The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 26th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I'd love to hear more SEM basses, just because it's supposed to shine less brightly than its siblings in this regard; I'll bet it can be coaxed into some gorgeous low frequency territory
I'm with you in this asynchro_nous. We'll have to sneak one of out of production to see if it runs away from the showdown like Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne--don't think she's a gonna.

Be good to get "All the Shoot" in on this.

My brother Greg and I were talking about working up the SEM too.

Thanks for the nudge sir.

MSR
Old 26th September 2013
Gear Guru

Ugh. I used to have an SE1x so a 5089 would be nice. But the preset I really loved on that unit was in the first bank, nr 74 if I recall correctly, which used the OB filter. I also have Todd Terje's "Inspector Norse" EP here which showcases the 2600.

I can't afford to buy 3! heh

...Any plans to expand the range with a Pro-1 based unit?
Old 26th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Ugh. I used to have an SE1x so a 5089 would be nice. But the preset I really loved on that unit was in the first bank, nr 74 if I recall correctly, which used the OB filter. I also have Todd Terje's "Inspector Norse" EP here which showcases the 2600.

I can't afford to buy 3! heh

...Any plans to expand the range with a Pro-1 based unit?
You're going to have to refresh my memory on #74...

Todd Terje's track is clutch... just listened to it--big thanks man, and is he really a high school teacher in Norway? Hope he is teaching them some of the chords he drops: because nice.

I'll offer up the Pro-1 suggestion... I remember when it first came out and how fresh the sound was: Curtis chips right?
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post

Todd Terje's track is clutch... just listened to it--big thanks man, and is he really a high school teacher in Norway? Hope he is teaching them some of the chords he drops: because nice.

I'll offer up the Pro-1 suggestion... I remember when it first came out and how fresh the sound was: Curtis chips right?
Yep, phatty Curtis chips. Some would say one voice of a Prophet 5 (though gain staging is different for the Pro-one, and obviously no digitial stuff on the Pro-one to get in the way .

Can't wait to hook up the 5089 Greg!!!
Old 27th September 2013
Gear Maniac

How do we sign up to get the chip for the update?
Old 27th September 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I read the patch list of the manual again - my memory was off a few digits. It's bank A, #77 - "Rockford Vials." Searing, "splatty" lead and bass sound. Incredibly funky.

The SE1x was my first usable VCO analog (sadly it had to go to fund other purchases) but I've got a very soft spot for its character; unlike the Voyager its bass could actually "rumble" properly.

Quote:
Yup, you'd have to clone the inner workings of a CEM3340. For details you should probably ask Don Solaris - his take is that it's magic because monos can be driven at full volume in the final mixing stage.

All I know is that it's responsible for the hard-hitting sounds in Yazoo's "Don't Go" and nothing has done that again since.

Love the Morph-Fu demos by the way! The 3003 has great low-end!
Old 27th September 2013
Gear maniac

Sample track 5089

Old 27th September 2013
Gear maniac

Boomstar 5089

Old 27th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
Here is a quick jam with 5089.
ALL the sounds are 5089
A bit of delay and reverb added on some of the tracks

I love this machine!

https://soundcloud.com/gabalonso-1/morningboomstar
Outstanding sounds and composition bro. Really feel the leads and the character you assigned to them... and their relationship with each other.

Thanks for posting!

Enjoyed the track that followed: "With all I Am." Set a peaceful and reverent mood.

M
Old 27th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Outstanding sounds and composition bro. Really feel the leads and the character you assigned to them... and their relationship with each other.

Thanks for posting!

Enjoyed the track that followed: "With all I Am." Set a peaceful and reverent mood.

M
Thanks a lot M
Off abroad tomorrow but will try to do a composition with all different Boomstars when I return.

Also want to start using them on stage.

Thanks again for making such great modules!

G
Old 27th September 2013
Gear maniac

Want to start using the modules on stage now, next to my drums / percussion set!
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Electronics Boomstar-imageuploadedbygearslutz1380320677.116425.jpg  
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I read the patch list of the manual again - my memory was off a few digits. It's bank A, #77 - "Rockford Vials." Searing, "splatty" lead and bass sound. Incredibly funky.

The SE1x was my first usable VCO analog (sadly it had to go to fund other purchases) but I've got a very soft spot for its character; unlike the Voyager its bass could actually "rumble" properly.

Yup, you'd have to clone the inner workings of a CEM3340. For details you should probably ask Don Solaris - his take is that it's magic because monos can be driven at full volume in the final mixing stage.

All I know is that it's responsible for the hard-hitting sounds in Yazoo's "Don't Go" and nothing has done that again since.

