The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jazzmutant Lemur: Discontinued
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

JazzMutant - Multitouch controllers for audio production, live music and media performance.

"Since 2002, JazzMutant has been a acknowledged pioneer in the field of Creative Computing and Multi-touch technology, being the first-ever company to develop and bring to the market a product featuring a multi-touch screen as early as 2005. Since its market launch, the Lemur has been endorsed by a fascinating community of music and video artists. Nine Inch Nails, Richard Devine, Hot Chip, Ritchie Hawtin, Matthew Herbert, M.I.A, Mike Relm, Alva Noto, Ryuchi Sakamoto, Daft Punk, Bjork, … : The list of prestigious and influent artists who have made the Lemur their favorite pet companion on stage would be way too long to be mentioned here. Its visionary concept and groundbreaking technologies allowed the Lemur to win numerous international press awards and was recently elected “Innovation of the decade” by Future Music.

During five years and despite the new fever surrounding touch technologies, the Lemur remained the only Multi-touch device capable to meet the needs of creative people. From now on, this ecosystem is evolving quickly : powerful consumer tablet devices are becoming mainstream, bringing the power of multi-touch to everyone. In the meantime, JazzMutant, renamed Stantum in 2007, has become a technology-centric company and developed partnerships with tier-one industrial partners to speed up this democratization. As a result, the need for a high-end dedicated hardware is doomed to vanish in the near future. This is why Stantum is announcing today that it will close its JazzMutant activity unit and stop selling its legendary Lemur Multi-touch hardware controller at the end of December while the stock lasts! The last batch of Lemurs just came out of the factory. These very last units are now available at a special discounted price from JazzMutant’s webstore and from its authorized distributors and retailers. These very last units are now available with 25% discount! Moreover, the Dexter App and an original Lemur T-shirt will come along for free. Don’t miss this last opportunity and grab the legendary Lemur from authorized retailers while the stock last! The Technical support and after sale service will be handled until December 31, 2011. The jazzmutant website will stay online in order to let the user community access support resources and share their projects.

We would like to thank all the people involved in this fantastic adventure: first of all the user community which exceeded our wildest expectations in creating the most amazing templates; our devoted resellers, who helped us to show the Lemurs all over the world; finallymusic software editors for their support."

Glad I returned mine when the iPad was released. They shoulda made an iPad App out of it.
Old 15th November 2010
Gear addict

I was wondering when this would happen. Maybe they can have a renewed focus on some awesome software and apps for the new wave of consumer tablets.
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Guru

Glad they saw when it was time to throw in the towel without having to wait for a chapter 11.

Ideally they should GPL the software after the last ones have been sold; all that IP that's been developed will be sitting there doing nothing otherwise, and if there are still bugs owners will be out of luck. Windows ? or OS 10.? comes along, and in the worst case that Lemur will be an once-expensive paperweight - and that's not a great parting note.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Glad they saw when it was time to throw in the towel without having to wait for a chapter 11.

Ideally they should GPL the software after the last ones have been sold; all that IP that's been developed will be sitting there doing nothing otherwise, and if there are still bugs owners will be out of luck. Windows ? or OS 10.? comes along, and in the worst case that Lemur will be an once-expensive paperweight - and that's not a great parting note.
they are continuing to develop the software according to the FAQ. i guess they will find ways to apply it to future 3rd party devices which is probably what the "partnerships" are about. just guessing on that though.

they say the current software is the final version for the lemurs. also in the FAQ
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Nut

Completely not surprised by this news. What does irk me though is that Jazzmutant promised that they would fix the ridiculous key command bugs over a year ago and never did. As someone who owns Lemur serial #123 I can wholeheartedly say f**k Jazzmutant!!!
Old 15th November 2010
Gear maniac

Too expensive, too difficult and time consuming to program, not surprising that the Jazzmutant Lemur is done. Sort of sad though because those controllers really were pretty amazing once you figured out how to work the damn things.
Old 15th November 2010
time for them to make an app for the iPad/iPhone!
Old 15th November 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

You guys should appreciate what they have done... This guys had the balls to make something amazing and develop it 8 years ago and did it well. They had it for sale for 5 years with only software revisions and updates... that in IT years is a CENTURY...

The emergence of iPad was just a matter of time... I still ain't conviced about one as I am with a dedicated solution as a Lemur... and some of the layouts out there are amazing..

The big price tag and only niche use killed it.. that's the story to it.

The guys that made the iPhone could have just played with a Lemur and saw the future in a amazing UI.... so there you go.. I mean they practically showed everyone else how to do it.. so they do trully deserve your support if you don't feel good being an early adopter don't be one (aimed at the post above dissing the company)...

Just watch the monome vs Apc40 vs Launchpad... same stuff...

The only thing that saved the monome from the same faith was their more down to earth price (considering no mass-made-in-china stuff) and amazing DIY software and support from the community...

I played with APC and it's a cool unit... a monome? never.. some users of the monome returned the APC or Launchpad after compairing them head to head with the monome.

The quality of the build of the monome is amazing.. as same is the love and time invested in it.. and the support is better than most of the things I ask support for... It's community driven more because imediately as a problem appears there are guys who are there to help you and don't leave time for the makers to respond....

