The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg NanoPad stuck pads: how to fix
Old 19th April 2010
Airwindows

Korg NanoPad stuck pads: how to fix

I just lost a couple hours to this, so I thought I'd make a post (I'd searched for fixes with no luck before solving the problem on my own). Courtesy of Chris from Airwindows

I bought some Korg nano-things, and have had some problems. Getting Logic to work w. the NanoKontrol is strictly my problem- I can see it sending MIDI so teaching Logic to listen is the next project. NanoKey didn't ship broken and didn't have any problems that I can see, apart from it'll fall apart easily, but I knew the risks. Then there was NanoPad...

People are saying fairly nice things about this, but mine was broken out of the box. It behaved like there was huge crosstalk between various pads, and the one on the bottom right was jammed on. I could lift it and release the pad, but then if I let go, it sounded again, and it tended to sound sympathetically when other pads were struck.

The little rubber feet hide screws, and if you've got the requisite tiny screwdriver, remove the bottom of the device. You see a circuit board and a plate- note that the USB jack looks like a surface-mount part, which is insane, but will teach you to handle it like it was held on only by solder (which I think it is- didn't try to remove it to see).

There's screws on the plate, which hold it down onto the rubber pads and the top of the device. If you remove those, you can get at the guts of the trigger pads.

Turns out my problem was caused by a big straight black hair, stuck directly across the pad in question. These things go together with such tight tolerances, that if there's debris inside the pad section, it won't work right- and there is debris inside the pad system

Cleaning that up should fix the problem- I went one better and put strips of electrical tape neatly surrounding the pad switches, lifting the pads up a tiny bit. Don't sit things on top of the pads or they'll start squishing the switches on their own, causing the same problem. I put the device back together- and it worked without a problem. Fixed.

I can't be annoyed at the hair, because for all I know the worker was suffering beatings to assemble korg gear faster, and I'm lucky there wasn't blood to go along with the hair and debris. I guess even though so much stuff is assembled in China, when you go for this type of budget gear you're really enabling the race to the bottom thing. I hope it's just shoddy assembly and debris in sensitive electronic parts, because it's certainly that, whatever else it is.

My NanoPad is working now, and I suspect that I'll be able to kluge together whatever else goes wrong with each respective nano-thing, perhaps even the keys of the nano-key.

If you've got sticking pads- check for debris that you wouldn't expect to be inside the pad mechanism, and I'll bet you find the answer
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Addict

I know your post is a little old, but I was wondering where exactly you placed the electrical tape.

I took my nanoPAD apart and cleaned the pads with alcohol; I didn't find any actual debris. I'm still getting pads sticking.

Hope you're still subscribed to this thread.

Thanks.
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxd Ped View Post
I'm still getting pads sticking.

Hope you're still subscribed to this thread.

Thanks.
You're not the only one - I picked up the set as I'm going on holiday and wanted something small to toss in my bag to sketch any ideas quickly. Out of the box, I got.....

A hugely sensitive NanoPad - it only seems to work consistently if I hold it upside down with one hand while playing. At least three of the pads regularly stick.

A NanoKey which worked once on plug in. And I mean once. I played a one-octave scale on it. From then on, a third of the keys wouldn't work.

I didn't expect greatness, I just wanted basic functionality for noodling while on holiday. This is beyond a joke though, it's not even a toy, it's less functional than a toy!

Seriously not impressed with Korg, they dropped the ball big time on this (yeah, I know it's cheap, but how many people have bought one or more of these only to have major problems with it?)
Old 14th June 2010
Gear interested

Hello forum!

After having the same problems with the nano pad, quite some time after buying it, i decided to open it, and look around how to solve the stucking pads error.

So, on the first picture you see the nano pad disassembled and upside down. My idea was to lift up the whole padmat a little bit, to create more space between the pad and the foilswitches, when you release a pressed pad. As you can see the backside of the padmat, i already cutted thin stripes of cardboard and glued it to the borders around every pad. The cardboard shouldn't be too thick and to thin, around some 1-2mm should be ok.

At the end, the padmat should look like this:

Let the glue dry properly, and assemble the nano pad again.

This quick and dirty modification lets you use the nano pad again properly, without the problem with the stucked pads. Of course there is no guarantee this fix will work forever. But i found mine working again now for few weeks in Traktor & Ableton and it works like a charm.

Hope this will help some of you who like this cheap little toy. Have fun!
Old 9th July 2010
Gear interested

NahNoPad

Great price! Looked ok. Felt like better than a toy on arrival. Only triggers 2 and 6 worked. Pressing Roll button and swiping the X-Y pad resulted in note on's when no trigger was being touched.

Thanks to great customer service @ sweetwater, another arrived.

Same problem, but with only triggers 3 and 6 working. Well at least they've got trigger 6 working on two of these things :-)

Then I found this very helpful post. I lifted the corners of each of the triggers, and three more of the triggers worked. The others would not work no matter what I tried.

There is a definite manufacturing defect with these things. Korg may be in for a class action suit if they don't get this straight quickly.

So, both nanoPads have been returned. I'm moving on to something else for triggering.
Old 12th July 2010
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid debris View Post
This quick and dirty modification lets you use the nano pad again properly, without the problem with the stucked pads. Of course there is no guarantee this fix will work forever. But i found mine working again now for few weeks in Traktor & Ableton and it works like a charm.

Hope this will help some of you who like this cheap little toy. Have fun!
This is what I did, too mind you, I haven't checked it lately, so it could have gone bad again. I would say any storage with anything resting on any pads or keys is guaranteed trouble

I'm getting good use out of the NanoMix mini control surface, though it's a hassle to set up with Logic. I did a whole elaborate setup with tricks like 'mute button swaps pan from side to side when you hit it' and the computer ate it. But that's just control surface headaches- I ended up just assigning faders to volume, pan, and two auxes, for the selected channel, and running automation passes for instruments (grouping stereo tracks to get them to match).

If I could do it over again- wow. I would never get the NanoPad or the NanoKey. So fragile and cheap considering what you pay. They'd be a bargain- at 9.99$.
Old 12th July 2010
Gear nut

Ouch, I can happily confirm that the akai LPD8 seems to be a hell of a lot sturdier than the nanopad, although like the nanopad, be careful with the USB connector mount, those damn things are so fragile, and if you rip em out, you're up for a new unit (unless you can solder like a robot).. on the other hand the nanokontrol (or mix) is awesome though.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Having the same problems with mine, it's just arrived.

Triggers 1,2,3,5 no response with trigger 4 ocassional. Shame really because from the pads that do work I can tell this is exactly what I was after.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I
I bought some Korg nano-things, and have had some problems. Getting Logic to work w. the NanoKontrol is strictly my problem
Check here for the nanoKONTROL Logic and Ableton fixes, press the nano software tab on the right (in grey) for various software fixes:
KORG nano Controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Then there was NanoPad...

People are saying fairly nice things about this, but mine was broken out of the box. It behaved like there was huge crosstalk between various pads, and the one on the bottom right was jammed on. I could lift it and release the pad, but then if I let go, it sounded again, and it tended to sound sympathetically when other pads were struck.

Turns out my problem was caused by a big straight black hair, stuck directly across the pad in question. These things go together with such tight tolerances, that if there's debris inside the pad section, it won't work right- and there is debris inside the pad system

Cleaning that up should fix the problem- I went one better and put strips of electrical tape neatly surrounding the pad switches, lifting the pads up a tiny bit. Don't sit things on top of the pads or they'll start squishing the switches on their own, causing the same problem. I put the device back together- and it worked without a problem. Fixed.

If you've got sticking pads- check for debris that you wouldn't expect to be inside the pad mechanism, and I'll bet you find the answer

re: cleaning the nano pad. I've got 1 pad working when it feels like, and 1 pad working intermittently, & the rest mostly work all of the time. In reason I put it through a basic midi control check (looked to see if the light is on/off when I pressed!) & some times it just doesn't!

Fluid_Debris put a picture up of their cardboard & glue fix, which is great, I'll possibly be trying that later.
However, what type of solution did you use to to clean the triggers? Did you clean them with cotton buds?

For me its a toss up between returning it for a new one (2 weeks wait on the outside, & then will it even work?) or just attempting to fix this one...