Love the Morph-Fu demos by the way! The 3003 has great low-end!
Right, ROCKFORD VIALS! I was doin' my best Mike Post homage at the time. I loved that Rockford Files theme song--bought the album--AND the show at the time. James Garner was the truth.

I remember an SE-1X user back in the day who told me of a trip down to his basement to hunt down the pipe that his SE-1X communed with.

Very interesting CEM3340 info and retro reference...

Thanks for the praise on the Morphus--there are 23 more tracks uploaded for your listening pleasure, and about 10 more or so to come tomorrow!

MSR
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks a lot M
Off abroad tomorrow but will try to do a composition with all different Boomstars when I return.

Also want to start using them on stage.

Thanks again for making such great modules!

G
Welcome G. I performed with my brother at a house party--not that kind of house party, this one was in El Segundo--rocked the SEM and the 4075 for the 1st time with a 88 note weighted controller and a Vox Wah Wah pedal/Marshall 15-Watt Tube Amp Head combo--1st rodeo on that foot rest--and it was Hendrix/Terry Kath time. Also ran a clean signal for the 80s leads and "sax" solos... clutch. The Boomstars were made for the bright lights: everything is within reach, and radical changes can be made via the switches and said changes are speedily bound and thrown right back into their roiling lairs; whipping the "shaft" pots along the bottom is also extremely satisfying and draws out the most vibrant colors and rhythmic shocks.
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaralli View Post
How do we sign up to get the chip for the update?
Contact us at studioelectronics@sbcglobal.net and we'll sort it out.

MSR
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Dope pic Gabalonso.
Old 28th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Dope pic Gabalonso.
Old 28th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Dope pic Gabalonso.
Thanks.
Pic of a concert.
Was an incredible night. Educated crowd, great sound, outstanding musicians which are also long-standing friends...what else could I want?
Oh yes, on the night, we were all 'in the zone'....due to an overwhelming desire to play!

Really enjoying the Boomstar family!!
Feel really privileged!
Cheers
G
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks.
Was an incredible concert. Educated crowd, great sound, outstanding musicians which are also long standing friends...what else could you want?

Really enjoying the Boomstar family!!
Cheers
G
Not much more...

Happy to have you aboard!

Best,
M
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Some interesting individual bits to follow...
Thanks for all the great demos really appreciate it but im torn between a real 303 and the Boomstar 3003 and would really prefer the Boomstar for its flexibility but would really like to hear the Boomstar try and sound like a 303 to hear those swirling acid lines and rubbery 303 basses can you maybe do a demo of that please ?

sorry i just cant find a demo that shows how close a Boomstar 3003 get a to a real 303
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyklops View Post
Thanks for all the great demos really appreciate it but im torn between a real 303 and the Boomstar 3003 and would really prefer the Boomstar for its flexibility but would really like to hear the Boomstar try and sound like a 303 to hear those swirling acid lines and rubbery 303 basses can you maybe do a demo of that please ?

sorry i just cant find a demo that shows how close a Boomstar 3003 get a to a real 303
cyklops,

Thanks much for the appreciation; though I really can't see comparing the two, due to the vast feature set and obvious VCA differences, send us a .mid and suggestions for Boomstar settings and tweaks and we can give it a go.
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
cyklops,

Thanks much for the appreciation; though I really can't see comparing the two, due to the vast feature set and obvious VCA differences, send us a .mid and suggestions for Boomstar settings and tweaks and we can give it a go.
'Course you'll never get anything like this:

https://soundcloud.com/studio-electr...jima-arabeauti out of it.
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I love the demos of the 3003 that I've heard... not because it can nail a 303... but because it just sounds awesome in its own right. TBQH I've heard enough 303 squelch for a lifetime. But the 3003 sounds super fresh.
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm stelling my Boomstar SEM.
Preferably in Europe.
Pm me if interested.
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopcola View Post
I love the demos of the 3003 that I've heard... not because it can nail a 303... but because it just sounds awesome in its own right. TBQH I've heard enough 303 squelch for a lifetime. But the 3003 sounds super fresh.
Thanks for getting it b. It is called the 3003 for a reason

Life beyond "the squelch" is possible...

Speaking of bright and buzzy 3003 freshness:

https://soundcloud.com/studio-electr...t-the-boomstar

MSR
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear interested

I live in France, if i buy a Boomstar can it work on the 220v voltage of my country ?
When will the Boomstar be available in Europe ?
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Guru

It already is - Schneidersladen has the 4075 and 5089 in stock.
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
I live in France, if i buy a Boomstar can it work on the 220v voltage of my country ?
When will the Boomstar be available in Europe ?
All of our synths are auto-switching: 110-220.

M
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search