The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 3rd October 2013
[QUOTE=Soleil;9472413
When will the Boomstar be available in Europe ?[/QUOTE]

Would be great to get hands on BOOMSTARS ... but yeah ; none in FRANCE . Any infos Analogia ?

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

MESI used to have Studio Electronics gear, maybe try calling them? Or just order from Schneider's.

produits mesi
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
Would be great to get hands on BOOMSTARS ... but yeah ; none in FRANCE . Any infos Analogia ?

PEACE

MORDICUS
We've got BoomStars shipping to MESI in about 2 weeks.

Greg
SE
Old 3rd October 2013
Thanks Carey M and Analogia ... Was checking Mesi / Modular square bout twice every week since first modules were out but no Boomstars ... now comes the good time to try those puppies ...gotta say i love them all ... the one i m after is the SEM ... ( owner of SE 1 here ) ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 8th October 2013
Gear Maniac

So busy travelling that I haven't been in my recording studio for days.
Guess which synths I am missing the most?
G
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Electronics Boomstar-imageuploadedbygearslutz1381250790.103201.jpg  
Old 9th October 2013
Gear Addict

Still haven't gotten the Boomstar to receive midi clock from Cubase.
Everything is configured right in Cubase, but when I switch to 'midi sync' on the Boomstar I get weird midi data sent to random notes and it becomes totally unusable.
Only solution is to reboot the Boomstar, but as soon as I move the midi sync switch to 'on' again, the problem starts all over.

Is there something wrong with my module perhaps?
Old 9th October 2013
Gear Addict

Still haven't gotten the Boomstar to receive midi clock from Cubase.
Everything is configured right in Cubase, but when I switch to 'midi sync' on the Boomstar I get weird midi data sent to random notes and it becomes totally unusable.
Only solution is to reboot the Boomstar, but as soon as I move the midi sync switch to 'on' again, the problem starts all over.

Is there something wrong with my module perhaps?
Old 10th October 2013
Gear nut

Djones--make sure you are sending it beat clock and *not* MTC. I ran into a similar problem using Digital Performer, and that solved the problem.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The SEM still my first ....among equals!
Old 21st October 2013
Gear interested

can you guys help me decide the right gear?

i dont know which filter of boomstar or a gear would give me this kinda of sound? (4075/5089/SEM/303) (im thinking of getting the 5089 currently)

or do i have to go more than a 7 oscilartor euro rack style to make this kind of sound?

i really want that techno subbass strong sound. that in club output (brookyln), it really tests the sound system funktion one.
check this sound for example (just check many songs in this mix, u will get the idea)

https://soundcloud.com/jochempaap/sp...ghain-nov-2012

thank you in advance.

Last edited by choisam20; 21st October 2013 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: just had to add something
Old 21st October 2013
Gear maniac

And the bot came back... the very next day
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM3Merc View Post
I wonder if it will be plagued with slow env. like a lot of other SE stuff. It looks promising tho.
Mr. Bot, where do you come from and who is sending you. I'm very curious why the Boomstar thread is being plagued. I haven't seen this happen to many other threads.... or have I?... Now it makes me wonder if there is more of this going on here at GS and also if it's other synth companies that are setting this up to deceive the public.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear maniac

I think I saw the same thing in the Tempest thread. Whoever is doing it must have some knowledge of the gear since the spam is rather specific instead of being about male enhancements or how to get laid tonight.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Usually, The bots just copy text from elsewhere in the thread.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

what is the bot's motivation?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
what is the bot's motivation?
I don't think there's any motivation, only parroting. You see that ding about SE synths all over the place. Boomstar has hardware envelopes so, unless there was some drastic engineering mistake, it's unlikely to have slow envelopes.
I have SE synths and love their sound. Depends on your needs, I guess.
I also have synths with hardware envelopes. Both have their own strengths.
The Oscar is a revered, although not universally loved, synth and I read that it has an envelope speed of 9 ms. All natural instruments have different envelope speeds yet they are all useful and musical. If you need fast get the Boomstar or a Voyager; or if you're such a success, a GRP A4- then your "problem" is solved.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
Excellent!
G
PS: Theriot, just for your interest, I was born in France!
Thanks G! Native born huh? Nice.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by choisam20 View Post
i dont know which filter of boomstar or a gear would give me this kinda of sound? (4075/5089/SEM/303) (im thinking of getting the 5089 currently)

or do i have to go more than a 7 oscilartor euro rack style to make this kind of sound?

i really want that techno subbass strong sound. that in club output (brookyln), it really tests the sound system funktion one.
check this sound for example (just check many songs in this mix, u will get the idea)

https://soundcloud.com/jochempaap/sp...ghain-nov-2012

4075 1st, and 5089 second. I take it you are referring to the bass sound that pops up 'round 2:03.36?

