The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much deskspace is an electronic musician supposed to have
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
Let's look at some info and see what we come up with.

Elektron is a maker of desktop devices. It's what they do and is what should be expected from them. Even the Analog 4 and the keyboard version of the Monomachine could be considered desktop devices. So, the first question we might ask is WHY does Elektron keep making their devices in the desktop format versus a rack mount format. I think the answer lies in the way the devices are designed to be used.

Elektron instruments are meant to be interacted with quite a bit. They have pads, buttons knobs and screens, all of which are much easier to access and use in a desktop format versus being vertically mounted in a rack. Their instruments are not of the "set it and forget it" variety. Usability is likely the driving force behind them utilizing the desktop format. Think of all the videos you've seen featuring their devices...there is always knob tweaking and button pushing going on. Who wants to do that sort of thing in a rack under their desk?

Elektron devices all have a similar (if not exactly the same) form factor and that makes design and manufacturing at least a bit easier as well as helps with brand recognition. Just from the shape one can tell that the device is something from Elektron. This is likely "by design" and intended moving from that can disrupt things.

I'm all for options. A product with many options can make it more versatile, usable, convenient and give it the ability to work in many different environments. But I also understand that there are well considered factors involved in product design and the designers usually weigh the pros and cons and come up with what they think is best for their product.

All that said, there is an option here, that seems simple. Elektron could create rack ears for their instruments. So the question is why doesn't Elektron do that?

Whatever you do...DO NOT GOOGLE "ELEKTRON RACK EARS"! Also, do not look for anything like rack shelves (static or sliding). In other (non-sarcastic) words, your solution exists and is only a online order away.
I am pretty much in complete agreement and find what you've written well reasoned but it does bring up a problem: Ergonomics. I can't stand this particular aspect of the 'tronz especially with regard to your point about them being meant to be tweaked and played continuously.

The fact that the control surface is parallel to the floor and thus 90° from my ideal posture based line of sight is a very poor design. Its not as if it isn't bad enough already with the new generation of cellphone posture hunchbacks, and those of use who've drank WAY too much coffee over the years don't need any spinal curving 'assistance' - I bought some of those rolling 5-wheeled MPC stands just so they could be at a useful angle. There are several 3rd party solutions out there but I find the angle is too demure for my scanning-for-predators ideal, and the real point is: IF Elektron was REALLY on it about desk vs rack in service of play-ability they'd be tilted pretty extremely, at least over 45° probably more like 60°
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm going to come right out and say it. . . I don't like rack gear anymore. If it's in a rack I kinda hope there's some software which does the same thing.

Hardware in electronic music for me is all about using the thing like a musical instrument (or something approximating that).

I make an exception for high end compressors or whatever. But synths and stuff, nah I don't want or need them in a rack.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Jaspers Keyboard Racks with extra holders are perfect for a bunch of desktop synths/gear.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Just because you want something doesn't mean it should exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Sorry, i just dont agree.
Wait. You don't agree that Elektron is a maker of Desktop devices? But they are. Look at what they make.
Maybe it's that you don't agree that we should expect them to release their devices in a desktop format...but that is crazy talk because we've already established that they do indeed make their devices in a desktop format. So...what don't you agree with?

You cite that the "market that has certain standards". Please point out those standards that indicate that Elektron should create rack mountable versions of their gear. Show me where ANY synth/sampler/sequencer manufacturer has been releasing 19" devices in any sort of standard manner. There is no standard...well, MIDI is a standard..but that's it.
Quote:
They sell in a market that has certain stadards. They should fullfill the standards.
Should? Based on what? Why should they fulfill any standard? Should they include a general MIDI sound set on all of their devices? Should they have standard pattern/song functionality for their MIDI sequencers? Should they all have CV ins and outs? What standards should they comply with? Are there any standards that the don't need to follow?

You cite that the "market that has certain standards". Yes, 19" is the standard format for rack mountable devices, but no where is there any standard that all devices must comply with all necessary form factors and formats. Hell, even in the modular world where things MUST work together, there aren't any standards.

Which of the following should be considered standard within the synthesizer market?
Joystick or pitch/mod wheel
1/4" or Banana or 3.5mm
5 or 4 octave keybed or 88 keys
Full size keys or mini keys
Volts/hertz or Volts/octave
Dedicated knob per function or soft knobs

In the case of the RYTM that you bring up...the standard for a drum machine and sequencer is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the 19" rack format. You're complaint about it is ridiculous.

