillator boards. We've used this design from the time when we were making MidiMinis. It is stable and scales very well. Hardly ever fails. All of the shelf parts, no custom
ics.

Greg
SE
Old 10th November 2013
  #1941
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
In the pics of the PCBs, looking at the last pic on the board near the center foreground it looks like some resistors are installed oddly, like some last minute revision or kludge. Is that supposed to be like that?
Sometimes we put resistors in series or parallel if we can't find exact values.
Early models had changes made after production, so they'll have a few more
Franken-resistors. There is no technical disadvantage, maybe not as pretty. The 2600 filter in the picture has standup resistors because of limited space.

Greg
SE
Old 10th November 2013
  #1942
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Loving my 4075 but I think it's time for these renderings to come down off the Studio Electronics website since the actual units do not have the very-nice-looking silver plate on the knobs ... nor the white position indicator ...



This is the actual ...

The "renderings" only appear in the header art that was created before the products were in production obviously, and was left in place because it was quite stylish, and there were bigger fish to fry.

Of the 55 or so Boomstar image links to be discovered in the "galleria image links page" none are renders--a redundant point, I realize, but positionally clarifying.

New header art coming right up...

MSR
Old 15th November 2013
  #1943
Lives for gear
there's a couple of great priced Boomstars on U.S. ebay right now.. if I didn't already have the Arp one I'd grab that in a second.. there's a SEM one too that's been tempting me, if I didn't have my heart set on a new Two Voice. Actually surprised to see them unsold, these things Kill all the new analog monos out there right now IMO...
Old 16th November 2013
  #1944
Lives for gear
 

I'm wondering - and excuse me for wondering out loud - why aren't there any reviews. I mean it's a great synth that sounds phenomenal. Yet until now, SOS, keyboardmag, musictech, sonic lab etc etc - nothing about the boomstar, and yet they did their reviews for novation bass station 2 and other new analogs. There are even reviews for the microbrute which is even not out yet. I find that plain weird.
Old 16th November 2013
  #1945
Lives for gear
probably because SE doesn't spend advertising dollars with those mags.. besides there's plenty of reviews in this thread from real users...
Old 16th November 2013
  #1946
Lives for gear
 
Rust Creep's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
The design is similar to both T.O. and the second rev Mini oscillator boards. We've used this design from the time when we were making MidiMinis. It is stable and scales very well. Hardly ever fails. All of the shelf parts, no custom
ics.

Greg
SE
Awesome bit of info. The SEMs osc are among my favorite

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 16th November 2013
  #1947
Gear maniac
 

Guys, I'm gonna be in NYC in a few weeks, are there any shops I can check out the Boomstar in person?
Old 17th November 2013
  #1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
The design is similar to both T.O. and the second rev Mini oscillator boards. We've used this design from the time when we were making MidiMinis. It is stable and scales very well. Hardly ever fails. All of the shelf parts, no custom
ics.

Greg
SE
great news thanks for chiming in Greg
Old 17th November 2013
  #1949
pots... glide on/off ..

@Analogia:


Greg, could you tell us what is the format of the pot shafts , in case someone decided to replace the factory ones... like is it 1/4"... D-shaft, round or knurled etc...

maybe a pointless question from me, since i dont have a Boomstar yet, but am toying with the idea of 3003, and just started getting some sexy pots for some of my euro modules.. and there are some that look very much like from your early mockups, silver cap with a white pointer..




and could you give us an update on how will we be able to control the glide on/off for XOX style sequneces? i asked before, and you hinted it might be possible via MIDI or something, so i wondered are there any updates on that front?

i could use an external euro CV controlled slew (fed by expert sleeprs), but it complicates things, and would like to keep this standalone if possible.


thanks
Old 18th November 2013
  #1950
Lives for gear
 
owensands's Avatar
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jetpackstudios / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
139
Clueless / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
1772
EduardoApolonia / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
741
mischa janisch / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
168
Clueless / So much gear, so little time!
14

Forum Jump