Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Korg EMX-1 Solo
Old 6th September 2009
Gear interested

Korg EMX-1 Solo

I was intending on buying a synth untill i came across this. It seems to me much more versatile than a synth and have just as good sound quality as any VA synth of the same price. Would it be possible to use one of these in a band and control the keyboard part with an external midi keyboard? And use the rest for sampling.

It's gonna be drum and bass that im using it for (in a full band).

Need some opinions on buying this instead of a synth

Old 6th September 2009
Gear addict

Yes this is possible. Each part is assigned a midi channel and you can switch your keyboard between channels. The EMX responds to velocity for dynamics but be aware that the step sequencer does not record this information. This is the box's only downfall IMHO. Have fun though !!!
Old 6th September 2009
Gear interested

Sorry im new to this, just so i'm crystal clear... i could have a setup like this that would work..

Midi keyboard controller --(midi)--> EMX-1

EMX-1 -- (midi) --> Macbook
EMX-1 -- (audio) --> Macbook

Macbook -- (audio) --> Kaoss Pad

Kaoss Pad --(audio) --> Amplifier

I'm not sure how to use the Macbook yet... possibly with mainstage or reason. So if i dont use it...

Midi keyboard controller --(midi)--> EMX-1

EMX-1 -- (audio) --> Kaoss Pad

Kaoss Pad --(audio) --> Amplifier

These setups would work?
Old 7th September 2009
Gear interested

Also be aware that there is a limitation of the keys you can control via MIDI. For example, the 1-8 step key notes can only control a specific range, as I have learned from my experience. But I'm sure I'm still learning. If you want more information on Korg products and the E-MX1 then refer to Korg Forums

The Korg E-MX in itself can produce great D&B material, but I find its best to pick and choose different machines and sounds and put them together.

Buy this instead of a synth? Yes and no. Yes it is versatile, but use it well with other synths. The E-MX is in essence a multi platform, all round electronic music production system but it works well when you use other machines like I said before. I would strongly advise to buy it, you'd be suprised on what you can achieve.

Hope this helps.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search