The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ipad for sampling
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Nut

Ipad for sampling

Well I have been searching for a good portable battery powered sampler. I am a hardware based guy and I looked at the Roland sp404sx, the Akai Live .

However I think I have been looking the wrong direction. So now I am looking at Ipads, and their apps.

So my question to you guys who is using an Ipad(which model) for sampling and sample playback, what portable interface are using ?
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Addict

Lots of drumsamplers on the iPad but not so many full blown melodic samplers is there?

What kinda interface?
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Nut

Old 12th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

I use iMachine for fast sampling of environment and kitchen noises. Often with the inbuilt microphone. Which reminds me, i always wanted to look for a better quality, may bluetooth mic.

Anyways, the practical part with imachine is, you can directly load the files into machine.
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Beatmaker 3 looks the most powerful sampler/mangler on the ipad. Touted as the Ipad Ableton
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
If you can live without the portability but want more features, this is also an interesting option.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgI7L_D_BwE

I bought one back in the day and used it a couple of times with no major issues.

Greg
Yeah Greg, I looked at that and the Focusrite one, very kool but I do want the portability and midi cuz I plan to use it with my Korg Electribe2. I went to a friend gathering with the E2 was a hit, my friends and the kids really dug it. So this next time we hang out I wanted a sampler in the mix. Plus I have some friends who are old skool and like just music, this way I can mix some electronica in and then throw some Hendrix on in the middle to satistfiy the old skoolers.
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
looking at this interface

https://griffintechnology.com/us/studioconnect-na17132

Looks portable too, the other would be the Korg Iconnect which runs about $80

For software either Beathawk or iMPC
Definitely avoid iMPC.

Beatmaker 3 will reign supreme once it's past the teething stage. As it is it makes a fantastic sample player/instrument but not the complete package yet.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

I used Beatmaker 3 yesterday to sample a toy piano that was at the house we were staying...just built in mic. I had fun...I'm not likely to carry around a dedicated interface while on vacation but the built in mic was good enough for my needs.
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Nut

I guess I should ask which Ipad is everyone using. I know the idea is generally to get the best and newest one, but our any of the older ipads worth getting?
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Addict

Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac

I have a 9.7" iPad Pro using it with Cubasis and the iMPC Pro. Also have Samplr installed, but don't use that as much. I have an Audient id14 audio interface that works with the iPad. I often record external synths into Cubasis, but I must use the Audiobus 3 app to get Cubasis to recognize my external synths. Latency is really good, and I have no problems with crashing or anything like that.

So far my experience is that the iPad is a great portable DAW, but with the way plugins (apps) are their own separate entities, it sometimes can be tricky to get everything synced up. Once you find how it works (usually takes a few tries), write down the pattern and memorize it. In the beginning I would get frustrated cause I could not figure out how to play my Pro 2, record the midi in Cubasis and trigger the Pro 2 with local off on the synth. This is how I work in Ableton, Reason, Pro Tools, etc. So I would somehow get it working with Audiobus, but then I'd forget next time. Now I write all my discoveries down.

My workflow is Cubasis is the main DAW. iMPC Pro is on drums duty, as a track in Cubasis. It is midi synced, tempo matched (manually in iMPC Pro, for some reason can't get it to recognize Cubasis' tempo). I use Animoog, and some external synths for sounds. I have been getting great, professional results, in Cubasis. I bought all of the mixing device packs, which are like 10 bucks each or something cheap. The fx in Cubasis are pretty good, albeit some of them are too simple.

As for finishing tracks in Cubasis, I feel like with any iPad DAW, it would take extra work. There are some workflow limitations, and being stuck on a little screen is not ideal. I would rather finish tracks on my 34" widescreen/ curved LG monitor than my 9.7" ipad. The lack of creative plugins in Cubasis also limits me creatively somewhat. Although, you can stack multiple effects either as inserts or sends, just like in any DAW.

Getting all your drums into iMPC Pro is pretty easy, and is done through iTunes. You just copy the drum folders you want into the user area of the iMPC library. I will say that scrolling through sounds in the iMPC Pro app is a pain. There are these little graphics you must press next to the name of each drum/sound file in order to preview it. And it is really small and takes multiple tries. For some reason, pressing the actual file name does not do anything for me. There is no scrolling for sounds either. Gotta keep pressing their little obscure buttons.