Maybe what you think was standard in the 90s turned out to be in less demand in the following years and as such companies stopped offering rack mount versions of their gear. Hell, Roland made a ton of their synths in a 19" format and they stopped doing that 20 years ago. I think they probably know a thing or two more about the market than you.

JFTR...I've got several rack-mount synths. K4, MKS-70, Microwave, VZ-10M, Elevata, XL-7 and a JP-8080. The JP-8080 is the most directly interactive and takes up the most space to be able to include all the knobs and sliders on it. The problem with most is I don't do as much tweaking on them as I do with my non-racked synths...simply because they aren't as immediately accessible. Now, Both the Elevata and the XL-7 can be used as desktop modules and that's how I use them because access is easier that way.

Quote:
Everything you describe would be doable with a arackable version as well. Virus, Nordleads etc as examples.
And there rack ears that can be purchased for the Rytm mk2. But you dismissed that for some unknown reason. Oh, BTW, Rack ears is a standard thing and available for many devices that are small enough to fit into a rack.

Quote:
Did that of course. You sir, do not even know my room and place and whats in there.. you dont know my problem, but you assume you can solve it better anyways? wow...
My knowledge of your problem (aside from you being a complete *) can only come from what you said in the original post. You don't have enough (or want to use up any more) desk space for a desktop device and companies don't make devices for the 19" format. Those are the problems you gave us. I point out to you that you CAN put Elektron devices in a 19" rack and then you tell me I don't know your room? If what you in the original post wasn't your problem then my lack of knowledge of your problem is YOUR problem. Not mine. I can't be blamed if you don't give me all the information.

Then, you give us a link to your desk. The RYTM with the rack ears would fit perfectly in that thing. If you don't have enough space for it, then what? You want Elektron to make it smaller? Or cram everything into 1 or 2 space rack and force you to use external controllers? W

You also mentioned that this is not about your individual problem and also previously stated that you've gotten word directly from the companies who have told you that lack of a 19" version is an oversight. If any of that is actually true, then why are you here? You've talked to the source...the companies that have created these devices. They've given you the answer. Why come here with it when you were able to discuss it with the actual people that make the damn things.

Quote:
Its about companies that are not competent enough to put their gear in studio compatible formats... then call it desktop or performance oriented
Not competent enough? Let's think about this.
1. How many electronic musicians are there? Not just pros or ones that have desks with built in racks but any person that might be interested in any of the devices you've mentioned. That is the potential customer base.
Now...
2. How many of those electronic musicians have racks?
3. How many of those have racks that are angled enough so that the RYTM can actually be used within their rack?

I don't have the answers to any of those questions. But an intelligent person should be able to deduce that majority of electronic musicians (from the pros to the budding DJ in his/her college dorm to the hobbiest) probably do not have racks. Because most guys working in their bedrooms don't have tons of gear that requires a rack.
Of the musicians that DO have racks, I believe it's safe to say that most have the standard vertical rack....at least more of that than have the low angle racks.
Assuming that, and I don't think that's assuming a lot, the market is probably better served by supplying a desktop unit and giving it rack mount capabilities so that musicians without racks can use the device and musicians who do have racks can rack they gear as needed.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

i'm totally enjoying my non-ergonomic non-rack mounted synths drift in and out and a beer while i read this. i left room on my desk to hold a beer. should i only buy beer that is rack mountable?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
That does suck that you may not have a dedicated room. How much more does a condo with an extra room set one back in the Bay area- I shudder at the thought. My wife and I only have one child, like you if I remember, thus we seem to rarely use our dining room (we love watching TV and eating in the living room - ya, probably a bad habit). Perhaps if you guys also do not use your dining area much, you could use that space for your equipment.
In our town, if we want a good public school, we’re looking at around $1.2-1.3 for a 3 bedroom. It’s insane. If we get the 2 bedroom, there’s a decent sized breakfast nook I’d take over. It would be basically my dedicated space, but I’d have to make it attractive and neater than I keep thing now, which basically looks like a set from The Matrix. Anyway my idea is to maybe build a armoire type thing with a slide out desk so I can close it up when not in use. Maybe pair it down to a Quantum, Prophet 6 module and a mono analog... maybe a Voyager RME. Simple and sweet. It’ll hurt a bit, but my guess is I’ll just go on like I’ve always done. I had only one synth for almost a decade.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

hate the 19inch rackable module..hate it.. to me it's just like when the DX7 came in and wiped out all the lovely analog synths with knobs, all it says is screw me in a rack and forget about me, only talk to me in stupid MIDI protocols with a mouse.. hate the rack.

don't have enough bench space, get a bigger bench like I did.

