The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just Bought an Oberheim DX and Have a Couple Questions
Old 17th May 2008
Gear interested

Just Bought an Oberheim DX and Have a Couple Questions

I recently purchased a first generation Oberheim DX that does not have MIDI. It does however have two 1/4 jacks for "sync." Can these be used some how to get it synced up with other MIDI devices?

Second question, the only manual I have for the DX is for the second revision. It states that to edit system parameters all you do is hit edit and enter the parameter you want to edit. I've done this, but hitting edit doesn't seem to do anything? Perhaps this only applies to the second revision, and there are no editable parameters on the first revision or they're accessed differently. Any help would be appreciated.

Third, is there any place I could obtain replacement EPROMs for the DX? Ideally, I'd like to put all the DMX sounds into it instead . . .

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th May 2008
Old 18th May 2008
Lives for gear

Old 18th May 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Hey man.

Vintagesynth has a manual for it. Get it here.

Vintage Synth Explorer

alexP
Yeah, that's the one I have. It's for the second revision of the DX, so it's generally useful but occasionally invalid. I think the edit parameters functions will work (with the exception of MIDI related ones) if I try again; last night I realized the edit key works, but its light is burnt out so it's not always obvious.
Old 19th May 2008
Lives for gear

Prices aren't high, get the midi version and sell the other.

As far as replacement DMX sounds, that's a waste of time IMO, they're almost indiscernable from each other. If the idea's to expand the sounds, better to get some alternate sound chips for it on ebay, then use a DX stretch with it if you want even more sound options.
Old 19th May 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass View Post
Prices aren't high, get the midi version and sell the other.

As far as replacement DMX sounds, that's a waste of time IMO, they're almost indiscernable from each other. If the idea's to expand the sounds, better to get some alternate sound chips for it on ebay, then use a DX stretch with it if you want even more sound options.
The DX and DMX snare and bass sound pretty different to me, even with extensively tweaking the pitch controls in the back. I tried searching eBay but wasn't coming up with anything. I understand that the LinnDrum and a couple other machines used the same EPROMs? What might a good alternate eBay search query be for these chips?

The lack of MIDI isn't a deal breaker, but I wondered if there was another way to sync it without replacing it or doing any mods. For how I use it standalone operation can suffice.
Old 26th May 2008
Lives for gear

I had one of these years back & mine had midi.
I had only seen the one I had, so maybe mine was a newer version.

Nice sound, very 80's hip hop....
I was gonna get some chips for additional samples, but unloaded for my LA move.
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

The DX and DMX sound pretty different to each other..they only share a couple of the same sounds. I like them both equally. Also a fact for you.. New Order used a DX not a DMX as is always written on the net. Another internet myth!

Anyway 2732.. 2764 eproms are pretty common..I have about 50 here I pulled from 70's and 80's arcade games! If you know a little about electronics you can burn the samples onto 27128's and 27256 etc etc instead.
Old 27th May 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChemical View Post
Not sure about this unit as I haven't had one, but if it has a 1/4" sync input, I've found that just sending it trigger signals from the MIDI-CV module on my modular puts it into sync without any problems, so all you'd have to do is set your sequencer to fire off random notes at specific intervals.
I've been looking at these MIDI > CV converters and they all seem to be around $100. Not really worth the money for the DX's limited use.
Old 27th May 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Anyway 2732.. 2764 eproms are pretty common..I have about 50 here I pulled from 70's and 80's arcade games! If you know a little about electronics you can burn the samples onto 27128's and 27256 etc etc instead.
I've thought about it. But then I have to go and buy an EPROM burner of some sort and it just starts to become a hassle. I'd rather just find someone with a broken DMX or something who wants to get rid of the chips at some point. No big hurry, but it would be fun.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search