The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Juno 60 / Dim D / Dim C shootout
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Head

Juno 60 / Dim D / Dim C shootout

Here's a tiny comparison of some of Roland's chorus devices! The synth sweep is played on my sweet, sweet Juno-60. I know this is a really limited test, but hopefully some of you will find the clips useful!

DRY

JUNO-60 INTERNAL CHORUS

DIMENSION D

DIMENSION C

SBF-325
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you for the comparison

I actually like the Juno-60 onboard chorus the best out of all these!
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

I think I like Dimension D setting 4 the best -- but only by the slimmest of margins over setting 2 on the Juno 60. So I'll just stick with the latter for now

Thanks for sharing.
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Thank you for the comparison

I actually like the Juno-60 onboard chorus the best out of all these!
Lol yeah same here - in this application! It is very thick and syrupy, which can be great, or not, depending on the source and the available sonic real estate in the mix. Nothing like it for those ultralush sweeping pads though! Yum!
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear maniac

thank you very much for this!
the built-in one is my favourite.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

roland def knew what they were doing when they put that chorus on the juno 60...when used right it really is pretty amazing...although i'm always amazed how nice the juno sounds without it when i'm making patches
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Addict
Well one thing for sure, you can see and hear a chorus-ed noisefloor breathing on the Juno once the sound decays.

I've never quite understood why recent internet debate over the Juno chorus focuses on Rolands high end, loaded with parts, Dimension D rack unit. That's a subtle, multiple BBD based sound meant as I understand it to widen a stereo image. I would think the goal of the Juno was to compensate for it's single DCO being used when higher end synths used a pair of VCOs. So the chorus I'd think was supposed to add some thickness you'd get with detuned VCOs. I doubt they are a match, but I'd think a fixed low stereo setting on something like the Boss CE3 would make more sense as something closer

oh, fwiw, those wanting a cheap sort of like a Dimension C, the Behringer Chorus Space-C CC300 seems to be an analog low cost approximation. How close or not close it comes of course has to be tempered with the $30 or so retail price.
Old 3rd October 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Enjoy.
Attached Files

Sweep SDX-330 Dimension D.wav (1.03 MB, 2076 views)

Sweep SDX-330 CE-2.wav (1.03 MB, 1945 views)

Sweep SDX-330 16 Phase Chorus.wav (1.03 MB, 1954 views)

Sweep SDX-330 Stereo 3D Chorus.wav (1.03 MB, 1843 views)

Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

I liked the Juno-60 chorus the most, but perhaps it's because it is what I'm used to hearing.

If I get time I'll contribute to this thread later on, comparing the Juno-6's chorus to the Juno-6 through an RS-09's chorus/ensemble.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

cool! thumbsup
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear maniac

I know it doesn't pertain to the above samples but so far my favorite Roland choruses have been in the RS-202 and the Jupiter 4. I don't know the exact chips used and they might even use the same ones but so far they seem to have the perfect depth to me. I prefer the Juno 60 onboard in this situation and i think it's doing the heaviest modulating, benefiting the Juno immensely (it sounds very thing without it).

The Behringer pedals do sound really nice. The CC300 is extremely subtle, not a decent substitution for onboard chorus. The CD400 is very bright and sparkly sounding; great for arpeggios but not so great for bass. Seemingly high failure rate on the behringers, though...
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Superb post. and a great help as regards to my Dimension D thread. thumbsup

Oddly, from all your examples, the Dimension C, setting 4 was the one for me. (although I listening through crappy netbook speakers at the mo)
Old 3rd October 2010
thanks OP!

the dimension D is quite subtle. it does sound like the UAD version.

wonder if someone can post some dimension D vocal examples?.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Excellent thread.

First to mention J.... or A.... gets shot.
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear addict

What a great Post! Thanks! but is the dimension C Clipping? I really like the d setting 2 ... It was a bit subtler than the 60's chorus. They're all bloody good though.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear
For me, Juno onboard chorus sounds best. Then the 2nd example from Dimension D. Great comparison, thanks!
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

One of the things these clips show is that you don't need to drop a fortune on either a boring and overhyped Jupiter 8 or an ugly and digital-sounding Andromeda to get some great sounds.

heh
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear maniac

Does the 106 have a Dim-D like chorus? I've got one right here. Kinda sounds like the ocean though lol.
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

It might be possible to monitor the effects live on a Roland VP-9000.
if you can do that, that should be good. they should have a great set of roland FX in those and lots of the different Roland Chorus's including the The D. They are very good too if the V-Synth is anything to go by.

you can do that via the live inputs on a V-Synth but sadly it's not possible to get live through on a Roland VariOS. :/

Some of the Roland Hard Disk recorders have a good bunch of Roland effects in them too. you can also add cards to them. but I'm not sure how many types of FX they have in those.

From what I remember the D was used to widen the sound field in mixes so it left more space for the things in the center of the mix. and to do that without it sounding like the effected sound was obviously chorused.
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
It might be possible to monitor the effects live on a Roland VP-9000.
if you can do that, that should be good. they should have a great set of roland FX in those and lots of the different Roland Chorus's including the The D. They are very good too if the V-Synth is anything to go by.

you can do that via the live inputs on a V-Synth but sadly it's not possible to get live through on a Roland VariOS. :/

Some of the Roland Hard Disk recorders have a good bunch of Roland effects in them too. you can also add cards to them. but I'm not sure how many types of FX they have in those.

From what I remember the D was used to widen the sound field in mixes so it left more space for the things in the center of the mix. and to do that without it sounding like the effected sound was obviously chorused.
I wouldn't count on the digital recreations of these to deliver the goods. I have a V-synth now, and used to have a VS-2480 (harddisk recorder). Their built-in effects are good in their own right, but none of them come close to the real deal, IMO.

To whoever pointed out that the Dim C is clipping; yeah, there was some weird clipping noise going on. I think either the output jacks are dirty or the battery was at fault. I don't know really, I will have to check it out.
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

EDIT: Now with combined chorus.
Here is a comparison of the Juno-6's chorus and the RS-09's chorus sounds
Sounds in order:
1. 'Dry' Juno 6
2. Juno 6 chorus I
3. Juno 6 chorus II
4. Juno 6 through RS-09's chorus I
5. Juno 6 through RS-09's chorus II
6. Juno chorus I through RS-09 chorus I
7. Juno chorus II through RS-09 chorus I
8. Juno chorus I + II through RS-09 chorus I
9. Juno chorus I through RS-09 chorus II
10. Juno chorus II through RS-09 chorus II
11. Juno chorus I + II through RS-09 chorus II

Old 4th October 2010
Gear Guru

Can you add just one small snippet to the demo where you enable both the RS-09's chorus and the Juno's chorus?

I should hook my Juno up to the Behringer Dimension D clone pedal that I have, too.
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Can you add just one small snippet to the demo where you enable both the RS-09's chorus and the Juno's chorus?

I should hook my Juno up to the Behringer Dimension D clone pedal that I have, too.
Sure thing. Give me half an hour. I've got some stuff to do..
Old 4th October 2010
Gear Addict

Damn you all. This thread is making me want to buy a Juno.
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Done. See the original post #21
Old 4th October 2010
well dimension D and chorus are two different effects, and serve different situations. which is quite obvious from the examples.

Juno chorus sounds very um.. chorusey?, and quite an obvious/electronic sounding version of one. i do prefer some other, more natural choruses much more, like CE-2, JX8/10 on-board chorus, or diamond halo etc.

Dimension D in its first example is just phenomenal, if you want widening to stereo field plus subtle thickening, without the obvious effect. second example has more modulation, but again it sounds more organic than typical uniform/predictable chorus like junos. and is also well blended with the source , without taking over.

to the users of JH dimension D... how close is it to the original in sound ?

i know JH always uses some newer BBD chips like TDA in his clone circuits.. which sound very different from the Panasonic/Mitsubishi stuff that Roland used.

what i'd really like to make, with original chips is a clone of ensemble chorus form Synthex. i think that's one of the best ensembles, warmest smoothest and magical at the same time. that and original solina/eminent stuff.
Old 4th October 2010
Here's some UAD plug in tests for you.

UAD DIMENSION D plug on setting 1:

UAD DIMENSION D plug on setting 4:

UAD DIMENSION D plug on setting ALL:

UAD Roland Chorus Ensemble plug on setting classic, medium intensity:

UAD Roland Chorus Ensemble plug on setting classic, full intensity:

UAD Roland Chorus Ensemble plug on setting classic, vibrato, medium depth:

it's interesting to note here that i COULD NOT mix down in 'dual mode' only classic, for some buggy reason the thing kept switching back to classic mode. i even tried automating it, which worked fine until export mixdown.

it may be because i was using the automapped version. no idea... i'm on cubase 4.5.2

2 examples of the UAD stock chorus here. very, very powerful. so many settings, 3 different chorus algorithms not to mention all the very chorusy and flangy delays you can get out of it...

Old 4th October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Done. See the original post #21
Wow. Juno chorus I through RS chorus I is great. Thanks!
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

Nice one Golden beers thumbsup

Thanks for posting those examples.
Old 14th October 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Nice one Golden beers thumbsup

Thanks for posting those examples.

I agree, but with vsts I can't play live. I only can mix.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search