And it always kinda makes me laugh wehn people buy rack synths and put them in a rack and use the software to control them, why not just use a bledin VST to start with..? oh the sound will be different..that's bollocks now and we all know it, plugs can sound as good as hardware in a track all day long.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I also hate the rack format. Long live the desktop module! If it can sit fine laying down or upright, all the better. You guys need to get more imaginative with how you place your stuff.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I tend to build out using the base's of office chairs or rolling medical monitor stands. based on the idea that a pole is probably the most efficient use of space. so a desktop form factor usually is better than a rack form factor for that. racks and desktops generally tend to work against one another. mainly because a rack is predicated on fixity, where desktops have a degree of independent portability.

usually industry or retail have the better robust solutions for use of space from what I can see. if I were asked what kind of universal type of attachment standard might be used for a lot of musical equipment, I'd probably go for including flush metal threaded receivers on the undersides of the bottom panels where possible. they could also be included in sidecheeks. you could include one to three without ever encountering design problems. similar to what they use in camera equipment. it should be pretty trivial to include and in many cases highly useful.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

get one of these and you rack as much gear in smaller rack cabinets as you'll ever want underneath on the shelf section..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

You just keep asking "why".
I explained where i see advantages for me. Whilst so far no one came up with advantages of gear being non-rackable.

Quote:
Just because you want something doesn't mean it should exist.
Of course it means that. What else would customer driven economy be about? The age where industry could produce without caring about customer wishes have ended in the 1960's.

Besides, if i dont voice my opinion loudly, how should these companies know its important to me?

Its not like i ask for a special form factor based on my needs. I ask for a formfactor thats an industry standard for electronic gear.

In short, i am not going to shut up. If a company wants my money, they have to make gear that fits into a standard studio.

I am not suggesting they should not do desktop stuff. The whole paragraph in your post about that is made up by you and not even remotely based on what i ask for. I ask for their gear to be adaptable into a standard rack. I am willing to buy and pay for a kit, like for Virus etc.

Quote:
Show me where ANY synth/sampler/sequencer manufacturer has been releasing 19" devices in any sort of standard manner. There is no standard...well, MIDI is a standard..but that's it.
Quote:
You cite that the "market that has certain standards". Yes, 19" is the standard format for rack mountable devices,
You got me confused here. Is there a 19'' standard gear makers should follow, or not?

Quote:
In the case of the RYTM that you bring up...the standard for a drum machine and sequencer is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the 19" rack format. You're complaint about it is ridiculous.
As already discussed and agreed to, thats true. I am not talking only about Rytm tho.
The problem i want to see tackled is: How are we musicians supposed to deal with so many different formats?
How can i put a dreadbox synth, an elektron synth and a waldorf synth togther into one functional, transportable and handable rack or form factor? Or into the standard studio furniture thats sold in music stores.

And why should we deal with it when there is no clear advantage for us musicians? Just because manufacturers cant be bothered? Its about us and our music, not about them and their devices. At least from my point of view.

Quote:
Maybe what you think was standard in the 90s turned out to be in less demand in the following years and as such companies stopped offering rack mount versions of their gear. Hell, Roland made a ton of their synths in a 19" format and they stopped doing that 20 years ago.
System 1m, Integra .. denial doesnt help a fruitful discussion.

Quote:
JFTR...I've got several rack-mount synths. K4, MKS-70, Microwave, VZ-10M, Elevata, XL-7 and a JP-8080. The JP-8080 is the most directly interactive and takes up the most space to be able to include all the knobs and sliders on it. The problem with most is I don't do as much tweaking on them as I do with my non-racked synths...simply because they aren't as immediately accessible. Now, Both the Elevata and the XL-7 can be used as desktop modules and that's how I use them because access is easier that way.
Thats all i'd ask for. Make gear so it can be used both ways. Like Access and Clavia do since ages.

Quote:
And there rack ears that can be purchased for the Rytm mk2. But you dismissed that for some unknown reason.
Not dismissed and of course noted in my answer post to you.
The cable positions is the problem. Lets take the Rytm as an example here. Its back side is flat and the cables take another 1 or 2U. You can take angled cables to reduce the dead space. But still, with standard use cases in mind, this should be easily avoidable, without disdvantage for anyone.

Quote:
My knowledge of your problem (aside from you being a complete *) can only come from what you said in the original post.
Where i didnt ask for any help or advice to solve a "problem", thus not stating any circumstances... You try to reduce it to a problem i may have with the Rytm. But thats not it. I used the Rytm as an example to point out the general problem.
And Elektron is a prime example for giving a **** about standards and forcing customers to buy special/unusual cables etc. Anyway, not my point to bash Elektron.

I asked how much deskspace am i supposed to have. @blinky answered correctly "as much as you need" .. so if i dont have space for it, i cant have desktop synths. In the past this didnt bother me much, because most grooveboxes are not of much interest to me. But now fully fledged synths and samplers like OB6, Peak, Rytm2 are designed a way they dont fit. And that bothers me indeed. Thats all i am saying.

Manufacturers should know i dont buy gear thats ignoring industry standards for no specific reason.
Sometimes things are too big or too deep or whatever to work in a certain formfactor. Thats understandable and no problem. But for most gear thats not true and the special formfactor is chosen because they dont know or dont care about customer needs.

Quote:
You also mentioned that this is not about your individual problem and also previously stated that you've gotten word directly from the companies who have told you that lack of a 19" version is an oversight. If any of that is actually true, then why are you here? You've talked to the source...the companies that have created these devices. They've given you the answer. Why come here with it when you were able to discuss it with the actual people that make the damn things.
Yea i go to a lot of tradeshows and talk to the people there. They are very open if its not public. The Novation guy for example ran around like a headless chicken promising everyone in the Novation room at Superbooth they would come up with a solution for the rack problem. They didnt.

Elektron said, they understand the issue and keep it in mind for new gear.. right, didnt happen for the mk2.

I am here, raising the topic, using social media to voice my opinion publicly in a forum i know these manufacturers care about. Thats all the influence i can muster, beside my wallet.

Quote:
Not competent enough? Let's think about this.
Yea i make pointy arguments. Exaggerated of course, but for a reason.. to keep the discussion going, to make it most visible. Thanks for taking part in this.

I think we should ask may be even demand loudly for what we want. You defend Elektron because i named the Rytm as one of the offenders. You do their work, their explanation, their excuses.

Try to ask yourself. Would the Rytm be any worse if it was designed to be screwed into a rack for those who want it? What would you lose if it had a recessed back side? Would there may be something to gain from it like putting it into a DJ rack together with an OB6 for live performances?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
hate the 19inch rackable module..hate it.. to me it's just like when the DX7 came in and wiped out all the lovely analog synths with knobs, all it says is screw me in a rack and forget about me
Not if its done right.. and you know that: https://www.google.de/search?q=euror...w=1280&bih=658

Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
They do make those right-angle cables that could probably fit in above a decently fitted 19-inch rack adapter (probably need to plug it in before mounting) even if the desktop unit does have the I/O on the top surface...

OR

Evil conspiracy created by someone who is cashing in on Elektron, Novation, and DSi sized cases/accessories and of course there are the evil influences of Big Copper that supplies the thirst for blood patch cables!

OR

The Secret Foreign Society for converting Americans to the Metric system has infiltrated the ranks of synthesizer designers that are now opposed to a standard that uses such an arbitrary width of 482.6mm! Metric!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

When I was watching Bladerunner the other day, there was a trailer for a Documentary with Matt Damon in it, about how you can get shrunk to the size of a mouse and live in a little miniature town with other mini people.

I'll try to find the name of the device they use to shrink stuff so it can fit on your desk. I think Roland have one already.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
That device has been around for decades... Casio had it back in the mid 80's

And Yamaha had done the same with their CS01 synth couple years earlier...

And here's the missing link... about the same time Casio's little sampler came out, Yamaha reissued their minikey synth as the CS01 II... look familiar?

This tech has been around for decades and the big 3 are all in on it (and others!)... they're just getting more confident now that no-one will stop them.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

So I was looking at the photo of that desk again and something dawned on me...you could screw 1/8" plywood into the bottom 4 (maybe 6 at most) rackspaces of each of the angled racks, and then use that as a perfectly angled shelf for say a RYTM on one side, and a Peak on the other. Problem solved?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

In short, i am not going to shut up. If a company wants my money, they have to make gear that fits into a standard studio.
Thing is the synth manufacturers have figured out they get more money by making desktop units that are not beholden to a standard created in 1922 by an American telephone company. That standard was created 95 years ago and when it was the idea of using 95 years later for musical instruments would have been laughed at.

Simply put there is a ton of money to be made in desktop units and just about all of those are smaller than 19" because that is what the vast majority of consumers want

You can shout from the rooftops all day long about your hatred of the desktop format, the reality is money talks, and as long as the masses keep on buying desktop units that is what will be made
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Simply put there is a ton of money to be made in desktop units and just about all of those are smaller than 19" because that is what the vast majority of consumers want
^

I doubt that Peak and the DSI 6's were intentionally done slightly bigger to get more sales.