Thus my only real complaints for iPad music production is that the workflow is somewhat limited and annoying at times. You might also get some shoulder or neck stiffness, depending on how you have it set up. I have my iPad on a clip mount, attached to the synth stand holding my Pro 2. It's pretty easy to just start recording, distraction free, on the iPad.

*Forgot to mention that the iMPC Pro can sample from your audio interface or the mic. So it's easy to hook up a turn table/radio/CD player/cassette player to your iPad through the audio interface and sample directly. I also use the MPD232 to trigger the iMPC, but I must use the note repeat buttons on the iPad in iMPC Pro, and not the ones on the MPD232. Wish the MDP line was more fully-integrated into the iMPC Pro app.
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac
I use the old iRig which was meant for guitars, but it cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WV...JQKJ7GPTNE89B8

I record into AudioShare which an easy sample editor. From there I export all sounds to Dropbox and the import them into my Daw (Bitwig). Most other apps can export to Dropbox.

So many of the songs I make in Bitwig have beats that came from iPad via AudioShare and Dropbox. The free 2gb of space in Dropbox is enough, I still haven't filled it after like two years.
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Addict

I don't recommend using the headphone 3.5mm plug as interface input. It's noisy. Get an audio interface that uses the lightning port...

Behringer UCA 222 is the cheapest I think
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
looking at this interface

https://griffintechnology.com/us/studioconnect-na17132

Looks portable too, the other would be the Korg Iconnect which runs about $80

For software either Beathawk or iMPC
Wow! I just saw the price of that (£29.00) and nearly clicked order before I realised it's for the older iPads with the old connector (hence the massive price drop)
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Wow! I just saw the price of that (£29.00) and nearly clicked order before I realised it's for the older iPads with the old connector (hence the massive price drop)
Maybe it will work using a 30 pin to lighting adapter like this one:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...-02-m?fnode=91

I use it with my Alesis I/O Dock and had no problems at all.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Maybe it will work using a 30 pin to lighting adapter like this one:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...-02-m?fnode=91

I use it with my Alesis I/O Dock and had no problems at all.
Great thought! Thanks for the info on the Alesis also!
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I should ask which Ipad is everyone using. I know the idea is generally to get the best and newest one, but our any of the older ipads worth getting?
I have a 9.7" iPad Pro. It's damn fast. As small of a price difference as there is, it makes very little sense to me to buy a significantly older generation.

I also have the very first gen iPad, which still works...I have an Alesis audio dock for...and it actually still runs some older apps like Animoog, ims20, Poly six, rebirth, samplr...

But the reason you're really gonna want a fast one is because you'll probably want to pull it all together into a host app, which means you'll be running several (many?) apps at once in a more complicated session.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Samplr is a pretty good iPad app for manipulating samples
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Nut

Well I won a bid on a Ipad air2 with 64gig storage and 2 gig ram. I plan on getting Fieldscaper first, that looks pretty much what I want and I will probably go with Samplr too. I really am looking for an app that I when I edit a sample it tells you the length of the sample in BPM like Roland SP808/yamaha su200 do. I don't know if either Fieldscaper or Samplr do but they do such amazing things they both deserve a try for sure.

Fieldscaper just looks and sounds so damn amazing. I watch the dude take a Kmart sales announcement and make it into an awesome ambient crazy tune.
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Two Times View Post
I have a 9.7" iPad Pro using it with Cubasis and the iMPC Pro. Also have Samplr installed, but don't use that as much. I have an Audient id14 audio interface that works with the iPad. I often record external synths into Cubasis, but I must use the Audiobus 3 app to get Cubasis to recognize my external synths. Latency is really good, and I have no problems with crashing or anything like that.

So far my experience is that the iPad is a great portable DAW, but with the way plugins (apps) are their own separate entities, it sometimes can be tricky to get everything synced up. Once you find how it works (usually takes a few tries), write down the pattern and memorize it. In the beginning I would get frustrated cause I could not figure out how to play my Pro 2, record the midi in Cubasis and trigger the Pro 2 with local off on the synth. This is how I work in Ableton, Reason, Pro Tools, etc. So I would somehow get it working with Audiobus, but then I'd forget next time. Now I write all my discoveries down.

