80's Electro-pop
Old 17th February 2011
Gear maniac

80's Electro-pop

I was recently re-listening to Ministry's With Sympathy album after a long while, and realized how much I loved/missed it. Seems like the album is overlooked by many and made me wonder how many of the more obscure/slightly obscure great early 80's electro-pop records flew under my radar. Anyone have any they'd like to recommend.

p.s. I read an interview a while back listing some of the gear used on that album, if I remember correctly they used a Pro-One, a Moog Source and a couple Junos.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
I was recently re-listening to Ministry's With Sympathy album after a long while, and realized how much I loved/missed it. Seems like the album is overlooked by many and made me wonder how many of the more obscure/slightly obscure great early 80's electro-pop records flew under my radar. Anyone have any they'd like to recommend.

p.s. I read an interview a while back listing some of the gear used on that album, if I remember correctly they used a Pro-One, a Moog Source and a couple Junos.
Our Daughters Wedding (ODW) from NYC was sort of neat and fairly obscure. I think I actually saw them open for someone but I cannot remember and no drugs.
Old 18th February 2011
Banned

Quote:
I was recently re-listening to Ministry's With Sympathy album after a long while, and realized how much I loved/missed it.
I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but that to me is Ministry's greatest album by a long stretch.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Oh heeeeeyyyyyyyll yeah. That album is freakin good.

A recent favorite of mine has been Chris and Cosi.

Also, I've been listening to When in Rome and Living in a Box lately, which were both produced by my old boss at Smithsonian.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear interested

HI that is definitely ministry's best record... the synth programming is so awesome on that album and the songs are brilliant... cya analog-jeff
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Listen to Severed Heads "Come Visit The Big Bigot" and "Rotund For Success"; Cabaret Voltaire's "The Crackdown", "The Covenant, The Sword And The Arm Of The Lord" and "Microphonies"... Mind blowing albums (to me at least).

I'll contradict Derp here a little , 'cause my favorite Ministry Albums are "Land Of Rape And Honey" and "Psalm 69" (I love their psycho-cyber-robo-speed-thrash-hardcore punk-industrial sound they developed after their electronic beginnings... F@$#ing "Flashback is such an awesome track).
Old 18th February 2011
Gear maniac

I agree it's a fantastic album (With Sympathy). I do love me some Twitch and Land of Rape and Honey though. Maybe Al will do a few synth-pop albums for us now that he did the guitar-stuff to death (and then some). Sort of like Smith of the Cure, why almost completely abandon all the synths/synth programming in later songwriting ? the latest Cure album was ghastly. I like Japanese Whispers !!! Expand your sound-palette again guys !!! Many of us are waiting dfegad
Old 18th February 2011
Hadn't listened to my old ministry albums in a while, just did

For me its Twitch and Land of Rape & Honey, both those albums blew me away at the time and heavily influenced me. Such a talented writer and producer. I loved a lot his side projects in the 80's too, RevCo and especially Pailhead, shame about all the speed metal afterwards...

Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Cabaret Voltaire's "The Crackdown", "The Covenant, The Sword And The Arm Of The Lord" and "Microphonies"... Mind blowing albums (to me at least).

Cabaret Voltaire's "Code" was a huge influence on me, I place that album very high on my all time electronic albums list.. Many great albums in that 86-89 era.. 242's "Front By Front", Nitzer Ebb's "Belief", Ministry's "Twitch" and "Land of Rape & Honey", Kraftwerk's "Electric Cafe", DM's "Black Celebration" and "Music for the Masses"..
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
Cabaret Voltaire's "Code" was a huge influence on me, I place that album very high on my all time electronic albums list.. Many great albums in that 86-89 era.. 242's "Front By Front", Nitzer Ebb's "Belief", Ministry's "Twitch" and "Land of Rape & Honey", Kraftwerk's "Electric Cafe", DM's "Black Celebration" and "Music for the Masses"..
Ah, and how could I forget Code, Very pop, but also very dark; definitely one of their best.
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

Just recently rediscovered this album and have to say it's one of the best from the 80s. Great mix of synths, guitars, and even some electric bass. Funky as hell at times. Can anyone confirm the synths used per above? I seem to hear SH-2 on some bass sounds like Effigy, some VP-330 strings/vox and Junos. I am almost thinking there's a JP-8 as well due to very Hungry Like Wold-sounding random arp on Say Your Sorry.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search