The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland S750;Change NTSC to PAL Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Roland S750;Change NTSC to PAL

Hello fellow slutz!

I received my Roland S750 without a manual of anysort and it is set to output video through its composite monochorome out in NTSC (I think, since its video is flickery on my PAL tv-tuner and goes to normal if I switch the Tv-tuner to NTSC)
Do you know how to change the output of the sampler to PAL?
And by the way anyone knows where to find the manual? (I searched everywhere...)

Thank you all!
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

I am looking at the monitor for my s-750 and 760.It does not look like there is way to set it from pal to ntsc.
I have both samplers plugged into an rca plug patchbay then i patch the rca in on the jvc monitor to whichever sampler i need to program.I have used the rgb out on both samplers before but cant do that currently.The old monitor i had was an atari with the rgb cable that plugged directly into the samplers.
These things still sound great even after many years.I know these units well!
I paid 5000 us with drives and all way back in that day.Ouch did that hurt.
Using the monitor and a mouse is the only way to really get around these units Good Luck.

Dan P
Old 25th February 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, they do sound great.
$5000, my God a LOT of money back then! But then the economy was not in the mess it is today...
I bought mine for 126 euros and really is like new, but unfortunately came with just the basic 2mb memory.Oh well...

I thought you couldn't route video signals through a patchbay! Anyway, there must be a way to change the Ntsc to Pal.Very different formats and if all you have is a TV monitor, it doesnt work at all. Luckily I can switch the TV-tuner on my computer from Pal to Ntsc.
I found out on the internet ,that on the S760, if you keep pressed the mode button when booting, you can choose controllers and TV output;Ntsc-Pal.
I tried something similar on my S750 but it doesnt work.
For sure it not a option in the menus, after it boots though, I looked everywhere!

I hope someone knows the answer to that!
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

760 does that on boot but 750 does not.I also have the rc1oo control unit and that helps.

Dan P
Old 26th February 2009
alternative solution:

look at the AG Neovo X series monitors.
they have an analogue video input, and picture in picture feature, so you can use the monitor for the DAW at the same time.
Old 26th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
Hello fellow slutz!

I received my Roland S750 without a manual of anysort and it is set to output video through its composite monochorome out in NTSC (I think, since its video is flickery on my PAL tv-tuner and goes to normal if I switch the Tv-tuner to NTSC)
And by the way anyone knows where to find the manual? (I searched everywhere...)

Thank you all!
Does the S750 have S-video out? My S760 does, much cleaner picture. If you've got a monitor with an S-video input it's the way to go.
Old 26th February 2009
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
You can't.

Quote:
Welcome to Roland U.S.
Old 26th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
I am looking at the monitor for my s-750 and 760.
Here's my older post from Harmony Central. Maybe it might help you.

---start paste---

Bought this for $10:

To use it with this:

Some of you remember me using monochrome output from the S-550. But
it's really not comfortable to work with, even with maxed out contrast. :(

So i connected the Commodore 1084S monitor to S-550 and....

...it didn't worked. TTL standard is different. So i had to design a small
device that will invert horizontal and vertical synchronization. I found a
schematic for the "Roland" adapter cable, but it turned out to be wrong
and had to modify it a little bit. In the end i came up with this (which
also serves as a connector converter S-550 DIN -> SUB9 monitor):

kind of messy....

But now it works!

Vintage! Vintage!

Haha! Happy like a kid!

---end paste---

Schematic for the cable is here:
http://www.chezrossi.net/s760/images/rgb25i.gif

However, in the case of the above monitor, you should not use 1k resistor
for the vertical sync (going to transistor). I found exact value to be 0, so
use just a wire.

Note: If your PC has a video card, you can use S-video input, and have
your S-750 on your screen along with the DAW. I sometimes work this
way. It saves A LOT of time - practically as if you have a "softsynth" on
the screen (see bottom left):

Offtopic: personally i prefer S-550 due to its 12bit engine which brings up
instant signature sound of the late 80's/early90's techno. And the filter, it's
the most analog sounding filter Roland ever made, although it's digital. I
found the similar filter in D-70 and nowhere else, not even in JD (although
it has a magnificent filter, but different).
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you all for your valueble comments and advice.
I am downloading the manual from the Roland's US site as I am typing this. I followed some links I found about downloading the S750 manual which didn't work and didn't realize I had to register to access the manual section of the US site. I found only the support documents which had some S760 pdfs.
Thank you very much!

