The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mini MIDI Controller That Can Switch Channels Quickly and be Programmed from Device
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Mini MIDI Controller That Can Switch Channels Quickly and be Programmed from Device

I'm looking for a (very) small keyboard controller with some knobs that has the ability to switch MIDI channels from the device, as well as be programmed from the device. The size of the MPK mini is what I had in mind. Any recommendations?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post
I'm looking for a (very) small keyboard controller with some knobs that has the ability to switch MIDI channels from the device, as well as be programmed from the device. The size of the MPK mini is what I had in mind. Any recommendations?
Is the MPK225 too large for you?

Great functionality and super easy to program with a real screen. Arturia Keylab25 also comes to mind. The problem with the smaller controllers that don't have a real screen is that you're continuously digging through manuals trying to figure out how to make it work.

How "on the fly" do you need to be be able to program it?

Greg
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
Is the MPK225 too large for you?

Great functionality and super easy to program with a real screen. Arturia Keylab25 also comes to mind. The problem with the smaller controllers that don't have a real screen is that you're continuously digging through manuals trying to figure out how to make it work.

How "on the fly" do you need to be be able to program it?

Greg
I don't need it to be too "on the fly," a few button presses is okay. I actually like the MPK225, I had one of the originals, it's just too big for my needs ATM. I fear the sample for the Keylab.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't need it to be too "on the fly," a few button presses is okay. I actually like the MPK225, I had one of the originals, it's just too big for my needs ATM. I fear the sample for the Keylab.
I hear you - the KL25 (and the 49 and 61) has been known for keybed issues - I have the 88 and love it but not the same animal. In any event, it's still a good buy when you consider the bundled software.

I did a S-ton of research for controllers over the last year and, as you know, it's really really hard to find 25 key controllers that have "real" midi DIN connectivity these days.

If you can step up to 49, that would help, but I've been looking for something similar to you since I have some boutiques and refuse to burn $99 on their POS K-25M.

There's actually a Behringer that I bought for the same $ that has real midi and is also an audio interface as well (and can run on batteries if you like), IS programmable and even comes with a mic, headset, bag and other crap for under $100.

I set it up once, programmed it (PITA) and it's been in the closet since. The keys suck and it's basically junk - would make an OK mobile solution (maybe) but nothing fun to play with/on...

I literally got it just to do CC93 (106 chorus) for my JP-08.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMA.../dp/B001DCN178

If you're local to me, I'll hand it off for a cheap case of beer

Greg
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
I hear you - the KL25 (and the 49 and 61) has been known for keybed issues - I have the 88 and love it but not the same animal. In any event, it's still a good buy when you consider the bundled software.

I did a S-ton of research for controllers over the last year and, as you know, it's really really hard to find 25 key controllers that have "real" midi DIN connectivity these days.

If you can step up to 49, that would help, but I've been looking for something similar to you since I have some boutiques and refuse to burn $99 on their POS K-25M.

There's actually a Behringer that I bought for the same $ that has real midi and is also an audio interface as well (and can run on batteries if you like), IS programmable and even comes with a mic, headset, bag and other crap for under $100.

I set it up once, programmed it (PITA) and it's been in the closet since. The keys suck and it's basically junk - would make an OK mobile solution (maybe) but nothing fun to play with/on...

I literally got it just to do CC93 (106 chorus) for my JP-08.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMA.../dp/B001DCN178

If you're local to me, I'll hand it off for a cheap case of beer

Greg
Haha, next time I'm in NYC I might take you up on that offer. As well as make a few patches on that Jupiter 8. How are you using your JP-08, by the way? And yeah, it's a pain with these MIDI controllers. Everything is USB now-a-days.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Haha, next time I'm in NYC I might take you up on that offer. As well as make a few patches on that Jupiter 8. How are you using your JP-08, by the way? And yeah, it's a pain with these MIDI controllers. Everything is USB now-a-days.
You're welcome to it!

The JP-08 I picked up purely as a novelty since it's completely redundant in my set up. I thought I might use it for travel at some point, but that hasn't happened.

Good luck in your controller search!

Greg
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search