The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need to turn" pop" song into dance/club. what should the min bpm be?
Old 7th September 2010
Gear Head

need to turn" pop" song into dance/club. what should the min bpm be?

A good friend of mine is playing at an event and needs his pop songs more "danceable." His songs range from 80-90 bpm and he wants a 4/4 kick. Normally i would just warp it and be fine. But he is goin to play some instruments live and sing on top of it. Im a little skeptical in the idea, but he is admit on it. What's ur opinion on the min and/or max bpm i should go to.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

120-128bpm

For anything in the lower 80's you might want to bring the tempo down to double time it. 80 - 16 = 64 x 2 = 128.
Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

127 is disco heaven.
Old 7th September 2010
115-125 for a chilled house vibe, might be easier said than done, as that amount of warping probably won't be subtle!

Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Some pop/dance songs are slower than you might think. I know lots of slow but pumpy hip-hop tracks. But otherwise yes, at least 115+. If it's less than 120, he better have a big moving bassline underneath.
Old 7th September 2010
Gear Nut

I DJ on weekends and most of the best dance stuff is in the upper range of the 120s: Sexy Chick (David Guetta) I Gotta Feeling (BEPs) I'm In Miami Bitch (LMFAO) Hotel Room Service (Pitbull) Right Round (Flo Rida) Whine Up (Kat Deluna) I'm The Ish (DJ Class) ...

But there's great dance stuff between 80 and 90 too. Often these are 1/16 type beats. Drop It Low (Ester Dean) is 88 and is a go-to track that I can always count on to fill the dance floor.

Replay is another example at 90:

Old 7th September 2010
Lives for gear

Old 8th September 2010
WDM
Lives for gear

Most of the trance is on 135-139 bpm.
~70 bpm original song could be easily converted to ~140 bpm with 4x4 beat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search