The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choose 4 Vintage Polysynths!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Choose 4 Vintage Polysynths!

Choose four. Discard the rest.

Jupiter 8
Ob-x
Prophet 5
Arp/Rhodes Chroma
Memorymoog
Voyetra 8
Matrix 12/Xpander
Trident
Ob-xa

Choose whatever version of these you prefer, assume midi, software editors that currently exist, but no crazy expensive programmers (ie: Enabler).

Assume yours is relatively stable, and requires no insane maintenance beyond what is standard for any vintage synth.

Try to come up with the most balanced selection in terms of features AND sound qualities you value (ie: huge vs. silky resonance).

Explain choices, and say which you've played in person!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

oh, keep in mind: try to remove overlaps unless you really like them (ie: 12 db filter is your thing), and explain why you'd leave out this or that synth.

also, assume you won the lottery to pay for it!

(no digital or hybrids. no cs-80 cause even the lottery can't afford that. no modern analog.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

wow. so if it ain't berhringer, nobody's interested in anything? damn.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The number needed to be 7 vintage polysynths or maybe 11 monos. And explain why it's more interesting to talk about synths than play with them. I'd make my choices based on a mixture of the alphabet and numerology.
Old 1 week ago
4 is an unnecessary llimitation. 7 is fairer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Making them all stable makes this a total fantasy

Reliability is a major attribute when judging vintage polys

In reality - The Jup8 is king because it is relatively more stable and reliable than the others
Old 1 week ago
I'll have to be honest and say I have absolutely zero interest in any of them except the Matrix 12 / Xpander. Okay, maybe marginal interest in the Prophet 5.

Really, the Oberheim M12/Xpander is the holy grail of vintage gear for me. In terms of monos, the EMS Synthi AKS really seems up my alley as well.

Reasons: Steve Roach and Pink Floyd. Enough said?

I would love to see modern recreations of those.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ok I'll play:

- Jupiter 8
- Prophet 5
- Memorymoog
- Obxa

Reason: I think those are the nicest sounding of the bunch. All bases covered, except there aren't monos on the list.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
already forgot everything except pick 4 and why... basic reason for these 4 is i've played them (all around the same time) and liked and never owned and you said i get to have them
  • Oberheim OB-X (or Xa) - it's the sound, i love the X/Xa Oberheim sound (won't complain if it's an OB-8 either)
  • SCI Prophet 5 - light glitter shimmer fizz beautiful poly (back-in-the-day the sound of this synth and the OB-X told me the 70's were over, music that sounded like this had to be out there)
  • Korg Trident - Synth, brass, strings in one instrument. I've always liked this combo, guessing most people won't pick it; not a killer synth imo, it's a utility instrument with great sound. Glue for music from late 70's,early 80's.
  • Roland Jupiter 8 - played this least. Great pads/strings.

...in the end the reason is the same for all of 'em; great sound
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

assuming they are all working and dont need any fixes (lol I know..)

Chroma
Jupiter 8
Voyetra
Matrix Xpander
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

1.Poly>Waldorf Wave
2.Mono>Synthi A
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would be quite happy with these four (in order of my favorites) as long as they were in perfect condition all with MIDI:

1. Matrix 12
2. Ob-x
3. Prophet-5
4. Memorymoog or Jupiter 8 (sorry, I can't make up my mind)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Own the MM+ J8 Trident and a SSM P5, still plan to get the rest of the list. Also OB8 is equal with J8 and MM+

Still my favorite of all time is the ARP Quadra. CS60 CS70m and cs80 should be added to the flagship synth list.

Also, for fun, how about personal downers on the ones I own.

Memorymoog - lots of ear piercing non musical timbres
Jupiter 8 - Only like 10% better than a Juno 6/60 for now 10x the price
Trident - Polysynth leaves alot to be desired
Prophet 5 - Oscilators are wild. Great if you arent trying to make music :P

Last edited by plasmasynth; 1 week ago at 04:05 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Memorymoog - for the real Vox Humana sound
OBxa - just because it's OBxa

that's it.

Then add a Solina and I'm done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I own my version of this list -

JP8
Xpander
Voyetra 8
Prophet 600 gligli (or the P5 from your list)

I'd add my SH5, Oscar, Modall 001, and Oddysey as monos for a similar list
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Roland Alpha Juno 1
SCI Six-Trak
SCI Split-8
Korg Poly-61
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I find this thread discriminates unfairly against us mono-synth people. I've filed a grievance with the ACLU. Expect to be hearing from them and my attorneys.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I find this thread discriminates unfairly against us mono-synth people. I've filed a grievance with the ACLU. Expect to be hearing from them and my attorneys.
you are of course free to start such a thread!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasynth View Post
Own the MM+ J8 Trident and a SSM P5, still plan to get the rest of the list. Also OB8 is equal with J8 and MM+

Still my favorite of all time is the ARP Quadra. CS60 CS70m and cs80 should be added to the flagship synth list.