The reason I mention this is because I have the same feeling about the Lemur vs iPad thing.... but only used the iPhone Touch OSC (and as a full disclosure worked pretty well.. not perfect but good enough) so can't state any hands on compairing as with the monome.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

So maybe the Ipad killed Lemur in it's current form. But there's still a chance it will come out as an IPAD ap.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Too expensive!
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Too expensive!
Yes! Maybe they should have used their innovative creativity towards a model that more people could afford. Instead they managed to put themselfes into a situation with no time left to even try to compete with the iPad.

A new development that runs on the iPad would be great.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Yes! Maybe they should have used their innovative creativity towards a model that more people could afford. Instead they managed to put themselfes into a situation with no time left to even try to compete with the iPad.

A new development that runs on the iPad would be great.
They would never be able to compete with the ipad on a $ level.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear addict

I could never understand the price of this thing.

It's much cheaper to just buy a touchscreen.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

it was spendy but think about when they launched. it was years ago.

and yeah, it was still spendy considering all that but it's an esoteric niche product.

i mean, look how expensive the haken continuum is. but that still sells enough to stay in business.

there will always be spendy niche products out there until a cheaper mass produced option comes along. obviously this is what has happened and the jazzmutant people are smart enough to be aware of the writing on the wall.
Old 16th November 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
time for them to make an app for the iPad/iPhone!
Exactly...

The ipad costs 3 times less, and does 100 times more things... and it's portable.

The only thing apple still has to figure out it being able to send OSC/Midi over usb.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
Exactly...

The ipad costs 3 times less, and does 100 times more things... and it's portable.

The only thing apple still has to figure out it being able to send OSC/Midi over usb.
did anyone actually read the press release?
Quote:
During five years and despite the new fever surrounding touch technologies, the Lemur remained the only Multi-touch device capable to meet the needs of creative people. From now on, this ecosystem is evolving quickly : powerful consumer tablet devices are becoming mainstream, bringing the power of multi-touch to everyone. In the meantime, JazzMutant, renamed Stantum in 2007, has become a technology-centric company and developed partnerships with tier-one industrial partners to speed up this democratization. As a result, the need for a high-end dedicated hardware is doomed to vanish in the near future.
JazzMutant - Message

from the FAQ
Quote:
1. What will be the future of the company? Is Jazzmutant planning to launch any new hardware/ software versions next year?

JazzMutant, renamed Stantum in 2007, has become a technology-centric company and developed partnerships with tier-one industrial partners. The company will focus all its efforts on R&D projects in order to remain the pioneer on the multi touch technology market. The JazzMutant division will cease to exist on January the 1st 2011. All commercial, marketing and development activities related to the JazzMutant music product will not be continued after this date. That naturally means that there will not be any new product under the JazzMutant brand in the future. Technical support and after sales service will be continued until the January the 1st 2012.

10. Is there a chance to see the Lemur code become open-source?

The Lemur application is based on a proprietary API (Application Program Interface), which Stantum is permanently developing and which we use for most of our on-going software projects. As far as we have no plan to make this API publicly available, the Lemur app is unlikely to become open-source anytime soon.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear addict

Well I've used the heck out of mine, and it isn't THAT hard to program. A great shame but the iPad pretty much nailed the coffin shut. Still, I'm happy with mine and will be until it keels over.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear addict

Plus...a sad day in the longrun, they saw the future way before anybody else did in terms of what you can do with the technology in the audio domain.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Maniac

ok. now in this area (multitouch controllers) as well we're exposed to apple. they can and will now dictate what we're allowed to do and run.

i guess that's what the ipad fanboys wanted anyway, right?

i'm thinking of getting another cheap lemur now.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear maniac

It just so happens that iOS 4.2, said to be out within the next 2 weeks for the iPad, will apparently feature MIDI support.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they'll be working on an iPad app right now which makes use of the new support, thus the announcement. The only snag, for them, is so will dozens of other devs.
Old 16th November 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
ok. now in this area (multitouch controllers) as well we're exposed to apple. they can and will now dictate what we're allowed to do and run.
Yeah Apple are bit paranoid, but honestly I don't know of any music production app that rejected from the app store...

TouchOSC is there, Midipad will be there when they finish the development, etc.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Hooo I'm sad for Stephan Bodzin and his 3mur....
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:

$850 shipped in the U.S. or $900 international takes mine.
Old 16th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
You might want to check out this video of the Pianist Pro app being used as a MIDI controller via USB connection:
YouTube - USB MIDI on the iPad
It also supports the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer along with an increasing number of apps.

And then of course, there's iConnectMIDI:

Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
You might want to check out this video of the Pianist Pro app being used as a MIDI controller via USB connection:
YouTube - USB MIDI on the iPad
It also supports the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer along with an increasing number of apps.

And then of course, there's iConnectMIDI:

Those both have MIDI covered but not OSC. That requires LAN connectivity.
Old 16th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
Those both have MIDI covered but not OSC. That requires LAN connectivity.
Yes, I was talking about MIDI not OSC.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:

While I usually agree with this sentiment, mentioning it in the same breath as the completely-closed and one-trick-pony that is the Lemur is HILARIOUSLY IRONIC!!!

Yes, that mean, evil, ****ty, tyrannical Apple...DICTATING WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR HARDWARE!!!!!!!!

Old 16th November 2010

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search