Smaller is no problem if the back side is recessed or can be changed.

And about these 95 years ... some things are even better when aged ..

Like this or this or this
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
^

I doubt that Peak and the DSI 6's were intentionally done slightly bigger to get more sales.

Smaller is no problem if the back side is recessed or can be changed.

And about these 95 years ... some things are even better when aged ..

this

Great link to pictures of classic synths

You might notice

A.)none of those were around in 1922
B.)none of those are in 19" racks

As your link proves the market has never really gone all in on 19" rackmountable Synths

There was a period of time in the late 1980s and into the 1990s where a lot of synth manufacturers made rackmountable synths, however that was because

A.)They were digital
B.) Computers were not yet powerful enough to run multiple good sounding VSTs

That is not the case anymore
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Are you sure you got what this thread is about or are you just discussing for the sake of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
As your link proves the market has never really gone all in on 19" rackmountable Synths
What does this prove then?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not if its done right.. and you know that: https://www.google.de/search?q=euror...w=1280&bih=658

there is NO STANDARDS in eurorack, you know that right? 4 different hole locations, using the buss for voltage AND audio AND control. hahahha. and then there is the issue of power supplies.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
I have a 3-tier stand with wooden shelves, pretty similar to blinky909's stand. That has to fit every one of my desktop synths. I think that is quite useful approach, you have to think a bit about what you buy and what you want to use. Of course I have some rack gear too, but desktop is where the fun is.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
This is a classic Gearslutz first-world problem thread. Gear management can be understandably stressful, especially for the more obsessive compulsive among us, but sometimes it's nice to be able to go to other desks! any given desk! desks that you never thought of placing a 19-inch rack on top of!

Listed are 3 of the latest-greatest Desktop Synthesizers that all have patch recall, Step/Motion Sequencing, and serious sound capabilities, but you're here somewhere between moaning/gloating about non-adherence to AT&T equipment standards from the 20's, while it looks like the European telecommunications equipment standards adhered to ETSI 535mm wide racks.

So mail me one! less desk needed!

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack?wprov=sfti1
Attached Thumbnails
How much deskspace is an electronic musician supposed to have-img_1710.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

age old dilemma , the only answer is more space and create a u shaped or even surround 4 desk set up really , you can get a little more space by using laptop stands but for some gear you want it close to hand for jamming , i find if stuff is not in reach i tend to use it less or less deeply , constantly need more space ....
Old 4 days ago
There are valid reasons for the rack format. Rugged rack cases are a godsend if you actually leave the house with your gear. It's a great way to have several instruments front and center. It's ergonomic if you actually take 5 minutes to think about the proper racks to buy for installation (see my pic below). Also makes it hard for petty thieves to gank a piece or two in a short time. They probably don't ever think to bring a screwdriver, and carrying a heavy rack or desk away would be too much work for a person who steals from others.

Even if manufacturers don't want to make their gear 19" wide they could at least make the height for the standard rack unit and offer optional rack ears. I really don't think that's too much to ask. It's not like they're being forced to do it but I think it would be a smart move to make more sales from those of us who want it. Win/win.
Attached Thumbnails
How much deskspace is an electronic musician supposed to have-img_4772.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
age old dilemma , the only answer is more space and create a u shaped or even surround 4 desk set up really
I found my answer, not buying it. One has to vote strictly with the wallet. May be my sale wont change much, but buying regardless, would make things even worse. So for me its clearly, if it can be racked, it should be racked.. else no money from me.

I love all synths and therfor all synth manufacturers... So i am glad they wont go bancrupt due to so many of you buying accesoires to go along with their gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
there is NO STANDARDS in eurorack
May be.. but they all seem to fit into the same racks.. thats all i am asking for in this thread.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Not excuses, they don't care because they don't intend the equipment to be used like that. Simply a design choice.

19" rack is death for synths.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Not true, Behringer listened to the many requests in the DM12 thread for a rack-mountable version and made a DM12 desktop that also comes with rack ears, thereby proving that it can be done and that demand for it exists.

Other manufacturers simply show that they don't care about a sizeable chunk of their customers.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Not excuses, they don't care because they don't intend the equipment to be used like that. Simply a design choice.

They end up bolted to their dust free coffins... never to be heard again!

A lot of people have Novation Rack Synths, but does anyone really want to buy and play them?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search