Best,
MSR

thank you in advance.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear interested

Hey all. I just read all of these posts from page 40 so to this last page.
I just received my BStar 4075.
I really like the sound but I have a couple of issues.
First I'm a newb for the most part. I have a Mopho and a Monotribe,
a few Monotrons and a Yamaha Mox 7(which is my midi controller).

Anyways, I can't seem to get the VCO2 Range knob or VCO2 Tune Knob to do anything. I've tried numerous tweak variations but turning either of these knobs
has no effect.

I'm simply controlling the BStar with the MOX as a keyboard.
I'm waiting on a Doepfer Dark Time to sequence my BStar with.
That and I will primarily use the BSTAR to Pad with.
My Serial No. is 100184.
Is this just me not knowing synths, or is this a defect possibly?
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Peace.

Last edited by Truckfumes; 24th October 2013 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfumes View Post
Hey all. I just read all of these posts from page 40 so to this last page.
I just received my BStar 4075.
I really like the sound but I have a couple of issues.
First I'm a newb for the most part. I have a Mopho and a Monotribe,
a few Monotrons and a Yamaha Mox 7(which is my midi controller).

Anyways, I can't seem to get the VCO2 Range knob or VCO2 Tune Knob to do anything. I've tried numerous tweak variations but turning either of these knobs
has no effect.

I'm simply controlling the BStar with the MOX as a keyboard.
I'm waiting on a Doepfer Dark Time to sequence my BStar with.
That and I will primarily use the BSTAR to Pad with.
My Serial No. is 100184.
Is this just me not knowing synths, or is this a defect possibly?
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Peace.
Is the sync switch on?
Old 24th October 2013
Gear interested

thank you for ur respond.

so get 4075 first then, get 5089 later. i see. thank you.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Is the sync switch on?
Yes, the sync switch is on, off, all variations.
The Pot down at the bottom in the Mixer for VCO2 has no effect.
The envelope waveform for VCO2 works when I turn that but that's it.
It doesn't seem to be effected by modulators either.
I think something is not right.
Thank you for responding zahush76.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfumes View Post
Yes, the sync switch is on, off, all variations.
The Pot down at the bottom in the Mixer for VCO2 has no effect.
The envelope waveform for VCO2 works when I turn that but that's it.
It doesn't seem to be effected by modulators either.
I think something is not right.
Thank you for responding zahush76.
A few questions to better understand your problem. Well, more than a few.

Is VCO 2 tracking the keyboard? Are all waveforms making sound? Is the key tracking switch working? Is it syncing to VCO 1? If the mix pot is not working, how are you hearing it? When you refer to the "envelope waveform for VCO 2", is that the envelope modulation pot next to VCO 2's waveform switch? And you are getting modulation from the envelopes? Is LFO modulation working? The only modulation sources for VCO 2 are envelopes 1 and 2 and the LFO. Is VCO 2 working as the modulator for the filter and xmod to VCO 1?

If the range, tune and mix pots were not working, it's unlikely you would hear VCO 2 at all. If the sync circuit was stuck on, then the range and tune would work, but the pitch would be locked to VCO 1 and you would hear only the octave and harmonics change.

Maybe you mean to say that VCO 2 is not dead and not present at all.

Feel free to call or email me at the shop and we'll get it sorted out.

Greg
Studio Electronics
310-640-3546
Old 24th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
A few questions to better understand your problem. Well, more than a few.

Is VCO 2 tracking the keyboard?
Yes. I think so.

Quote:
Are all waveforms making sound?
Yes, when I switch the waveform encoder for VCO2 it switches between
saw, tri, and square.

Quote:
Is the key tracking switch working?
No, I don't think so. Because whether it's on or off the VCO2 tracks keys.

Quote:
Is it syncing to VCO 1?
Yes, I think it is stuck in sync with it. I can't get it to "de-harmonize" with the VCO1. I have tried with the VCO2 Tune knob, the sync switch, and various modulations(LFO, Filter Env, etc..)

Quote:
If the mix pot is not working, how are you hearing it?
Because I turn down VCO1 all the way. I can hear VCO2.
There isn't a visa-versa there. If I turn down VCO1, I can't turn down the gain/volume for VCO2. VCO2 Mix Pot Vol. must be stuck? I don't know. All I know is it doesn't work like VCO1 Mix volume.

Quote:
When you refer to the "envelope waveform for VCO 2", is that the envelope modulation pot next to VCO 2's waveform switch?
No I was refering to the envelope waveform switch(saw, tri, square) for VCO2. I guess "envelope waveform" was a bad term.
I was referring to the waveform switch. That seems to work.
Quote:
And you are getting modulation from the envelopes? Is LFO modulation working? The only modulation sources for VCO 2 are envelopes 1 and 2 and the LFO. Is VCO 2 working as the modulator for the filter and xmod to VCO 1?
No. None of this is working. The envelopes are modulating VCO1. But not VCO2. Same with the LFO. And VCO2 is not modulating other parameters.
Quote:
If the range, tune and mix pots were not working, it's unlikely you would hear VCO 2 at all.
I believe I am though. 'Cause No.1, something happens when I hit the waveform switch for VCO2, and No.2, when I turn down the mix pot for VCO1, I can hear another sound source. I'm presuming it's VCO2.

Quote:
If the sync circuit was stuck on, then the range and tune would work, but the pitch would be locked to VCO 1 and you would hear only the octave and harmonics change.
I've tried in vain to get some good de-harmonizing going. It won't do it.
The first and most stark thing I noticed was the range switch for VCO2. It doesn't do anything. Nor does Tune. From there it's tough to tell what kind of functioning synth I have, so it's hard for me to really analyze the other modulators if you take my meaning.

Quote:
Maybe you mean to say that VCO 2 is not dead and not present at all.
I said everything I mean right above. That's the best I can explain it.
I program the heck out of my Mopho. It has basically the same features.
I know when Osc's are synced. I know when various mod sources and destinations are working. I know when Osc's are key tracking or not.
Quote:
Feel free to call or email me at the shop and we'll get it sorted out.

Greg
Studio Electronics
310-640-3546
Great. Thanks for the reply here. Love the synth. It was time for some new Osc's and Filters and I looked around good and long. I settled on this Boomstar. Even with this Snafu, I'm still excited and psyched. The sound is great. I'll call during business hours.
Thanks again.
Old 24th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Anoybody here really OWNING the 4075 and/or the "SEM"?

I have the chance of buying one without getting ripped off by shipping/import, I've got to decide in 48 hours.

Main doubt [only doubt I can't solve elsewhere] is: pot quality/smothness/precision.

Can anybody comment?

thanks a lot
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
Anoybody here really OWNING the 4075 and/or the "SEM"?

I have the chance of buying one without getting ripped off by shipping/import, I've got to decide in 48 hours.

Main doubt [only doubt I can't solve elsewhere] is: pot quality/smothness/precision.

Can anybody comment?

thanks a lot
I've been doing a lot of playing and testing of things using the Boomstar as the primary sound source and across the board (large pots and small) - the ranges seem right, the precision is there, and the overall quality is very good. They are very smooth to use when doing large changes or small. The switches are firm and chunk into place nicely when flipped. Yes - if I grab a big knob (like Env decay) and push side to side there is some bit of movement, but not enough to make me think the pot is breaking loose or anything.

When I open them up to install the version 2 OS, I'll have a look around. I don't think the pots are screwed to the faceplate, but I haven't pulled any off to take a look. I've been too busy playing and enjoying the synth.
Old 24th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I've been too busy playing and enjoying the synth.
I know the "love is blind" feeling , but ya know... a year later... the passion fades, the love and intimacy are still there...

... but if things start sagging...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search