The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB CV GATE for SH-101 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th September 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
USB CV GATE for SH-101

Old 13th September 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Zaphod Betamax's Avatar
Awesome! Could this power say 3 Monotribes on a parallel CV/Gate setup?
Old 13th September 2017
  #3
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Awesome! Could this power say 3 Monotribes on a parallel CV/Gate setup?
i'm pretty sure it can drive one monotribe , althought you might have to have the right cable.... that can be easily done...

Connecting CV's in parallel might not be a good idea ... the CV curve is non linear , and the device is calibrated .. so it might drift/detune a bit.... it will not damage the unit thougth... you can try....

This unit was designed and tested for SH-101 , i can warranty it will work on that....but im pretty sure it will work on other devices such as Dave smith Pro One...
Old 14th September 2017
  #4
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
This is a video of the module hooked up with ableton..

There is eventide Blackhole plugin on the SH-101 for post processing.

Its quite a lot of fun to make sequences in ableton and tweak some parameters on the synth ...

Old 15th September 2017
  #5
Cool! Does this pick up legato mode on the sh101?
Old 15th September 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
cake100's Avatar
 

Could you use a midi to usb cable into this? From another synth or drum machine or your interface?

I guess the computer also sends power to the device via the usb?
Old 15th September 2017
  #7
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Ordered.

If you can make one for the (original) Minimoog too, I'd be elated Otherwise, this just means I can dedicate my Kenton to just the Mini and have this for the 101.
Old 15th September 2017
  #8
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
nice one..
Old 15th September 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

How many bits is the DAC?
Old 15th September 2017
  #10
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks everyone for the feedback !!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperNET View Post
Cool! Does this pick up legato mode on the sh101?
i know what you mean , actually the legato is a function of the internal sequencer which makes a slope between the voltages... nope... it has not...althought is quite "groovy" already , im pretty sure you can emulate it by making tricky patterns... or activating the portamento on the synth.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
Could you use a midi to usb cable into this? From another synth or drum machine or your interface?
I guess the computer also sends power to the device via the usb?
I understand what you want to do
This adaptor is designed to be connected to a computer (Usb Host) , so no , you cant use a midi to usb cable...

and yes, devices is powered via USB..

BUT GOOD NEWS, im currently finishing stage for a module that does just what you want: classic midi to cv/gate (needs power supply). i am currently testing it with SH-101 and AKAI MPC2000XL

wait one week , and it will be available in the shop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Ordered.
Ordered

If you can make one for the (original) Minimoog too, I'd be elated Otherwise, this just means I can dedicate my Kenton to just the Mini and have this for the 101.
It will work with a minimoog... but i dont have any minimoog at hand to test it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
How many bits is the DAC?
12 bits my friend.
Old 15th September 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenga View Post
i know what you mean , actually the legato is a function of the internal sequencer which makes a slope between the voltages... nope... it has not...
Actually, the legato is a function of the synth itself.
If you set the synth to portamento->auto and you leave the gate at 5V, but change the CV then you get legato.

Usually this is done in midi by sending overlapping notes so you would have to process the midi input so that overlapping notes leads to gate signal not resetting between notes and only CV is updated for the new note.

So it's a limitation of your software and not of the 101.
Old 15th September 2017
  #12
Cool. So using my DAW and this, I can play the SH-101 with my MIDI keyboard as well?
Old 15th September 2017
  #13
He is correct. Not all midi to cv converters pick up legato. I've used a few with the 101 and some glide as it should and some just step to the next note. I'm currently using a arturia microbrute as my converter and it works great. It just so happens that an Arturia beat step does not work properly with the 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Actually, the legato is a function of the synth itself.
If you set the synth to portamento->auto and you leave the gate at 5V, but change the CV then you get legato.

Usually this is done in midi by sending overlapping notes so you would have to process the midi input so that overlapping notes leads to gate signal not resetting between notes and only CV is updated for the new note.

So it's a limitation of your software and not of the 101.
Old 15th September 2017
  #14
When you use a midi to cv converter with the 101 the keyboard gets killed. So yes, you can play the 101 from a separate midi controller but not both at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Cool. So using my DAW and this, I can play the SH-101 with my MIDI keyboard as well?
Old 15th September 2017
  #15
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Cool. So using my DAW and this, I can play the SH-101 with my MIDI keyboard as well?
DAW sees cv gate as a regular midi output, if you play your midi keyboard on it , yes i will play the SH-101.. it works that way with ableton.. its pretty straightforward..
Old 15th September 2017
  #16
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Actually, the legato is a function of the synth itself.
If you set the synth to portamento->auto and you leave the gate at 5V, but change the CV then you get legato.

Usually this is done in midi by sending overlapping notes so you would have to process the midi input so that overlapping notes leads to gate signal not resetting between notes and only CV is updated for the new note.