Regarding the S750, no S-Video, just monochrome RCA jack out and RGB.
I would like to use the color output too, but I don't have space for an RGB monitor and I am not handy with electronic circuits to built this converter I would need. Thank you anyway for suggesting this.

What I end up doing was buy a USB tv-tuner for my music laptop (a Toshiba P25 with a 17" screen) and using it's screen as a monitor for the S750.
I am on G5 for DAW, so no S-Video input there, but the solution I came up with it's alright, saves a lot of space and it is more eco friendly! Just the NTSC annoyance. Is there a converter from RGB to color RCA or S-Video by the way?

I had an old green monochrome Philips monitor for my Roland S50 which had this wining noise but actually looked great (all the UI of the S50 in green ,very cool) but it eventually became unreliable so I got rid of it.

Regarding the S550, as I said I have the S50 which is great in it's 12bit glory but still I am a bit tempted by the S550. I like the S50's sound quality a lot but also the S750 (which I only have for a few days) is very musical and sweet.

I will actually need to buy the expansion card for memory as it came with the basic 2mb and heard it is next to impossible to find. Apparently there is a German company making some board of their own for the S750 but anyone bought it or knows anything about that?

And lastly, I am going to buy soon a ZIP SCSI drive for the S750. Do you think a 100mb is sufficient or better to try find a 250mb one? I am not talking size, but rather reliabity compatibility etc.
I will then get a USB Zip drive for the PC so I can transfer sounds to the sampler using Translator. A friend tells me it is possible to do that, just that you cant use folders on the ZIP on the PC,the ZIP must be formated using the sampler first and that translator doesnt support reading S750 floppy images (as those downloaded from the Web) and can't write floppies for the sampler either.
Anyone using Translator with the S750? any comments?
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Dont use translator but i use zip 100 meg drives i have had lying around for years.250 drive will be less hassle.
Don Solaris had a real cool mod there.
I still have my atari monitor but it only has one rgb out.

Dan P
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Head

I have a spare RAS-770

anybody know if the ras-770 memory expansion board fits the S750. the dude i bought from said it does. I fitted one on my S750(ras750)heh__and i have a spare one(ras770).

heya Omegaomega, i will put it up on cheesebay soon, if you are interested, shoot me a PM.

cheerios.
Old 27th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublevel View Post
anybody know if the ras-770 memory expansion board fits the S750. the dude i bought from said it does. I fitted one on my S750(ras750)heh__and i have a spare one(ras770).

heya Omegaomega, i will put it up on cheesebay soon, if you are interested, shoot me a PM.

cheerios.
I am interested if it works on the S750. Does it look the same as the RAS750? What don't you try it on the S750, put some memory on it and see if it works?....
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
I am interested if it works on the S750. Does it look the same as the RAS750? What don't you try it on the S750, put some memory on it and see if it works?....
they looked identical to me. i will try it this weekend and let you know

Robb
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Head

[quote=omegaomega;3953905]I am interested if it works on the S750. Does it look the same as the RAS750? What don't you try it on the S750, put some memory on it and see if it works?....[/quote

they looked identical to me. i will try it on this weekend.thanks

Robb

*****sorry bout double post, ooops!**

Last edited by sublevel; 28th February 2009 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 21st October 2009
Gear interested

Question to Schematic of Cable NTSC to RGB

Hello Everyone, Hello Don Solaris,

i have a question regarding the Schematic of the Cable, shown in the post from 26th February 2009 05:02 PM (The Post with the Pictures).

I have downloaded the shematic of the RGB-25I Cable.
But i cannot found the transistor DTC 11 AFE.

Can you help me with finding the correct Transistor, maybe you have a link for me?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my bad english,

Oliver from Germany.
Old 21st October 2009

Any transistor will work. Just download spec sheet and find the one for the same current range and similar gain. Let me know if you get flickering. Found a solution too.
Old 21st October 2009
Try a BC550 NPN as a sub, should be pretty common there.

Kaz
Old 22nd October 2009

Ditto. Its purpose is just to invert the sync. Therefore any transistor for the given voltage will work - as long as it is the proper type, which can be seen on the schematic too. The specs don't matter either.
Old 23rd October 2009
Gear interested

Hi Folks,
thank you for the good tips and hints, now i have everything i need, i will post a feedback if this will work with my s760 and commodore 1084 .

:-)

Oliver from Germany
Old 23rd October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgplasma View Post
if this will work with my s760 and commodore 1084 .
It won't. Remove the resistor from the vertical sync line.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search