Monitors lower than 50 Hz
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Head

Monitors lower than 50 Hz

I'm making electronic music and i want to buy a new pair of Dynaudio BM5a speakers, but i wrote that they only can go down to 50 Hz.
Is this a big problem for mixing my music? I normaly cut everything below 40. Or is the BM6a a better choise because they can all away down to 40 Hz (the same as all the expensive ones!)?

Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Those speakers look great for post production/video edit suites.

For producing EDM though you'd really want full range monitors.

5" is toooo small... size does matter ;-)

Do yourself a favor, buy a pair of HS80m... then go for a nice tour around Egypt with the change left in your pocket.

Your resultant mixes will sound better.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Originally Posted by mameboy View Post
I normaly cut everything below 40.
That doesn't say much. It all depends on how steep the highpass filter is (or in other words how it was spec'd from the manufacturer/designer). With my Manley massive passive I cut below 39 KHz too, but that's a 18dB/oct filter which means that some signal will pass through, although attenuated.

There is hardly any useful information below 30 Hz even for heavy-bass music. You might get a 5% extra something in a club but in a car stereo? Your choice.
Old 16th March 2010

Try some PMC TB2's.
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

My basslines tend to be centered around 40Hz.

I'm often giving the EQ a boost in the region of 30 Hz.

IMO its often the very lowest frequencies (or lack of) that make or break an EDM track.
Old 16th March 2010
Gear addict
i´ve got a pair of focal solo 6s which i really like for their lowend...
in fact i like the lowend so much i tend to over do it
it´s not that i don´t hear that i´m mixing with a lot of lowend, it´s just that most speakers of that size really crap out at such amounts of lowend.
maybe i should get a sub and turn it up a little to much, to compensate for my taste for to much lowend...

on topic again: the bm5as suck at lowend response
and i think the bm6as aren´t that much better, didn´t like the smaller adams and genelec either, the only 6,5" in that price range i liked for their lowend were the focals... but if you really want them to go down low get 8" speakers!
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Head

So is it better than to buy the bm5 speakers and a sub?
Old 16th March 2010
Sonic Hooligan

Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Try some PMC TB2's.
Great boxes thumbsup Very fussy about positioning though, plus they demand a quality amp. Which gets a bit expensive..
I love my PMC's, but if EDM was all I did, I would perhaps consider something else, like a 2.1 system. The BlueSky range would be worth a look for sure.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search