Also, for fun, how about personal downers on the ones I own.

Memorymoog - lots of ear piercing non musical timbres
Jupiter 8 - Only like 10% better than a Juno 6/60 for now 10x the price
Trident - Polysynth leaves alot to be desired
Prophet 5 - Oscilators are wild. Great if you arent trying to make music :P
is it possible to get a rev 2 with midi installed that's stable? I've heard otherwise, though it's unclear to me what would make midi make a synth 'unstable.'

Arp Quadra?! I love stringers and my Solus, but if they had a baby with a phaser pedal and a 1 osc monosynth in a really cool multicolored getup, isn't that a Quadra. Not sure there's too much there that could be 'more than sum of parts,' except for some good ole' Tony Banks nostalgia (and Tony is pretty great).

I'm curious about the MM. So few good demos! It always sounds a little harsh to my ears, and in the demos I've heard, the 3 osc sounds (I know, one can use 2 osc!) seem a bit too full and too 2D at the same time in odd ways. Never appealed to my ears like the others (which is good, cause it's expensive and a supposedly one of the least reliable of the old polys sans upgrades). But I'm figuring people speak so highly of it for a reason. Def has lotta modulations, but my guess is the ladder filters work some wonders in ways that many of the demos have not quite revealed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelevin View Post
The number needed to be 7 vintage polysynths or maybe 11 monos. And explain why it's more interesting to talk about synths than play with them. I'd make my choices based on a mixture of the alphabet and numerology.
Well, it is more interesting to talk about synths than play them when you've worked your day job all day and are taking distracting breaks in between work to talk about synths.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
already forgot everything except pick 4 and why... basic reason for these 4 is i've played them (all around the same time) and liked and never owned and you said i get to have them
  • Oberheim OB-X (or Xa) - it's the sound, i love the X/Xa Oberheim sound (won't complain if it's an OB-8 either)
  • SCI Prophet 5 - light glitter shimmer fizz beautiful poly (back-in-the-day the sound of this synth and the OB-X told me the 70's were over, music that sounded like this had to be out there)
  • Korg Trident - Synth, brass, strings in one instrument. I've always liked this combo, guessing most people won't pick it; not a killer synth imo, it's a utility instrument with great sound. Glue for music from late 70's,early 80's.
  • Roland Jupiter 8 - played this least. Great pads/strings.

...in the end the reason is the same for all of 'em; great sound
Trident is really quite underrated as a SYNTH. Sounds pretty amazing. My Mk1 sits next to my Obx and neither sounds better, just diff in cool and interesting ways! The strings, flanger, as amazing as they are, that's just extra goodies.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The thing about the Quadra. That phaser is amazing and a large part of the sound. There is a VCO for the Bass synth two for the Lead and you have the poly and string divide down sections. You get all the sections firing and its bone tingling. You can also send in a bunch of external inputs as well as two different sequencers. I'm pretty crazy for them and actually have almost three of them. Goal is to get at least four to have more poly options for the lead side. Yes its crazy. Quadra would be last to ever go
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
You're the victim of synthesists!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'll just take a Polysix and leave those others for the market to fight over. I don't need engine complexity in vintage VCO poly, just a great filter and a proper electric sounding VCO and I'm good. Polysix hits that mark for a lot less coin.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Picking 4 out of 9 seems strange. 4 polys is a lot. Why 4?

Why the list of 9? What about the Jupiter 4, Jupiter 6, MKS-80, Juno 6, Juno 60, Juno 106, JX-3P, Alpha Juno, Polymoog, CS-60, CS-80, Electone EX-1...

It's just. I. Don't. Understand.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Jupiter-8A (later version) + Xpander (US version), of the supplied set. I love the OB-X, but I'd rather have something not on the list (Four-Voice or Eight-Voice).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Out of the list, I'd choose:
Prophet 5
Jupiter 8
OBX
Xpander

Xpander would be good for a more "sound design" synth, crazy modulation and filter types, ambient soundscapes.

Personally though I'd switch one of the 4 with a vintage hybrid. PPG or Prophet VS. I feel that would compliment the other 3 analogs better. But that's just me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Jupiter 8
OB8
A6 (eh it's vintage now)
CS80

I own all of them but the CS80. JP8 is my favorite synth. OB8 is the best balance of classic OB sound, stability and features. A6 is for when you need something deep that nothing else can do.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'll take 4 Jupiter 4's please
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
And an ob x sorry
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search