The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please take me to your leaders, why the Juno love?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Please take me to your leaders, why the Juno love?

Is it a Europe thing? I don't get it please prove me wrong.

Sincerely:

The dude with moogs obys and arps
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

They have a big sweet spot and a simple intuitive interface. Thats it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Overrated but iconic. Way too 80's in a bad way.
Old 1 week ago
digital ears love analog

I've never used the 6/60/106 but I love my Alpha Juno because it can do what many analog synths can't: sawtooth PWM...
Old 1 week ago
Love it, its my favourite tone...pure eighties Roland.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Love my alpha juno 2. Just sounds great. Easy to program and compact and easily repairable. I love the 80s ness. It's why it's my analog poly. I want 80s ness.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Love it, its my favourite tone...pure eighties Roland.
Alright then, have always respected your input is it a E verses W thing?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
Is it a Europe thing?

No, I think that was a JX-8P, not a Juno
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
For me it was "that" chorus on the Juno 60. I heard Behringer/TC are planning on building one ... can't wait. Also agree about the PWM thing.

They were just simple and fun and affordable and (most importantly) *nothing too serious*.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post

No, I think that was a JX-8P, not a Juno
Doesn't matter, watched the whole clip
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Alright then, have always respected your input is it a E verses W thing?
Its possible...I know ISIS have no love of the 6 or 60, in fact they play an Ensoniq Mirage at their get togethers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't matter, watched the whole clip
duh it's beautiful
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Its possible...I know ISIS have no love of the 6 or 60, in fact they play an Ensoniq Mirage at their get togethers
Alright then no 6's
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

They question is, why wouldn't you like them?

The 6 and 60 look awesome, sound great, easy to use, great bass, leads, pads, strings.

Relatively cheap compared to the Jupiter series, the 6 and 60 are reliable.

Arguably the best beginners synths that can really teach you subtractive synthesis.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Juno 6 and 60, still sound amazing, gold, lush, they hold up well against the big league in sound.

I'm not into the Juno 106 and alpha.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos707 View Post
They question is, why wouldn't you like them?
Not sure about the OP but, I've always thought Roland synths sounded kinda characterless. I'm not sure about their really old analog (70s) but I don't think they became interesting until they went digital. I feel the same way about Yamaha actually. Of all the vintage analog going for crazy prices, when I see the Rolands I'm always flabbergasted. I realize I'm in the minority here, just answering your question honestly.
Old 1 week ago
I dont have enough persinal experience of the 6 or 60 other than "fake" supernatural emulations. I love the 106 and the alphas though. The S8 scratched the 106 itch but now theyre selling well sub $1k (maybe because of the S8) my interest is rekindled

Ftr Ive no idea why I bought an S8, never intended too but Im glad I did as its an excellent synth...I drink imperial IPA and go online, its not the best combo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bought a Juno 6 in 1996 and sold it last year. It had been in a cupboard for close to 10 years though as if bored me to tears. It has an ok basic tone but it is unbelievably limited. Sure it can be made interesting with boat loads of processing but I don't always want to be forced to do that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Not sure about the OP but, I've always thought Roland synths sounded kinda characterless. I'm not sure about their really old analog (70s) but I don't think they became interesting until they went digital. I feel the same way about Yamaha actually. Of all the vintage analog going for crazy prices, when I see the Rolands I'm always flabbergasted. I realize I'm in the minority here, just answering your question honestly.
That's cool, sound is subjective.

There's a lot great music out there made with Roland analog synths from the 80s. Electro, Italo, synth pop, house, techno etc all used them heavily during their best years IMO.

Depends on the music you like I guess
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Junos are great if you are interested in writing actual music. They have just enough voices, the voice architecture simple enough to avoid being used for wacky sound effects, and they have a relatively small sound which makes them easy to place into a mix.

Bitching about a Juno is like bitching about a Rhodes piano. If you are butt hurt about the fact that it isn't a modular synth then you are missing the point. Play a good chord progression on one in an actual song and you'll find that it has a sound that just works.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post
Junos are great if you are interested in writing actual music. They have just enough voices, the voice architecture simple enough to avoid being used for wacky sound effects, and they have a relatively small sound which makes them easy to place into a mix.