My workflow is Cubasis is the main DAW. iMPC Pro is on drums duty, as a track in Cubasis. It is midi synced, tempo matched (manually in iMPC Pro, for some reason can't get it to recognize Cubasis' tempo). I use Animoog, and some external synths for sounds. I have been getting great, professional results, in Cubasis. I bought all of the mixing device packs, which are like 10 bucks each or something cheap. The fx in Cubasis are pretty good, albeit some of them are too simple.

As for finishing tracks in Cubasis, I feel like with any iPad DAW, it would take extra work. There are some workflow limitations, and being stuck on a little screen is not ideal. I would rather finish tracks on my 34" widescreen/ curved LG monitor than my 9.7" ipad. The lack of creative plugins in Cubasis also limits me creatively somewhat. Although, you can stack multiple effects either as inserts or sends, just like in any DAW.

Getting all your drums into iMPC Pro is pretty easy, and is done through iTunes. You just copy the drum folders you want into the user area of the iMPC library. I will say that scrolling through sounds in the iMPC Pro app is a pain. There are these little graphics you must press next to the name of each drum/sound file in order to preview it. And it is really small and takes multiple tries. For some reason, pressing the actual file name does not do anything for me. There is no scrolling for sounds either. Gotta keep pressing their little obscure buttons.

Thus my only real complaints for iPad music production is that the workflow is somewhat limited and annoying at times. You might also get some shoulder or neck stiffness, depending on how you have it set up. I have my iPad on a clip mount, attached to the synth stand holding my Pro 2. It's pretty easy to just start recording, distraction free, on the iPad.

*Forgot to mention that the iMPC Pro can sample from your audio interface or the mic. So it's easy to hook up a turn table/radio/CD player/cassette player to your iPad through the audio interface and sample directly. I also use the MPD232 to trigger the iMPC, but I must use the note repeat buttons on the iPad in iMPC Pro, and not the ones on the MPD232. Wish the MDP line was more fully-integrated into the iMPC Pro app.
Yeah I am really not looking to use a daw on the ipad but rather a sampler that can edit sample in BPM like a Roland SP808 does, I have researched every sampler app out there and none seem to do that. Some have said Beatmaker 3 will do it but I haven't seen a video yet where anyone uses it in that way. I have also said to myself maybe people don't know that you can edit a sample in that way, maybe they have been editing by ear for so long they know of no other way. And just so you guys know on the sp 808 if I know the tempo of a sample(say a drum loop), I set the recording threshhold so that it only records when it hears a sound. Hit sample button to record and then stop. The beginning of the loop will be perfect and then I just trim the end of the loop until it reads the correct bpm and ala....a perfect loop.
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fieldscaper just looks and sounds so damn amazing.
FieldScaper is brilliant on so many levels.
Endlessly inspiring but simple to use.
Easily one of the greatest things to ever hit the iPad.
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
FieldScaper is brilliant on so many levels.
Endlessly inspiring but simple to use.
Easily one of the greatest things to ever hit the iPad.

I totally agree , it was the first app I bought for my ipad. This is the video that sold me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp88NkJpy2M&t=185s

I mean come on , took a Kmart instore commercial and turned into something out of this world.

I see using it with my sp808 for now.
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

Ipad Air2 or 2017 standard ipad, if you want to be comfortable (Trust me, you will soon be making near entire compositions on it, i wanted it for sketches, now most of my work has been near enough completed on ipad)
Beatmaker 3 is the app of choice moving forward, rapid updates, desktop equivalent feature set, developers who are interested in listening to the user base.
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
I don't recommend using the headphone 3.5mm plug as interface input. It's noisy. Get an audio interface that uses the lightning port...

Behringer UCA 222 is the cheapest I think
That doesn't use the Lightning though does it?

Anybody, What small interface does? Preferable with a midi in
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
That doesn't use the Lightning though does it?

Anybody, What small interface does? Preferable with a midi in
You need the Apple CCK USB/lightning cabel

Or something like this KORG

plugKEY - MOBILE MIDI/AUDIO | KORG (USA)
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

Forgot about the korg, perfect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search