The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roli Seaboard Grand vs. Rise Keyboard Controllers
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Addict

Roli Seaboard Grand vs. Rise

I'm looking into getting a Seaboard, just not sure which of them. I initially thought the Grand was the flagship model, but with a little more research I got the impression that the Rise has some features the Grand don't. Does the Rise has some new features and better technology as it is newer than the Grand? Which of them is best to play?

I know there is a price difference between them, but this is not an issue.
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear

https://support.roli.com/article/wha...ise-and-grand/

In short, there is a difference in dimensions of touch:

GRAND: Strike, Press, Glide, Lift
RISE: Strike, Press, Glide, Lift, Slide

I have a Seaboard RISE 49 and I love it, Slide is very nice, vertical movements up and down a keywave makes all the difference to me
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Addict

Old 10th September 2017
Gear Head

Don't get the Grand, it's actually less capable than the Rise in terms of expression. Another difference is that the Equator synth engine is built into the Grand rather than a separate software application.
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Old 10th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmessiah View Post
Don't get the Grand, it's actually less capable than the Rise in terms of expression. Another difference is that the Equator synth engine is built into the Grand rather than a separate software application.
Okay so I guess the Rise is the way to go then. I also read they changed the "keys" so they now have a flat point on top, is this for the better compared to the Grand which is more rounded?
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Addict

I will in first hand use it for "organic" instruments like Sax, guitar etc. I looks like the Rise has significantly smaller "keys" than the Grand which would lead to less control maybe?

I will use in the same this guy uses it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RrqWC3vWc

Looks like he is using the Grand, but this was back in 2014 so only the Grand was available
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
Okay so I guess the Rise is the way to go then. I also read they changed the "keys" so they now have a flat point on top, is this for the better compared to the Grand which is more rounded?
I believe the 'flattened' keys of the rise are due to user feedback from the grand. Many people complained about how difficult it was/is to find the correct note position on the grand. a little to the left or right results in a tuning change.

a cool thing about the grand is that it can store the equator soft synth on board so you don't need a computer. This would possibly be an advantage if you have your set presets configured in the grand for a gig.

I have a rise 25 and a 49. I really love them. I believe you have to approach these like a newish instrument. in the guitar/bass world it would be like learning a fretless bass.

I'd recommend the rise though I've never played the grand.
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
I will in first hand use it for "organic" instruments like Sax, guitar etc. I looks like the Rise has significantly smaller "keys" than the Grand which would lead to less control maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
a cool thing about the grand is that it can store the equator soft synth on board so you don't need a computer. This would possibly be an advantage if you have your set presets configured in the grand for a gig.
For real good instruments like sax and guitar you will need other software then Equator, something like NI Kontakt Player with instruments from www.impactsoundworks.com and/or SWAM-based software from www.samplemodeling.com

So having Equator inside the GRAND can be nice, but it would not help you to play sax and guitar, you would still need a computer.

The RISE seaboard has smaller keys, but this does not bother me because you will need to learn to play a seaboard anyway, so adapting to the smaller keys comes automatically
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music BE View Post
For real good instruments like sax and guitar you will need other software then Equator, something like NI Kontakt Player with instruments from www.impactsoundworks.com and/or SWAM-based software from www.samplemodeling.com

So having Equator inside the GRAND can be nice, but it would not help you to play sax and guitar, you would still need a computer.

The RISE seaboard has smaller keys, but this does not bother me because you will need to learn to play a seaboard anyway, so adapting to the smaller keys comes automatically
Just want to mention that playing the SWAM Cello with a Rise is a truly blissful experience.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hi cixelsyd

On your 2 RISE Seaboards, have you noticed that the velocity behaves differently on any of the keywaves? I have a 49 and one keywave outputs a higher velocity within a very small area of the keywave?

Quote:
I believe the 'flattened' keys of the rise are due to user feedback from the grand. Many people complained about how difficult it was/is to find the correct note position on the grand. a little to the left or right results in a tuning change.

I have a rise 25 and a 49. I really love them. I believe you have to approach these like a newish instrument. in the guitar/bass world it would be like learning a fretless bass.

I'd recommend the rise though I've never played the grand.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
Hi cixelsyd

On your 2 RISE Seaboards, have you noticed that the velocity behaves differently on any of the keywaves? I have a 49 and one keywave outputs a higher velocity within a very small area of the keywave?
I've not noticed this. Which key?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've not noticed this. Which key?
On mine its on the low G. It only happens within literally 2 mm out of the whole keywave.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search