Bitching about a Juno is like bitching about a Rhodes piano. If you are butt hurt about the fact that it isn't a modular synth then you are missing the point. Play a good chord progression on one in an actual song and you'll find that it has a sound that just works.
I loved my 6 while I had it, but once the price rose enough it didn't make sense to keep it anymore. I played "actual" music in bands with it and yeh it's perfect for that. The chorus always bugged me because it makes it sound big and lush but it gets a little hard to turn it off. Selling it got me my Wurli, never regretted it for a second.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post

That may well be true if you only like songs with very basic saw and square patches that have been done to death.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
That may well be true if you only like songs with very basic saw and square patches that have been done to death.
Tell me about it, like the Violin in classical music, how over used!

Still sounds better and more musical than modular farts

So boring!

https://youtu.be/GaTLk6ea9jo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't get me wrong I'm not into experimental noise, I like music on the tuneful end of the spectrum but I just find the Juno too limited. It makes maybe 20 sounds and then anything else is pretty much a variation on those. I am just making the point that you have to like bread and butter basic synth tones to like the Juno, if you want to go beyond that it is going to disappoint.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I see the Juno 6 as kinda like a nice electric guitar, an instrument with a pleasing basic tone but something you're gonna have to FSU with pedals to get the really interesting stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't get me wrong I'm not into experimental noise, I like music on the tuneful end of the spectrum but I just find the Juno too limited. It makes maybe 20 sounds and then anything else is pretty much a variation on those. I am just making the point that you have to like bread and butter basic synth tones to like the Juno, if you want to go beyond that it is going to disappoint.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
My first synth in the 90s was a juno 6 (for £50!)

I've since owned all the junos (6/60/106/alpha 1/2 &mks-50) some of them multiple times (alphas and 106). 106 is my favourite all round. It feels nice to use, solid, decent range of sounds (it really does seem a touch less limited than the 6/60 tonally and doesn't sound quite so samey all the time), lovely tone, often beautiful sound on pads, and looks great. Also it's an 80s icon and something that us middle aged guys can look back on and think 'yea we were kids in the 80s and couldn't afford them'. In all these respects they are nice, and you can make great music with them.

On the flipside, I've never managed to hold on to one, always letting them go before other synths (in my case Polysix of which I've also had a few, JX-3P etc). Mainly because yeah.. they do kind of get old faster than other synths, they don't really have any edge to them, nothing much to discover beyond the same old same old, quite basic but nice sounding... well when you have options things like the much purer/rawer polysix is far more exciting to me (even over some bigger dual VCO super synths btw who's tone can't match up to the polysix discreet oscs and SSM filter).

The alphas are my least favourite, but fun enough, they just sound a bit safe, insipid... very soft (the filter is the culprit here - that stupid weak plasticky IR3R05 as found on JX-8P/10 too).. I find the alphas and most of the junos in fact are only really great if you are just making pure synth music where they can be heard, if you bring in guitars, and rock elements, the junos tend to end up sounding so lost or generic that you may as well use a soft synth... or in my case, something more likely to go toe -to -toe with overdriven guitars (for me Moog slim phatty, ex sub 37.. polysix etc)

Junos are still nice to have around but mostly surplus if you have a selection of other synths, but it's entirely dependent on the type of music you make. William Orbit was in love with his 106 because for his music (and the stuff he produced) there was tons of space and ambient air around the mixes so the juno sounded great, for many other uses it just won't have the balls to push through a mix (though perhaps the 6/60s punchy fast arp bass sound can always find a use even amid guitars - Muse use one for example).

they were a great synth for a great price for what they were in the 80s, and are now collector's items and nice objects to own if you have the cash, I can't see the harm in anyone getting one if they want. You only live once and they are doing nobody any harm AND at least they don't sound like nails down a chalkboard like lots of modern DSI gear (or JX-8P)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I see the Juno 6 as kinda like a nice electric guitar, an instrument with a pleasing basic tone but something you're gonna have to FSU with pedals to get the really interesting stuff.
I always hear people raving over the chorus, is it really that good? I have never had the chance to play one
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search