So it's a limitation of your software and not of the 101.
this sounds right...
if it works as you say... then just overlaping the notes in the pattern will give you legato...

i will make some tests...
Old 15th September 2017
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperNET View Post
When you use a midi to cv converter with the 101 the keyboard gets killed. So yes, you can play the 101 from a separate midi controller but not both at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenga View Post
DAW sees cv gate as a regular midi output, if you play your midi keyboard on it , yes i will play the SH-101.. it works that way with ableton.. its pretty straightforward..
Thanks. I will order one.
Old 15th September 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenga View Post
this sounds right...
if it works as you say... then just overlaping the notes in the pattern will give you legato...

i will make some tests...
Just some pointers for the auto mode:

If you have the gate high then portamento will be enabled. If you keep the gate high and you change CV then there will be glide.

A low gate signal actually bypasses/disables the portamento (when in auto mode).
So if you want to play a normal note (non portamento) then the CV should be already changed before the gate signal goes high.
Once you play a note you will get a gate high signal and portamento will be enabled, but cv is already at the destination and there will be no portamento. So you will get a normal note.

So, if you consider how the portamento works, you may need to make sure you output the CV before the gate signal to make it work correctly.
I'm talking here about the order in which you put CV and gate on the lines.
If your gate signal arrives before the CV change then it may not work correctly and you will always get portamento when in auto mode, even if you play short notes.

Edit: i saw you asked about 5V? I think the 101 triggers on anything above 2.5V or so, according to manual.
Old 15th September 2017
  #19
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Just some pointers for the auto mode:

If you have the gate high then portamento will be enabled. If you keep the gate high and you change CV then there will be glide.

A low gate signal actually bypasses/disables the portamento (when in auto mode).
So if you want to play a normal note (non portamento) then the CV should be already changed before the gate signal goes high.
Once you play a note you will get a gate high signal and portamento will be enabled, but cv is already at the destination and there will be no portamento. So you will get a normal note.

So, if you consider how the portamento works, you may need to make sure you output the CV before the gate signal to make it work correctly.
I'm talking here about the order in which you put CV and gate on the lines.
If your gate signal arrives before the CV change then it may not work correctly and you will always get portamento when in auto mode, even if you play short notes.

Edit: i saw you asked about 5V? I think the 101 triggers on anything above 2.5V or so, according to manual.

yes: gate trigers above 2.5v ... no pb..

i think we are in same page,

this is the way it works internally:
-Cv follows the midi key messages : AS FAST AS POSSIBLE
-gate: changes state on note_on note off

if you cascade many notes overlaping , the gate will never go down..until last note off midi message.

you are right.. the gate should arrive after CV is settled... but no biggy , DAC is pretty fast...
Old 15th September 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 
cake100's Avatar
 

Thanks for the responses.
One question about the Juno 60 arp trigger, can that work on the 101?
I would like to see a trigger for midi, usb and a pulse option all in one. A pulse option like this:
Old 15th September 2017
  #21
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
Thanks for the responses.
One question about the Juno 60 arp trigger, can that work on the 101?
I would like to see a trigger for midi, usb and a pulse option all in one. A pulse option like this:
The module from the video uses a audio output and generates a pulse...which is pretty useless ... when you can just use the rimshot directly ??? just select the right volume..

on the other hand , if you don't have a drum machine , you can use ARP-SYNC to sync to your daw..
how it works ?? very simple .. it will generate a pulse for each note-on message you send to the device (via usb)

by the way , you can also do that trick with CV-gate module... which is smarter, because you can also use it a cv-gate and to sync the arpegiator and seq...

Cheerios...
Old 25th September 2017
  #22
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks for the support guys... many units have shipped already !!
IM CRAZY !!!!
I'm letting go all stock now :

assembled PCB : $30
assembled PCB + plexy glass case : $35

Shipping worldwide
shipping rates are little lower now too !!
Old 28th September 2017
  #23
Got mine today. So far, works great with my 101 and Cubase on Windows 10. And yes, I am able to play the 101 from my controller. Thanks!
Old 28th September 2017
  #24
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Got mine today. So far, works great with my 101 and Cubase on Windows 10. And yes, I am able to play the 101 from my controller. Thanks!
Thats Great news Brandon !!!
Shipping is quite fast to the USA



There are only 7 units available for limited time...Check them out
https://www.tindie.com/stores/valpower/

I need to keep one unit for me
Old 28th September 2017
  #25
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Do you guys have any idea on which other synths this cv-gate module can be used with ????

what do you think ?
-sequential - pro one
-minimoog
-korg m-20

Any idea of others ?
Old 28th September 2017
  #26
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
This are some synths that might be compatible too:

Roland mc202
Roland tb 303
Arp odyssey
Prophet 5
moog prodigy
Cat synthesizer
Old 28th September 2017
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenga View Post
Do you guys have any idea on which other synths this cv-gate module can be used with ????

what do you think ?
-sequential - pro one
-minimoog
-korg m-20

Any idea of others ?
I just tested with my Micromac D and it works with that. It is the desktop model, but the synth part is your standard eurorack module. I have an MS-20 kit, but the CV control is Hz/V, not Oct/V so I don’t think it will work without some conversion.
Old 28th September 2017
  #28
I ordered one too, might be convenient from time to time
Old 29th September 2017
  #29
Gear Head
 
tenga's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
I ordered one too, might be convenient from time to time
Orders are shipped next day... normally one week for the USA !!
many orders from the USA !! god bless america!!
Old 29th September 2017
  #30
I am from Austria in Europe :P But looking forward to receiving the little helper
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump