Not buying a Pan Flute? Hell, I did! :D
Old 27th August 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
AnalogGuy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Not buying a Pan Flute? Hell, I did! :D

So, I did finally something that I had in my mind for years and finally bought the real pan flute. The problem was that I was always pretty skeptic for pan flute I found for sale because, you know, most of them, the cheap ones specially, are just tourism junk. But...

I bought one from south-american importer for cheap but good quality. Nothing fancy, but far from junk. Only Minor notes, can't remember the scale, so I am missing some notes but after all for the price it great starting point for practice.

Playing pan flute is surprisingly difficult. The precise angle is so damn important. I still remember trying to play them in a shop and was only able to produce very thin and silent tones but the salesman was talented player and showed me how to play it and wow... the volume of the pan flute was incredibly loud when played right.

So, now I am a happy owner of cheap but great sound pan flute, and finally I am able to play it with somewhat good results. Sounds great with even cheap microphones.

This is my respond for those idiots not buying a pan flute. Althought I am a hardware guy, almost a synth purist, but I have always loved such acoustic instrument from the very early days. With my very tight apartment, it's great having such tiny, sweet instrument with great sound. I specially like the pan flute's funky overtones.

And yes, I am actually going to use this instrument with my songs along with my synthesizers!

Next time when I can afford, going to buy a real glockenspiel.

I am going to buy glockenspiel!
Old 27th August 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Zombie H's Avatar
 

chixdiggit
Old 28th August 2011
  #3
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
So, I did finally something that I had in my mind for years and finally bought the real pan flute. The problem was that I was always pretty skeptic for pan flute I found for sale because, you know, most of them, the cheap ones specially, are just tourism junk. But...

I bought one from south-american importer for cheap but good quality. Nothing fancy, but far from junk. Only Minor notes, can't remember the scale, so I am missing some notes but after all for the price it great starting point for practice.

Playing pan flute is surprisingly difficult. The precise angle is so damn important. I still remember trying to play them in a shop and was only able to produce very thin and silent tones but the salesman was talented player and showed me how to play it and wow... the volume of the pan flute was incredibly loud when played right.

So, now I am a happy owner of cheap but great sound pan flute, and finally I am able to play it with somewhat good results. Sounds great with even cheap microphones.

This is my respond for those idiots not buying a pan flute. Althought I am a hardware guy, almost a synth purist, but I have always loved such acoustic instrument from the very early days. With my very tight apartment, it's great having such tiny, sweet instrument with great sound. I specially like the pan flute's funky overtones.

And yes, I am actually going to use this instrument with my songs along with my synthesizers!

Next time when I can afford, going to buy a real glockenspiel.

I am going to buy glockenspiel!
i want a bagpipe but my wife says no
she also nixed drums and trumpet
too loud for use inside our house
Old 28th August 2011
  #4
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
i want a bagpipe but my wife says no
she also nixed drums and trumpet
too loud for use inside our house
Cheat on your wife with the bagpipe when she's not home. What she doesn't hear won't hurt her...
Old 28th August 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
RedTuxedo's Avatar
well hell then, start practicing....

Sorry to burden you with what a pro can do with one of these pan pipes....

It's no Zamfir (#2 for that member that never saw a Zamfir ref...)
Old 28th August 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
AnalogGuy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
Sorry to burden you with what a pro can do with one of these pan pipes....

It's no Zamfir (#2 for that member that never saw a Zamfir ref...)
Not a burden at all. I certainly know the pro players as I have dreamed about buying pan flute for long time.
Old 28th August 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 
LolrusPl's Avatar
 

Sound samples or it didn't happen.
Old 28th August 2011
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
Sorry to burden you with what a pro can do with one of these pan pipes....
Fixed that for you (read the Youtube embedding thread)
Old 28th August 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Hey, never rule out organic sounds, or your skill in sampling them. you can really come up with some great results when you start getting creative with sounds that aren't electronic. Then you can always subject them to electronic torcher
Old 28th August 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
FX23's Avatar
 

sampled panflutes are nothing like the real thing but i defo think this whole panflute movement is becomming more popular i think we'll be hearing a more aggressive panflute sound emerging from the clubs soon
Old 28th August 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
AnalogGuy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolrusPl View Post
Sound samples or it didn't happen.
Well, here you are, the attachment. I hope you bear in mind that it sucks because it was just training and the experiment with my cheap dynamic microphone and I didn't even have a pop filter.

However I used Lexicon PCM-70 and it's Concert hall preset and sounds nice.

As I told, it's surprisingly hard instrument because the angle is the key. In the beginning I am playing thru each pipe so you can hear the range of sounds it can produce. In the end, I did more percussive sounds and I just love the overtones it produces. I was even able to do vibrato/tremolo... using both ways, the breath and angle movement.
Attached Files
panflute_mic.mp3 (3.85 MB, 183 views)
Old 28th August 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
FX23's Avatar
 

Old 28th August 2011
  #13
Gear nut
 
Ki-Lab's Avatar
 

Man I want to buy a pan flute and join the revolution!
Old 29th August 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
FX23's Avatar
 

the walls of jericho
Old 29th August 2011
  #15
Gear nut
 
Philibert's Avatar
 

To the OP
Thanks! You inspired me to get a tambourine and a Harmonica!

now gearsluttiness tells me to get microphones
Old 31st August 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
FX23's Avatar
 

Old 31st August 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
AnalogGuy's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
After all, I think the best enjoyment of panflute is simply just learning a new instrument as the learning curve is not at all that steep when considering the difficulty of other acoustic instruments, like guitar, violin or trombone.

Oh, and btw it's not pan flute that I own, but Zampoña, to be precise
Old 1st September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
FX23's Avatar
 

Old 1st September 2011
  #19
Gear maniac
 
LolrusPl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
Well, here you are, the attachment. I hope you bear in mind that it sucks because it was just training and the experiment with my cheap dynamic microphone and I didn't even have a pop filter.
That was so much cooler than I expected.

Gotsa get me a pan flute now.
Old 1st September 2011
  #20
Gear nut
 

Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search