Any help?
Cheers
Bob
Old 14th January 2011
Gear interested

it worked

I did the cardboard thing, didn't even need glue! They now 'work how they should'. I mean, they're still a little un-responsive, but what do you expect for £30 eh!
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Addict

my nanopad worked for like a week...now it barely works...it saw less than an hour of actual usage...really annoying...i dont even know if i should spend time taking it apart.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear interested

Oh man, I am so glad to have found this thread. I just purchased a used nanoPad that was labeled defective, got it for next to nothing though. From what I have gathered in this thread, it seems all of the pads are stuck. The XY touch pad works great, but non of the pads. I took it apart, and noticed the black contact squares under the white pads seem to be concaved in, as if something was sitting on top of the nanoPad for some time. Also, I unplugged the ribbon cable that goes to the pads. With the nanopad on, I plugged it back in and all the pads hit once, which I think would happen if all were stuck. I managed to peel that flexible circuit board from the metal it is glued to, and am thinking I could fix it if I could peel the two circuit layers apart. Has anyone ever done this? I am thinking I could heat it gently with a hair dryer to make it easier to separate.

Jive
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

These Korg Nano things simply suck. I had both the pads and keys. Both failed horribly. Don't waste your time or money. Pick up the Akai LPK25 and MPD18. Much better build quality and they actually work as intended. I did modify the pads for better responsiveness on the MPD18.

I do apologize for venting my frustrations on this thread. I guess that I expected a little too much from the Nano series. The truth is, I though that I would use these new "mobile" controllers more than I actually have. These tiny keyboards do absoloutly nothing for me. Kind of makes my whole post a moot point...huh. I still say that the Akai's are a lot better.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear interested

The nanoPad looks to me like just a horrible design. Seems like over time the weight of the pads would eventually short the switches. Granted, I am just starting out and do not know much, but I did order an Akai LPD8. I am hoping it is a bit better!

Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
These Korg Nano things simply suck. I had both the pads and keys. Both failed horribly. Don't waste your time or money. Pick up the Akai LPK25 and MPD18. Much better build quality and they actually work as intended. I did modify the pads for better responsiveness on the MPD18.

I do apologize for venting my frustrations on this thread. I guess that I expected a little too much from the Nano series. The truth is, I though that I would use these new "mobile" controllers more than I actually have. These tiny keyboards do absoloutly nothing for me. Kind of makes my whole post a moot point...huh. I still say that the Akai's are a lot better.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear interested

Revived the nanoPAD!

Finally found a way to fix any dead pads, or in my case, all the pads, and it only takes about 30 minutes or so. It also may prevent the pads from going out/sticking, but time will tell on that. Perhaps doing this, and putting shims in, like chrisj described will finally eliminate the nanoPAD issues. The problem is with the space in the FSR sensors under the pads. Here is some info on FSR sensors, to get an idea what you are dealing with:

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/fsr.html

Here is what I did:

Take the unit apart (of course!). You'll be working with the bottom sensor area that is under the pads. This has a ribbon cable going to it, as well as a copper tape strip. Carefully peel off the strip from the metal casing, and them unplug the ribbon cable. This has a little latch that you can slide forward to unplug it. Once that is separate, you need to peel off the sensor pad from the metal casing. What I did was slide an Xacto blade under one end and slowly peel it up. NOTE: It may be possible to leave the pad on the metal but I didn't. Now comes the semi-tricky part. The sensor strip consists of a lower layer, and a top layer. These need to be separated. Again, I used an Xacto blade to carefully work into one corner. It will peel apart, but it may be a bit stubborn. Try as best you can to go slow, as you want to minimize bending the top layer. Mine was really curled when I was done, but it didn't affect anything. Once these are apart, you need to work on the bottom layer. Here is what mine looked like:

Picasa Web Albums - Marc - nanoPAD

Notice the copper squares. You will see each one has 4 little blobs on each corner, except the one in the top left. That one is how it is stock. Stock, they have 4 very small nubs on each corner of the pad. Either these wear down, or the top layer bends down over time, and that creates a dead or stuck pad. What I did was take some thin CA (super glue), and using a small stick pin, I placed 4 dots of glue on each corner over the stock nubs. This creates a bigger space in between the contacts, thus restoring the pads. Make sure the glue is dry, and hard to the touch before you reassemble everything. Try and line up the top layer with the bottom. They should stick back together well, as the glue stays sticky. Even if the top layer became curled, like mine, the glue will still hold it fairly flat. Once everything is screwed down, it becomes flat anyhow. Make sure you plug back the ribbon cable, and slide the lock switch back on that connector. And don't forget to re-stick the copper tape back to the metal chassis. Here is another pic that shows the CA dots, next to the smaller stock dots:

Picasa Web Albums - Marc - nanoPAD

Mine was completely dead, and now works like new. Good luck, and any questions, feel free to contact me!

Jive

Last edited by Jive; 23rd January 2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: New info
Old 1st February 2011
Gear interested

hey thanks a million Jive...it definitely worked for me mine was completely dead and now like you said it's brand new...thanks again
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear addict

**** the nanopad
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear
Easier solution: dump the nanopad, get an Akai MPD18. It only costs an extra $20 but it's much sturdier and more reliable.
Old 27th February 2011
Here for the gear

Fix your dead NanoPad

Old 19th January 2012
Gear interested

Old 14th February 2012
Gear interested

FIXED!!

Very cool. Followed this video and fixed my NanoPad.

Thanks for the help!
Old 16th May 2012
Gear interested

Just registered to say thank you for this post! You all saved me a lengthy return process!
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipede View Post
Very cool. Followed this video and fixed my NanoPad.

Thanks for the help!
Just edited your post to have the video embedded…
Old 5th June 2012
Gear interested

Thanks

A huge thank you to all who posted the use tube vide fix. I was going nuts after exchanging my first nano pad and having the same non responsive pad problems looking everywhere thinking it could be driver issues or something. Just stuck pads. very easy fix. Awesome
Old 27th December 2012
Here for the gear

Old 17th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobco631 View Post
This video, isn't private, and worked for me...
Korg nanoPAD- Unresponsive Pad Fix - YouTube
Worked for me as well - all eight pads basically dead (after one or two brief uses and a couple years sitting idle in storage), now all working fine.

Given that the first part of this thread is all about shimming and supplementing bits with glue and everything else, I was surprised that simply peeling the two layers of the switch "decal" apart and slamming them back together (per the video above) worked perfectly. Took all of ten minutes, no materials / shimming / blah needed, just a basic disassembly / reassembly and now all eight pads are back to perfect sensitivity. We'll see how long this lasts.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

I'm thinking about getting the nanopad 2.... does this same problem still exist in the new generation?
Old 25th February 2013
Gear interested

recenntly, I've been given an old Korg nanoPad from a friend and it didn't work. He said that's how it was from the beggining. He thought, I might be able to salvage some usefull stuff for my. As I figured out after unpluging the pads from the controller board the board itself was working fine, I even managed to make external gate inputs to make my Ableton Live get info from my analog stuff .

The way most people did fix their pads did not work with me, but wen I ripped the foils appart it suddenly strted working when i touched it with screwdriver.

So: I've cut out a rectangle from a bit thicker foil, cut out twelve squares in it, where the pads are and of course holes for the screws; put it back togather (the glue between original foils spread in parts on both sides was just enough)
and it works perfect - you have to strike the pads a little which makes them more pads then touch-sensors and they don't stick. Not ever again!

ps.: for those who want to play around with the device: on the ribbon cable attaching the pads to the board the two lines on both sides are providing 5V to the pads and the twelve inner are gate inputs switching on from about 3.5V (so a diode wired OR gate might be used to combine multiple inputs like internal pads and aux ins)
have fun
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear interested

Ive been searching for a solution to this problem .... (Just unboxed my 4 yo nanopad - never opened , in the box and packing bubble wrap ... And NONE of the pads work .... )

Before i start opening it up and trying to decide whether to shimm it or just do the seperate-glueback fix .... What is the "private video"'s ( YouTube) name (might be able to find it in other ways ...)

Can anyone tell me what is the solution performed in that vid ?
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear interested

P.s.

SHAME ON KORG !!!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search